VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car has been stalling on cold starts and won't shift into overdrive consistently (AUTO trans). It will stay in overdrive and then randomly drop into 3rd gear and then like 45 minutes later shift back into over drive, while highway driving. Today I realized that the coolant temp was staying around 160-180 which seems kind of low and the heater wasnt throwing off to much heat. The transmission was rebuilt less than a year ago and it still shifts into overdrive though not all the time, so I don't think its going, at least I hope not. Any ways before spending alot of $ I figured I should replace the coolant temp sensor and the thermostat. Where is the thermostat located? Is it difficult to replace? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

· Registered
889 Posts
Re: Replacing the thermomstat on a glx vr-6 (wetone)

Your car would overheat after 45 minutes if your thermostat was stuck. Mine stuck once, and I didn't make it across town.
When you go to change the thermostat, buy a coolant flange, thermostat housing, crack pipe, new clips for the sensors, and all the O-rings and gaskets to do the job. Reason being that all these things are made of plastic and you will likely break them taking it apart. The crack pipe is prone to failure by itself, so change that for sure while you are in there.
The parts aren't too expensive. I think you can find a package price for this stuff, but I'm not sure where.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.