VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
9,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if/when I'll be an official Alfisti, but yeah, this is amazing.

"This 164 is our demo car, presented at last year's Expo Tuning Torino and winner of the show's big trophy, a demonstrator of our expertise covering all areas - bodywork, suspension set up, revised interior and engine, carbon parts and last but not least our own original wheels. Going into specifics, this showcar was built up from a Quadrifoglio Verde we found abandoned in a countryside farmhouse. The specific bodykit was dismantled, restored and then accurately recreated in carbon. The interior was completely redone, making the already sporty seats even more anatomical and covering them in a Ferrari type Alcantara leather. The engine is a Busso in its most Italian specific version - the 2.0 TB (the original engine in the QV was missing) - but a respectable motor nonetheless that we completely restored and also improved where possible. We have installed a custom air suspension kit, the braking system from the Quadrifoglio, new headlights reworked with blacked-out accents and even a carbon scudetto to go with the carbon QV body kit and other body accessories. For the body colour we wanted to stay true to the Alfa style but in a modern key, so we could only go with Rosso Competizione."

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Ascent & 2020 Subaru WRX
2,992 Posts
Good Lord

This rear 3/4 view is gorgeous.

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Funny, I actually think thats the least flattering angle on that car.
I'm not sure why but the rear 3/4 shot is my favorite perspective of most cars.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts

·
Registered
90 VW Corrado, 02 Audi allroad, 96 BMW 318ti, 03 VW GTI 20th, 21 Jeep Gladiator
7,641 Posts
The only change I would do is to put some wheels that actually fit. Other then that it looks great. :cool:

·
Registered
364 Posts
A boring fact,

Growing up in Taiwan, my dad wanted an Alfa badly, but 164 in Mandarin is slang for One Road of Death, so Alfa Romeo badge them to 168 which is One Road of Fortune, my dad tried to convinced my mom that based on that name along it's a good buy, alas, he ended up with a Ford Laser

·
Registered
586 Posts
Please start a thread on here. Please.
I will. There is not a huge amount to tell just yet but I'll start the story for you at least. In 2017 my uncle, an avid Alfisti passed away. He owned 3 cars, this 1991 164, a 1994 Spyder, and a 1973 GTV. I have always loved the 164 and in helping to clear out his estate I sold the GTV and Spyder for my cousin (would have kept the GTV but it was worth far more than I had in disposable cash at the time) and kept the 164. The brakes and suspension were shot, so I rebuilt the whole braking system, and put it on Yellowspeed coil overs, in addition to all new bushings and so on. My plan was to repaint it and upgrade it little by little but with only 84k on the clock I wasn't too concerned about the engine.

Then on the way home from the alignment shop when i was finally done, it blew the head gasket! DOH!! Also I discovered with all this fancy new suspension parts and everything tight, the steering rack was shot. I drove it to my dads house where I let it sit for a couple years while I worked on my Golf race car first swapping in a 16v then an 07K which is what it runs now. I moved houses as well to get a better garage, once I had the 2 post lift installed I sold my "fun car" 2010 Camaro SS and brought the 164 here, and literally last week I dropped the subframe (the pic above).

In removing the engine EVERY single electrical connector I disconnected fell apart. Also the gauges were never very reliable. Alfa in the 90's was not known for quality. So the plan is to regasket the whole motor (it leaks from everywhere), will also check the bearings and so on, if those need to be done then they will be. I'm also installing some cams, will have the heads done, the motor was rated at 200 hp as is (3.0 12v Busso V6), I'm hoping for around 280-300 hp. The transmission is in great shape luckily but I'm going to put in an LSD. For the engine harness since its trash there is actually a guy in Croatia who sells a complete VEMS standalone ECU and harness for this motor, plug and play, it converts the car to SFI, and Coil on plug (using the same coils I use on my 07K) and eliminates the MAF and all the sketchy Italian sensors and electronics. I will be using mostly Bosch and VW sensors, which also makes it much easier to fix/troubleshoot when I'm not searching Italy for that stuff. In car it will have an AIM Strada MXL dash, I'll put in a nice stereo, front/rear cameras, etc. I have new interior pieces, but it will look mostly stock, outside will get a repaint same color combo, and it will ride on 156 GTA wheels which are what the ones from the article are based on. I have the same headlights as the car in the article in my attic.

Its a bit of a long term project, once I get the motor on my engine stand I'm going to move the car out of the way as the race car needs some work to make the first race of the season, but I'm hoping to have it done in about 2 years.

Fun fact btw the Busso V6/transmission combo is all aluminum, its 100 lbs+ lighter than the 07K/02J in my Golf.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Well. That didn't make my want of a 164 go away.
If you're in the US 164 ownership is not for the faint of heart. Parts availability is sketchy at best, theres a few places that keep us fed but its tough, and expensive. Interior and body parts are basically nonexistent, you need to find people who have managed to wreck one with a clean interior, or have it redone. The wiring and electronics were poor when they were new, be prepared to rewire a lot of things. The timing belt needs to be changed every 15k miles or 5 years, no slacking - interference engine! You WILL spend more than its worth just even keeping it stock.

That said when it runs its a thriller. It drives like a dream, theres a reason it was rated higher than its contemporaries in terms of driving performance back in the day. It sounds awesome, it looks cool, its hard not to fall in love with.

·
I’m not a loser. I’m a winnah!!
42,904 Posts
There are two or three of these in town that I’ve seen, of that I’ve only seen one move under its own power. Great looking car though!

·
Registered
35,397 Posts
That's just amazing. I'd own one, but parts availability is bad even by my standards.

·
Registered
2007 B6 Passat VR6 4Motion sedan
2,098 Posts
I'd change one little thing. Wood shift knob to match the wheel. Absolutely perfect otherwise.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts