VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after reading http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=186756 Jetta Red Ambient Flood lights on Rear View Mirror, I really wanted to install this mirror in my GLS (scroll down in that thread to see good pics). As far as I know, nobody has done this mod yet... (Please let me know if you have sucessfully retrofitted the GLX mirror in your GLS!).
Anyway, today I spoke with my dealership and they told me that I would need the mirror (~$85) and the wiring harness that goes under the headliner (they said it runs ~$171!). They wouldn't tell me the Part Numbers
Well, thanks to Impex (vwparts.com), I got the P/Ns and some screen shots from ETKA: http://www.umich.edu/~agarc/vw/mirror-parts.jpg (mirror with parts)
and http://www.umich.edu/~agarc/vw/harness.jpg (wiring harness)
(Thank you Impex!)
So what do you think? Is somebody up for the challenge of doing this? I didn't ask Impex how much the harness would run... But I really want this mod, and want to know how doable this is... (I don't want the RainSensor...that requires a new windshield).
Let me know what ya think. I know this isn't the most important mod, but it would be nice... And to those who were looking for the P/Ns before, you have them now!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Re: Research on Auto-dimming Rearview Mirror w/ambient LED Mod (agarc)

I go tthe mirror with the car. Its nice. You will love it.
Just giving some support

·
Registered
341 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Well, after reading http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=186756 Jetta Red Ambient Flood lights on Rear View Mirror, I really wanted to install this mirror in my GLS (scroll down in that thread to see good pics). As far as I know, nobody has done this mod yet... (Please let me know if you have sucessfully retrofitted the GLX mirror in your GLS!).
Anyway, today I spoke with my dealership and they told me that I would need the mirror (~$85) and the wiring harness that goes under the headliner (they said it runs ~$171!). They wouldn't tell me the Part Numbers
Well, thanks to Impex (vwparts.com), I got the P/Ns and some screen shots from ETKA: http://www.umich.edu/~agarc/vw/mirror-parts.jpg (mirror with parts)
and http://www.umich.edu/~agarc/vw/harness.jpg (wiring harness)
(Thank you Impex!)
So what do you think? Is somebody up for the challenge of doing this? I didn't ask Impex how much the harness would run... But I really want this mod, and want to know how doable this is... (I don't want the RainSensor...that requires a new windshield).
Let me know what ya think. I know this isn't the most important mod, but it would be nice... And to those who were looking for the P/Ns before, you have them now![HR][/HR]​
Yeow - might be cheaper & easier to go totally aftermarket - you could proabably get a digital compass while your'e at it.
Speculation: it seems that the rearview dimmer wouldn't need to 'control' anything - and that the wiring harness would primarily be for the wiper. Perhaps you could get away with just a 12v lead and a ground on the mirror - assuming it needs power. (which Im not even sure of)

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Research on Auto-dimming Rearview Mirror w/ambient LED Mod (SgtFritz)

Wow... What quick responses...

Impex suggested that I might not need the harness... And in a similar thread somebody mentioned that the wiring diagram in Bentley shows that the mirror really only needs power if the RainSensor isn't hooked up...But I personally don't really know how to do this... I'm assuming the wire would have to go through the headliner to the sunroof motor for power...
I specifically want the VW auto dimming mirror because it also has those two small red LEDs that create that cool ambient light... I know you can create your own ambient light in the overhead dome light, but I want the one on the mirror...
Does anybody know exactly how to get power to this mirror?

·
Registered
341 Posts

You could wire off the dome lights - and you could do that without messing with the headliner - you could also run one up from the fusebox and easily hide it in the A-piller and where the windshield meets the headliner.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

What about the airbag in the A-pillar? And, I'm not an electrician... How do I just run the wire off of the fuse box?
Sorry to ask so many questions...

·
Registered
341 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]What about the airbag in the A-pillar? And, I'm not an electrician... How do I just run the wire off of the fuse box?
Sorry to ask so many questions...[HR][/HR]​
The wire runs very close to the glass just under the right side of the A-piller - the airbag won't catch it if it fires off. Wiring into the fuse box is easy pleasy... and you can get a fused "radar detector wiring kit" at any auto parts store for cheap.
One end gets tucked around a fuse prong - just find one that powers off when the car is off. The other would get spliced into your rearview. Also, be sure to ground the other wire against an unpainted bady part (find a screw on a steel bracket- these work great)
Be careful not to pull an airbag fuse, as you will need to have a VAG-COM or take it to the dealer to have your airbag light reset.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Danke...
So has anybody done this already? (my own bump)

·
Registered
3,028 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Well, after reading http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=186756 Jetta Red Ambient Flood lights on Rear View Mirror[HR][/HR]​
Word...That's my original post. The lights are really really nice. If you can do it, I would do it. I think this mod would be worth it. You have no idea how happy I was when I found these on my car. The 2001's didn't have them...glad I waited for a 2002! My Mom's A4 has these near her sunroof switch...ever since we got that car I have wanted these and didn't realize that they were there for a couple days!
You would definitly enjoy this mod. If you think that it's a lot of money then go to the dealer and ask to sit in a GLX at night to see for your self.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: Research on Auto-dimming Rearview Mirror w/ambient LED Mod (DGMVW)

Okay... When the car is in reverse gear, the Mirror changes from auto mode to standard (off, w/out power I presume).... So is there a specific fuse that controls this function? The other little problem with this is that the power doesn't complete go off because the LEDs in the back of the mirror stay on (correct me if I'm wrong)...
I'm thinking about getting the mirror ($85) and the conduit where the wires run between the mirror and the headliner ($10), running the wire between the headliner and the windshield over to the A-Pillar, down that pillar to the fuses...
I have the Bentley Manual, can somebody help me understand the fuse section, or just tell me if there's a fuse that controls the mirror vs. the reverse gear?
TTT!

edit: Is it a fuse that would do this, or a relay? Gosh... I need a good electronics course...

[Modified by agarc, 12:20 AM 4-11-2002]

·
Registered
3,028 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Okay... When the car is in reverse gear, the Mirror changes from auto mode to standard (off, w/out power I presume).... So is there a specific fuse that controls this function? The other little problem with this is that the power doesn't complete go off because the LEDs in the back of the mirror stay on (correct me if I'm wrong)...[HR][/HR]​
I never noticed if it did this or not...My Passenger side mirror tilts down when I put it in reverse so that you can see the curb. That is pretty cool too.

[Modified by DGMVW, 12:18 PM 4-11-2002]

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

You probably didn't notice it because it's such a subtle change... Plus, I never look in my rear view mirror when backing up... I turn my head around to see for myself.
My mom's car has this same feature... I just need to figure out how (relay/fuse
) the mirror knows that the car is in reverse... And if that part is already in my GLS...Which, I would assume it isn't...
I want that mirror!

·
Registered
18 Posts

Does the passenger side mirror tilt only on the GLX? Does it do it on the GLS (I'm in the office so I can't go check right now)?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Re: Research on Auto-dimming Rearview Mirror w/ambient LED Mod (HokieDubber)

quote:[HR][/HR]Does the passenger side mirror tilt only on the GLX? Does it do it on the GLS (I'm in the office so I can't go check right now)?[HR][/HR]​
GLX model only.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: Research on Auto-dimming Rearview Mirror w/ambient LED Mod (nimhrat)

Before I attempt to do this mod, does anybody know if the mirror mount is the same for the GLX mirror and the GLS mirror? If you take of the GLS mirror, would I be able to easily attach the GLX mirror?
And I'm still wondering about the DIY wiring harness...
I know there's an electronics expert out there that can help me... This would be such a cool mod if it were possible to do (and not so expensive)... My stealership could do it for me for $500...

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Okay... I found the wiring diagram for the Mirror/RainSensor in Bentley (page No. 24/1). It looks like a wire goes from the ignition to Fuse 5 in the fuse holder... Then a wire goes from that fuse to the dimming mirror.
The diagram also shows a line going from the mirror to the instrument panel wiring harness, which connects to the Reverse Indicator light (that's how the mirror turns off when the car is put into Reverse). The only other wire coming out of the mirror seems to go to the RainSensor, which I won't have.
Now I just need to know if the mounts for the dimming and non-dimming mirrors are the same. Does anybody know?
Here's the wiring diagram:

and here's the key:
D - Ignition/Starter Switch
(E38 - Windshield wiper intermittent regulator)
F4 - Backup Light Switch
(G213 - Rain-Sensor)
S5 - Fuse 5 in fuse holder
T6 - 6-Pin Connector, near front interior light
T6a - another 6-Pin connector, near front interior light
Y7 - Auto dimming mirror
A20 - Wire connection (15a), in instrument panel wiring harness
A87 - Connector (reverse lamp), in instrument panel wiring harness

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I thought more people were interested in this mod.
Oh well. I'll continue to work at it. And IM me if you figure this out/have done it already.

·
Registered
339 Posts

I'm interested in this mod.... I just don't have any cash at the moment.
I thought before I broke down and spent money on new parts, I would try to crack open my stock mirror and add 2 LEDs. I think locating LEDs on the mirror is ideal because they will be out of direct view (unless you are really short!).
Mongrel
00 GTI GLS 1.8T
01 S54 M Coupe Individual

·
Registered
663 Posts

I have a 2001 GLX and I think i'll give it a shot. It should be really easy for me since I have the harness and all of the same feature as the 2002 except the ambient lighting. That's so awesome. Any luck with you yet?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts