VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to clean my headlight assemblies on my 2007 Jetta once again. I cleaned them about a month ago with baking soda and toothpaste mixed with water.. they were good till no.. I recently bought new halogen bulbs and now their dim again.. does anyone know what is best to use to clean them and how to prevent it from happening again.

· Registered
VW Jetta MK5
20 Posts
I used rubbing compound first, then I used a high deet insect repellent, it may take a few goes to get them where you want them. I didn't have the right tools for the job.

For about 4 weeks, on a Saturday morning, I did them with the repellent. Then I thought better leaving the repellent to eat at the oxide build up was the best elbow grease. That's why it was over 4 weeks. They've oxidised a wee bit now but that's normal, I live in the northern tropics of Australia, they all do.

I used a bit of rubbing compound at the beginning which worked a treat. I then used a non-scratch scourer and microfiber cloth to clean up in between the scourer. I coated them in the repellent because when it dries it's protection against the oxidation process. It worked wonders for me after a lot of different recommended crap I bought for them.

I will get them sanded back soon I think, just for my piece of mind really (I am getting a full-body re-spray). I will continue with the repellent after they're done though, every 12 months or so to maintain them.

Be sure to spray on the scourer to eliminate it going on your paint work. Highly recommend a power tool do the scrubbing & polishing.

Given my Jet is currently in surgery, he's having a make-over under the hood & full re-spray, polish etc etc, he'll be ****-hot soon. I can't tell you too much about whether the repellent has eaten the paint work. I wasn't super-careful but I did tape around the actual headlight to avoid any repellent on the paint work. I would be super-careful if he wasn't being re-sprayed.

It's been worth it, the repellent worked very well and cleared all of the oxidation and has kept any oxidation building up.

Good luck.

· Registered
11,372 Posts
I'm trying to clean my headlight assemblies on my 2007 Jetta once again. I cleaned them about a month ago with baking soda and toothpaste mixed with water.. they were good till no.. I recently bought new halogen bulbs and now their dim again.. does anyone know what is best to use to clean them and how to prevent it from happening again.
New headlight assemblies or 2k clear

I used to polish ever year or so when a set of headlights started going then it was every six months etc. Finally got smart and did 2k automotive clear with some leftover 2k clear I had and I have not had to touch the headlights for years, still looks the same as the first day they got cleared.

· Registered
2008 VW Rabbit, MT, 3-door
220 Posts
It takes more than the toothbrush...

Get the 3M kit, a a high speed drill, and patience.
Follow exactly the directions, use plenty of water (spray bottle), keep it moist when using sand paper (it keeps the plastic cool and free of debris).
Again, be patient!!
Finally, you may spray them with UV coating.

I did a few headlights in my life and I must tell you one thing.
It takes time and patience (and experience, although some general knowledge and common sense may suffice).

When I got 2008 Rabbit in Dec 2021, the lights were dull and almost yellow. Now, after about 11 months they are still clear as new.

· Registered
13 Posts
I had great luck (so far) with the Ceracote ceramic kit. The cleaner pads worked very well. I actually didn't use their sanding discs or any power tool at all. I used a Novus 3 part polishing system that I already had for making the covers clear and shiny. The coating was very easy to apply and seems to be lasting perfectly. Closing in on 2 years ago and so far so good.
Amazon - Ceracote Ceramic
Novus plastic polish

My wife loves having the 'new' look back.
(y)

· Registered
168 Posts
Over the years,I've tried all the remedies for all my cars and trucks, from toothpaste to 3M kit to coatings and they all eventually failed. Check Amazon or 1A Auto for replacement kits. They aren't that expensive or too hard to do. I miss the good old days of glass lenses.

· Registered
11,372 Posts
Over the years,I've tried all the remedies for all my cars and trucks, from toothpaste to 3M kit to coatings and they all eventually failed. Check Amazon or 1A Auto for replacement kits. They aren't that expensive or too hard to do. I miss the good old days of glass lenses.

Buying new Oe is going to cost you $400 or so for a pair of Halogen and even more for the Hid Bi-Xenon which is not exaclty inexpensive to most people. I would personally try to save Oe HL with 2K than buy the aftermarket.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts