VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be doing this soon and wanted to know if there is anything I should pay attention to.
I have the Bentley manual and they recommend using a special tool, but the VW dealership did not know what I was talking about. They said only the VR6 needs a special tool.
Also in the FAQ, there is mention of a anti seizing compund, but Bentley does not mention it.
Any suggestions on tools, gapping, procedure and anti-seize grease/ compund would be welcome.
BTW dealership wants $180 for the service, plus $20 (x4) for spark plugs. I can get the plugs much cheaper, so I am not worried.
Let me know if it is worth doing on your own, (is it something that can easily be screwed up) or should I cough up the 180?

·
Registered
12,366 Posts
Re: Replacing spark plugs (Deezz_Nuttzz)

I will help...
1st....you need a 5mm allen key to remove the small plastic box and metal mount plate that sits over the #4 cylinder - 10mm socket/wrench for the one nut - and then the allen key for the 3 bolts that go into the valve cover....the stock Gap is .32 for these cars..if you are chipped or modded and are doing a one colder heat range plug like the NGK BKR7E that I use, the gap is .28...pre-gap your plugs if you can.....usually spark plug sockets come in 2 sizes, one small, one large...you need the smaller one of the 2 (don't remeber the exact size).....and i recommend tapeing the socket to the extension you will need cause the socket stays on the plugs often on my car..the plugs need the metal cap screwed on them as well..some plugs come with them off..make sure it is on there and tight....if you don't know what i'm talking about you shouldn't be doing this!

quick DIY....do this on a cold or cool engine....do this one cylinder at a time...
1.Take off engine cover
2.Remove the plastic box and metal mounting plate from over #4 cylinder
3.Use small flathead screwdriver to push tab at the top back of the ignition harness on the coil....slide the plactic connector back and off....(see pic below)

4.Grab coil with both hands with as many fingers underneath it as you can..and firmly pull the coil straight up..it will "pop" out when the force is enough....do NOT pry with a screwdriver or anything..they will come out....
5. set the coil aside someplace clean
6. Remove the spark plug and look at it....make sure it looks right (slightly tan or grey at the contact is ok) if wet, or oily, or very black you got issues...)
7. Take the new plug and HAND screw it in (stick it into the socket 1st and the taped extension and screw it in by hand, not with the ratchet yet)...if you need force for the 1st 5 turns you are cross threading it.....then use your ratchet to tighten..the manual calls for 22 ftlbs...but i do it by hand..screw it in firmly but DO NOT kill it..you can strip the head.....
8. Put the coil back in..it only goes in one way and has a guide piece on the right side that fits into a slot in the head...push it firmly onto the plug till it seats all the way down....
9. Slide the coil harness connector back on...you are done with this cylinder.
10. Repeat for the other plugs..MAKE sure all the connectors are clipped back on..all the coils look seated at the same height....and then put the metal plate and plastic box deal back on...start car and make sure it runs and you are good....
any questions?
This is a very simple deal and not worth having the stealership charge $180...$8 in plugs...$4 for a spark plug socket...maybe $6 for an allen key set that has a 5mm....and some time....that is it.....i haven't put anti-seize or whatever on my plugs ever...it may be a good idea but i haven't done it..didn't want anything getting into the cylinder...plus some people have put an electrode grease into the coil ends that touch the plug..i also have not done this..up to you....good luck!
Dan
Modified by JettaManDan at 10:42 PM 12-30-2005

Modified by JettaManDan at 8:18 AM 12-31-2005

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Replacing spark plugs (JettaManDan)

Thanks man. Really appreciate it. I will do it one by one and look at it before I do anything. If it seems too hard, I will drop it off at the dealership.
I dont think it should be a problem.
BTW, I have no clue what you are talking about with the 2 sockets, but I will still do it, just to see.

I guess there is always a first time for something, so I will see how I do.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Replacing spark plugs (Volkseddie)

Nobody is going to own the car after me. This baby aint going anywhere.
I bet you were born with the knowledge of changing plugs and working on cars. Didn t have to learn anything, I guess.

·
Registered
12,366 Posts
Re: Replacing spark plugs (StoicDude)

Quote, originally posted by StoicDude »
Thanks man. Really appreciate it. I will do it one by one and look at it before I do anything. If it seems too hard, I will drop it off at the dealership.
I dont think it should be a problem.
BTW, I have no clue what you are talking about with the 2 sockets, but I will still do it, just to see.

I guess there is always a first time for something, so I will see how I do.

when you go to an autoparts store and look at "spark plug sockets" (yes there are SPECIFIC sockets for this..they have a rubber plug retainer inside them usually, they look like a deep socket with cutouts on the top that are for an open end wrench, like a giant nut was welded on top of them, juist do a search online for "spark plug socketts and you will see pics and what i am talking about) there are 2 sizes..i want to say one is like 5/8ths inch and one is like 13/16ths - but i forget...if you ask the moron guy behind the counter say you need the smaller of the 2 normal sizes... a 3/8ths drive 5/8's diameter socket.....
here isa pic of the part of the coilpack you need to release and a pic of the socket you need

doing the plugs is pretty easy...just take your time and don't drop anything dow into the cylinder!

Dan

Modified by JettaManDan at 8:17 AM 12-31-2005

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Thanks again Dan.
I have the 5/8 socket already. I did not know what you meant when you said 2 sockets, thats all.
I know what a spark plug socket is.
Just to make sure, the coil pack gets disconnected and then pulled out? (I will be working on everything carefully)
I see that other people get it "popped" without disconnecting.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
It's easy man... the only slightly challenging part is removing that plastic piece and metal mount plate. And that's not really even challenging. It's like changing 4 light bulbs. Just follow the guide posted above.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts

Nobody is going to own the car after me. This baby aint going anywhere.
I bet you were born with the knowledge of changing plugs and working on cars. Didn t have to learn anything, I guess.

whoa...easy there turbo, I was just making reference to a problem that I had with the previous owner installing the spark plugs wrong, which caused me a 6 hour problem. Lighten up bro,
we're all here to have a good time.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: Replacing spark plugs (Volkseddie)

Sorry to hear about your problem, but I couldn't read your mind and couldn't detect any sarcasam (since computers do not translate it well).
Sounded like an insult to me, thats all.
Like you said, we are all here to have fun.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Havent done it yet dan.
Its been raining for about 3 days straight in NV and I do not have a garage. Plus I got a couple more miles to go.
I picked up a spark plug wrench (the one that has rubber inside the socket) and a gapping tool.
The gapping tool is the wire type, but does not have .031 on it. It has .030, which should be good, because Bentley states maximum .031.
I already had a torque wrench, so that should be ok as well.

·
Registered
12,366 Posts

Havent done it yet dan.
Its been raining for about 3 days straight in NV and I do not have a garage. Plus I got a couple more miles to go.
I picked up a spark plug wrench (the one that has rubber inside the socket) and a gapping tool.
The gapping tool is the wire type, but does not have .031 on it. It has .030, which should be good, because Bentley states maximum .031.
I already had a torque wrench, so that should be ok as well.

i use the silver dollar looking gapping tool...they are like $1 and even though they look cheap they work well and have all the gap's incriments that you would ever need....is your car chipped or modded? if no then i'd go with a .28 gap...if not then .30 is ok...

·
Registered
1,152 Posts

Thanks for the DIY info, and this also answered my suspicion on the proper gap for a car with an ECU upgrade. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.