VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a heck of a time getting my brakes and clutch bleed. SOmething that sees percular is the reservoir cap hisses when I step on the brake pedal. I put soap around the collar, and its leaking air where the sensor goes through the top of the cap.
This should be air tight and not leak correct?

· Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Reservoir cap should be air tight right? brake bleedding... (zguy)

This is on a B3 Passat with the two piece cap.
The outer collar, and the inner "post" where the two sensors connect through.

· Banned
12,968 Posts
Re: Reservoir cap should be air tight right? brake bleedding... (zguy)

No they have a breather hole, it is not a sealed system.
If there wasn't a breather the level wouldn't be able to go down as the brakes wear and more importantly fluid wouldn't be able to return to the reservoir as the brakes get hot which will make the brakes bind.

· Registered
10,057 Posts
Re: Reservoir cap should be air tight right? brake bleedding... (Vdubs)

Quote, originally posted by Vdubs »
No they have a breather hole, it is not a sealed system.
If there wasn't a breather the level wouldn't be able to go down as the brakes wear and more importantly fluid wouldn't be able to return to the reservoir as the brakes get hot which will make the brakes bind.

Absolutely correct...all brake systems must vent to the air...which is why the brake fluid sucks up moisture from the air and must be flushed every two years to avoid corrosion in system and brake fade caused by the moisture lowering the boiling point of the fluid! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.