VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Volkswagen Phaeton V8
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you replace the mirror switch on a 2004 Phaeton V8? I have the part, but I need to remove the other one. Has anyone done this before?

·
Registered
6,977 Posts
Which mirror switch? The one in the shifter plate? If that's the one, take a look at the keyless entry threads. I think Eric posted some links a few days ago on a transmission switch thread. You remove the cupholders and push the trim out from underneath. Read up first, though, you don't want to break the wood.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Which mirror switch? The one in the shifter plate? If that's the one, take a look at the keyless entry threads. I think Eric posted some links a few days ago on a transmission switch thread. You remove the cupholders and push the trim out from underneath. Read up first, though, you don't want to break the wood.
Yes, I am talking about the one in the shifter plate. I tried searching the forums, but I couldn't find anything. Anyone have a link?

·
Registered
8,897 Posts
Before you tear this all apart, what is wrong with the mirror switch?

You need to remove this, then the mirror switch can be gently pried out with a metal nail file or something similar:

To get it out, you remove the wood from the ashtrays and the infotainment. If you take out the cupholders, you can push the trim up, but not far enough to get the mirror switch out. To get the trim all of the way off, you have to take the shift knob off. I wasn't able to get mine off when it was in park. I had to move it until the knob came off. I think it was in Drive, but it was a while ago.

You have to fiddle with the connectors on the bottom of the trim plate. To get at both of the connectors to the seat heater switches as well as the lighter, you pretty much have to have access from both cupholder holes.

On my Phaeton, I had no problem putting the shift knob back on, but my ribbon cable snapped off at the circuit board. It must have been apart before and manhandled. Be careful with the ribbon cable and make sure the plastic cable holder is snapped closed.

The keyless start thread has info on how to take the wood out. Start at post #2:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...ing-Keyless-Start-to-a-North-American-Phaeton

Read this thread also:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?8458073-now-a-Phaeton-owner

Good luck.

-Eric

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the replies. Owning and sprucing up a Phaeton has been an interesting experience, and it's been less than a week!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got the mirror switch replaced. It was not an expensive fix, but very important. I got a car wash and some interior detailing to boot by taking it to the dealer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.