VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I brought this up in another thread, but here's the gist: I have a 2019 Ridgeline (<17k miles) and a 2019 Miata (Club/BBS/Brembos/Recaros) (<10k miles). Both fully paid for. This past year, my wife and I had our first child. For the past two years, I've been working from home. I haven't been driving a whole lot anyway, and most of the mileage has been on the Ridgeline. The kicker came when I did the yearly oil change on the ND and I realized that over the past year, I only put 1435 miles on the ND. Ugh. I thought it was twice that.

I really like the ND, and have taken it on road trips to South Carolina, Tennessee, etc much like the NA and NC I've had previously. The ND is gorgeous. I put a suspension and a muffler on it. I've clearbra'd the entire car. It brings me great joy to drive it.

The Ridgeline I bought as a consolidation of my Golf R and my old Ranger. It works well as a family car and does stuff-hauling when I need it (plus I love the in-bed trunk). With its torque-vectoring rear, it handles well for what it is, but it's not exciting. I've still only put 17k miles on it in the last 2.5 years.

I also don't really like having 'things' around that I'm not using. So once I realized how little I've been driving the ND, I started to think if I should sell it (seeing how resale values are at an all-time high).

I could sell the ND and the Ridgeline for pretty much what I bought them for ($30k and $40k), and buy one vehicle that splits the difference between them. Something in the new-car world that can work for family type duties and one that's fun to drive (and also something a little 'fancier'). I've been bouncing between the idea of a Mach E GT, S5 Sportback, RS3, SQ5, and a Macan S. I'm open to other options.

Out of those, the Macan S seems to be the "best" (and also the most expensive) combination of what I'm looking for. For 2022, the Macan S is updated, has the previous-year GTS engine, and PASM standard. It still "needs" a bunch of options to be where I want it, to the tune of $78k-$80k (and is available to get at MSRP). I have taken my tape measure to see a Macan to check the rear seat space, and the baby seat should work, but I need to take the baby seat to the dealer to confirm.

I was planning on keeping the ND untilI could upgrade it to a higher end sports car, eventually (C8, 911, Cayman/Boxster), but seeing how few miles I'm driving the ND as it is, that's hard for my minimalist brain to feel good about getting replacement sports car in the reasonably near future.

I really don't want to be another example of Guy Has Kid And Immediately Sells Sports Car, But I also don't really like the idea of having the car sit in the garage, not moving much -especially when resale values are at an all time high.

On the Plus side, having a singular vehicle would reduce insurance and space requirements (but probably not maintenance if I go for a Macan), and I should be able to put a reasonable number of miles per year (~7500) on a single vehicle. And the Macan S is a sweet vehicle that everyone says is great to drive (but it's no sports car). And right now is a great time to sell.

On the Minus side: I'm spending more money to have less 'experiences' in my garage, and I become another statistic of selling a cool car after having a kid. And I feel, while the Macan S (or similar) is cool, it's not as cool as the ND.

Thoughts?

Pics for clicks:

Automotive parking light Vehicle Wheel Tire Car

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
7,851 Posts
I can’t tell you what to do. What I will tell you is the following:

Your kid will only be young so long. Eventually, he will be able to ride in the Miata, and I have many happy memories driving my older daughter around in my S2000. They both love riding in it (younger only goes a few blocks, she’s too small/young still) and love the car. They see it as a special treat because they can ride with dad, in the front seat, just the two of us. And it’s something different that none of their friends have.

Also, I occasionally need to get away from the family, as will you, and a run in the sports car is cheap therapy and me time. Get up early on a Saturday or Sunday, take a drive, bring back some bagels or donuts, whatever, it’s an hour, a few buck’s worth of gas, and puts me in a better mood for the rest of the day.

Also, I bet if you look, the marginal cost of a paid for Miata is maybe $1k/yr (discounting the capital tied up in the car). Insurance is cheap, maintenance is cheap, consumables are cheap; it just doesn’t cost much to keep it around. For the price of a dinner for 4 at a crappy chain restaurant per month, you have access to one of the greatest sports cars of all time, whenever you want.

Now, all that being said, you are in a little bit different spot than me. If you decide to sell your Miata, and you change your mind, you can go buy another one. New, used, super cheap, old, whatever, there’s a Miata at all price levels and they are easy to find. For me, my biggest hang up and why I’ve held onto my car for so long, is that once my car is gone it’s gone. I wouldn’t pay what it costs to get another, rolling the dice in the used market, deal with all the crap out there. There are far fewer S2000s than Miatas. So you kinda have that luxury. If you want the car gone, sell it. You can always get another.

My opinion is that your issue is what I faced a while back; you have a boring daily, and a really fun occasional car, but 95%+ of your time is in the boring daily. So you think sell both and get a fun daily and you’ll be all set. And it might work for you. My solution was to go off in left field and get another equally fun daily that is the opposite of my sports car. So no matter what I drive it isn’t boring, and I can switch back and forth between them (half the year anyways) when I get tired of one. My suggestion is ditch the Ridgeline, get a more interesting DD, and keep the Miata.

But you do you. No one else can make that decision for you but hopefully the thoughts from someone who has been there helps you out 👍

·
Registered
43,395 Posts
Also, I occasionally need to get away from the family, as will you, and a run in the sports car is cheap therapy and me time. Get up early on a Saturday or Sunday, take a drive, bring back some bagels or donuts, whatever, it’s an hour, a few buck’s worth of gas, and puts me in a better mood for the rest of the day.
agreed
i have a 1.5yr old and this is exactly my feeling on keeping the old quirky cars around. i dont have as much time to wrench on them should something go sideways - not an issue for OP's ND - but the minimal cost of keeping neat stuff around and the huge value i get out of alone time or time spent enjoying the drive is worth it.
im not to the stage yet where i can take her for drives but i can see that being priceless as well

My suggestion is ditch the Ridgeline, get a more interesting DD, and keep the Miata.
yup, this

also, on the topic of fcking car seats, we're both pretty tall and i found the nms passat sized back seat was about the only thing that would allow us to both fit up front with some comfort with the seat back there. tried an older range rover sport, no fcking way, alltrak, nope! itd have to be a giant suv or a really long sedan.
now that shes in a convertible seat its a liiiittle bit better, but i cant imagine the backseat of any of those sporty/swoopy SUVs having much room if you or the lady are decently tall trying to sit in front of it. and the spend 80k on that discomfort would be annoying.

·
Registered
A chili pepper and an empty crate.
8,696 Posts
Handful of thoughts here, expanding on the other thread:
  • Miata doesn't do you any good if you aren't driving it. Macan will be sportier than the Ridgeline, so ironically selling the sports car means the majority of your driving will be in a sportier car.
  • Porsche maintenance isn't bad, especially on a new car. Despite corporate ownership, their reliability is more in line with Toyota than VW. Biggest problem is the price of repair parts.
  • Macan is less useful than it's size would imply. The fastback cuts out a lot of space and all the chassis stuff takes out rear seat room. In terms of interior you end up with slightly more utility than the Golf, but you do gain a reasonable tow rating and some soft roading ability.
  • On that note, if you're using the Ridgeline for truck stuff, consider the Macan + a cheap utility trailer. Lowes and Tractor supply both sell a 5x8 utility trailer at a reasonable price which the Macan can pull no problem.
  • Consider the Cayenne. It's slightly bigger and doesn't have PDK, but pretty much everything else is better on it. The Macan and 718 are Porsche's "entry" models and they do make sure the rest are a step up.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Tough thing to decide. I find people go back and forth between multiple dedicated cars, and then the one do-everything car. That said, the Ridgeline is a perfect forever-dd vehicle for your family and you have that open bed for house stuff. It does not have to be sporty when you have a sports car for that itch. Not sure if you plan to keep it long term, but that bed is only going to get more useful as your kids grow and start doing stuff.

The Miata is a pure hardcore sports car (hardcore in it's mission) and that makes it absolutely wonderful for a toy. You could keep it as your fun car, take more pleasure drives, and then have something you might want to mod a bit more - but a great fun car in the garage until you shift to something else. You didn't drive it much, but you love the time in it, and think about it? If so, it is scratching that itch, it's doing it's job, so to speak.

I did something similar to you when i sold my Miata years ago after heavily modding it and only doing 3000 miles in last two years. It made no sense to keep it since i could barely drive it (wouldn't drive it to court for work). I miss it.

It is nice to run one nice car, makes things cheaper, simpler, and easier, and a Macan (V6) would be a great all-around car, but it will never match the Miata nor the Ridgeline in their abilities, and the Macan in particular does not seem much larger than a Golf R.

Ultimately i think we end up doing A and miss B, do B and miss A. You might absolutely love the Macan as a do-everything in style car, or you might find it's just a Golf R on stilts with a nicer interior and a 50% price premium. Maybe it's just time to go back to one car since you are already thinking about it - no matter what, a Macan will be nice even if you end up not loving it.

A final alternative with such low miles would be to trade your Miata for $30k worth of Cayman. Since you barely drive you can then have a glorious sports car that you can mod further, enjoy, and not get offended at the low level of use. That lets the Ridgeline take it on the chin for daily use. That is what I would consider doing.

·
Registered
A chili pepper and an empty crate.
8,696 Posts
Another option would be to trade both for a CUV and then find a hooptie NA or NB. For 1500 miles a year it won't matter how rattly it is, and you're not going to feel as guilty if it sits.

·
Registered
45,716 Posts
I can’t tell you what to do. What I will tell you is the following:

Your kid will only be young so long. Eventually, he will be able to ride in the Miata, and I have many happy memories driving my older daughter around in my S2000. They both love riding in it (younger only goes a few blocks, she’s too small/young still) and love the car. They see it as a special treat because they can ride with dad, in the front seat, just the two of us. And it’s something different that none of their friends have.
This. I tried having 2 CUV's in the household. It was a drag. Sold it 9 months later. I think in a year or 2 you'll be regretting selling the ND or not saving the money for a 911...

My now 3 year old loves going for rides in the Cayman. Always yells "Gooooooooooo" when I step on it

·
Registered
7,180 Posts
I'll probably be primarily against the grain by saying dump both cars and consolidate. Less is more, especially when it comes to cars that take up space, require maintenance, detailing, insurance, etc. If not driving them, get rid of them.

If you can buy a brand new Macan S cash, well, it's hard to argue with that...unless you want to sell both, buy something ho-hum and boring for $40k cash brand new, and pocket $30k, but that's no fun and not what you're asking about. It also seems you are well enough off that you can just buy another Miata later on whenever, so no point hanging on to something you aren't using given the market is where it is. Now is an excellent time to get rid of an extra car and this won't last forever. Just make sure a carseat fits in the Macan, or, as ghost said, it seems you would have no problem being able to step up to a Cayenne, so maybe just do that and be done with it and call it a day.

One funish car you can look forward to driving every day wins out over a boring ass DD and a fun toy car you never use, IMO.

·
Registered
Corolla Hatchback
8,746 Posts
Is the Macan as roomy backseat wise as the Ridgeline? I understand the cash argument, but would it be an upgrade in terms of day to day function? I sold my fun car because of the right market and bought a nicer car thats a better daily and still fun but there isn't a day that goes by that I don't miss the fun car and look for another one

·
Premium Member
11,711 Posts
My instinct is to Marie Kondo the Miata (aka get rid of it)

IMO people get too tangled up in the possession side of a car. Maybe because I've bought and sold so many cars I just don't care. But if the Miata isn't bringing you any enjoyment get rid of it. IMO you will get more overall driving enjoyment and less hassle from the Macan. Seems like a no brainer to me.

My only caveat will be to check car seat fitment in the Macan....... **** gets tight.

·
Registered
B8 S4, E30 325ic, both blue
2,940 Posts
I also vote consolidate, but apparently the Macan is pretty tiny inside, like Golf tiny. Def a consideration for the next couple years of rearward-facing child seats.

My suggestion: look into the ~2014-2017 Cayenne GTS.

·
Registered
9,085 Posts
This. I tried having 2 CUV's in the household. It was a drag. Sold it 9 months later. I think in a year or 2 you'll be regretting selling the ND or not saving the money for a 911...

My now 3 year old loves going for rides in the Cayman. Always yells "Gooooooooooo" when I step on it
I agree with this. Trade the ND in for a 911 (or other 2+2 sports car), to take advantage of the period between ages 2-10. I use mine as much as possible, including taking the kids to extra curricular activities, friend's, etc. Soon they will be too tall to sit comfortably in the back, at which point I'll likely just go full on sports car and ditch the rear seat requirement.

As fun as a Macan is for a CUV, you'll be left feeling a void once the newness wears off.

·
Registered
7,823 Posts
Swap Ridgeline for a Passport or Pilot, keep the Miata.

But if the Miata must go, I'll give you $15k for it this weekend. I'm up the road in B-more and I'll let you borrow it whenever you want. ;) :p 🍺

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I'm not sure the Macan is going to drive $50k better than the Ridgeline. Plus it sounds like it may not work as well as the Ridgeline already does for you.

If you're bored of the Miata, I'd at least look for something more interesting in that same $40k range. Since Porsche has been thrown out so much, $40k will get you a clean 997 (maybe an early one with IMS issues but those should have been taken care of by now). It should continue to hold its value and at ~2k miles a year maintenance/reliability wouldn't be a big factor.

·
Registered
B8 S4, E30 325ic, both blue
2,940 Posts
I'm not sure the Macan is going to drive $50k better than the Ridgeline. Plus it sounds like it may not work as well as the Ridgeline already does for you.

If you're bored of the Miata, I'd at least look for something more interesting in that same $40k range. Since Porsche has been thrown out so much, $40k will get you a clean 997 (maybe an early one with IMS issues but those should have been taken care of by now). It should continue to hold its value and at ~2k miles a year maintenance/reliability wouldn't be a big factor.

997.1s are creating $50K again unless you like high miles/low-options/grayscale.

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
Honestly, I would consolidate. If you’re looking for a sports car itch, you can always satisfy that later in life when you actually use the car. But if you’re just sitting on a car, that sees <5k a year, that’s just a waste of money. And at $70-80k I’d be looking at a GTS, base Taycan , or maybe a GLC 63 if you can find one that’s not marked up to hell.

Also in my personal experience I found my Ducati far more interesting to fix and ride than my old S2000. And on the plus side, motorcycles are easy to store, you can disable insurance during the off-season, and you generally get a lot more performance per dollar on a motorcycle.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
997.1s are creating $50K again unless you like high miles/low-options/grayscale.
They are, but I've seen them around $40k once in a while.

Although, I'm seeing 996s over $30k again so sounds like it's just climbing all over the place.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
My .02 is if you love the MX-5, then keep it. Make time to drive it. When my kids were little I sold my MR2 Turbo, I don't regret that decision, but I also filled up my time with bicyling which I loved. If car's are your hobby then make time for it, if you have other hobbies that take up your personal time and the MX-5 will never be driven then ditch it.

It's been said on other "dad threads" here on the TCL that you need to make personal time for yourself, as does your wife, when your kids are little. It's not healthy or sustainable to abandon all of your personal pursuits when you have kids. You and your wife should be able to work out a schedule that is mutually agreeable.

If you are good with the Macan, despite being way less practical than the Ridgeline, what about getting back into a MK7? What about ditching the Ridgeline, buying a great MK7.5 GTI (which should be as practical as the Macan) and keeping the MX-5 for your personal time and date nights with the wife?

Personally I'm just not a Macan fan at all. I know they drive great, and have Porsche quality, but I think they look goofy and because they offer no more practicality (other than a bit of ground clearance) over a Golf R means I'd rather straight up have my MK7.5 R (manual!) over a Macan.

·
Registered
'18 Camry SE, '15 F150 XLT, '98 M3, '91 GTI VR6
5,018 Posts
My .02 is if you love the MX-5, then keep it. Make time to drive it. When my kids were little I sold my MR2 Turbo, I don't regret that decision, but I also filled up my time with bicyling which I loved. If car's are your hobby then make time for it, if you have other hobbies that take up your personal time and the MX-5 will never be driven then ditch it.

It's been said on other "dad threads" here on the TCL that you need to make personal time for yourself, as does your wife, when your kids are little. It's not healthy or sustainable to abandon all of your personal pursuits when you have kids. You and your wife should be able to work out a schedule that is mutually agreeable.

If you are good with the Macan, despite being way less practical than the Ridgeline, what about getting back into a MK7? What about ditching the Ridgeline, buying a great MK7.5 GTI (which should be as practical as the Macan) and keeping the MX-5 for your personal time and date nights with the wife?

Personally I'm just not a Macan fan at all. I know they drive great, and have Porsche quality, but I think they look goofy and because they offer no more practicality (other than a bit of ground clearance) over a Golf R means I'd rather straight up have my MK7.5 R (manual!) over a Macan.
+1 on keeping your personal enthusiasm alive. I didn’t want my enthusiasm to get in the way of parenting, which led to the purchase of (eep) a Camry and an older Outback. I wouldn’t recommend that.

Now our kiddo is 2.5 and his enthusiasm for cars and trucks has really exploded over the past year, coincidentally around the same time I put my E36 M3 on the road. Despite only being my daily for about 4 months (primarily shuttling him to and from daycare) he still gets excited about “going fast” and pointing out “daddy’s car” in the garage or in my workshop. Something about the experience in that car isn’t something that the Camry or now the Mk4 Golf can provide. The F150 makes V8 noises so it can “go fast,” but I don’t daily it.

I don’t view the Macan as a bad compromise - but if it’s true that the utility isn’t far off from a Golf, I’d say just get another GTI or R.

I may or may not hang onto the E36 long term, but I’ve more or less given up on trying to daily it. I am hoping the Mk4 can carry me through the rest of daycare bills until I’m able to throw down on a Mk8 GTI and keep that long term. It’s never been as exciting as a Miata but it’s one of the more exciting cars that still has loads of utility.

A GTI/R also wouldn’t require you to get rid of the ND. While you could always sell it and get another one later, there is something to be said about holding onto a car that brings your personal enjoyment (again, super important in parenthood) but also something you bought new and set up how you want it.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Do nothing.
Why is it bad if you aren't putting the miles on a car? You'll miss it when it's gone.
Upgrade the ridgeline if you want but keep the miata.
I put maybe 500 miles on my 14 boxster last year. I could sell it for $10k more than what I paid for it.
I have no interest in doing that.

I had a great combo with a 4wd tacoma and a cayman. Decided to get rid of both and get wrangler.
Thought it'd be close since the convertible of the wrangler is appealing. It wasn't.
In the end I felt I still needed a sports car. My combo with the wrangler/boxster is pretty good now.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts