VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
7,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WHo has changed out there rear axle? How big of a pain is it to do? I was in an accident last year and the body shop fixed everything or so I thought. I didn't really see the damage till I put wider rims on the car now one side sits farther in than the other. I'm guessing the rear axle is bent.

· Registered
6,442 Posts
Re: Replacing rear axle (capthowdy_1968)

It may have just moved, the main bolts holding it to the car go through the mounting plates in oversized slots. On a buds MK3 he had the same problem. With a lift and some time with a ruler we were able to get it back square.

· Registered
1,374 Posts

It is a solid axle but the mounting plates that attach the axle beam to the body of the car allow for a fair bit of adjustment. If you loosen the bolts I think you may be able to push the axle beam around about 1/4 to 3/4 of an inch.

· Registered
7,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Replacing rear axle (Insane_VR6)

I'll have to look at that. I will take pics down the side of the car and maybe you guys tell me if that's the problem, not sure if looking at it will do the trick though.

· Registered
1,374 Posts

I had dropped the front of my axle beam when I removed the centre muffler and I had to use a tape measure to make sure it was sitting properly side to side and front to back. I hope this is the problem, the axle beam is designed to bend when hit and not really push to one side so if it were bent it shouldn't allow the tire to stick out. Measure the distance from the edge of the seam in the sill and the mounting plate to see if it is centred.

· Registered
7,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Replacing rear axle (Insane_VR6)

Here are the pics. I was run off the road last fall and had a hard time finding a replacement rim so I put the speedlines on and had no problem. I found a replacement rim last month and put my aftermarket rims on, then I lowered the car a bit more. That is when I noticed the difference.
The passenger side is what went over the curb.

I am not real sure what you are talking about measuring.

· Registered
1,374 Posts
Quote »
I had dropped the front of my axle beam when I removed the centre muffler and I had to use a tape measure to make sure it was sitting properly side to side and front to back. I hope this is the problem, the axle beam is designed to bend when hit and not really push to one side so if it were bent it shouldn't allow the tire to stick out. Measure the distance from the edge of the seam in the sill and the mounting plate to see if it is centred.

Give it a try, that doesn't look bad at all.

· Registered
7,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: (capthowdy_1968)

I measured from the bracket below the bolt to the lower door sill area, I got 7 1/2 inches on the drivers side and 7 inches on the passenger side. Using this pic what do I need to loosen to move the axle over?

· Registered
6,442 Posts
3 bolts on each side, the thing that the "bracket " line goes through on the left side of the picture. If that doesn't quite explain it, the 3 bolts going into the body on the thing that you measured from.
Be aware that you can also move it front and back so measure from a few different spots ( side to side and front to back ) to make sure you have it centered. You'll need to go down for an alignment before long also.

Modified by Pigsdofly at 2:57 AM 9-11-2005

Modified by Pigsdofly at 2:58 AM 9-11-2005

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.