VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Restored 1957 Jag (valvesprung)

Quote, originally posted by valvesprung »
WOW...

That was kinda what i said... I guess no one else thinks so... This thing MUST have sat in a garage for 50 some years... Its a CALI CAR!

· Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Restored 1957 Jag (Spectaculiciousness)

Quote, originally posted by Spectaculiciousness »
"This is a beautifully restored Jaguar"
Says right in the add it's a resto. Sweet car, but I doubt it's been sitting for 50years

I got that... But none the less It would appear that it was straight from that time period.

· Registered
128 Posts
Re: Restored 1957 Jag (Ronus4265)

Nice Car,
But for 140k for a droptop you would think they could wire the caliper bolts correctly and at least take the stickers and yellow writing off the exhaust.
The writing on the E-brake grease fitting could have been removed easily.
Also, nylocs didn't come on these cars, they weren't invented yet.
Bolts are too long in some places.
The wood in the interior is too light in color. It's been redone but should be darker.
Body looks good though, crappy weld on the seam under the car.
BA

Modified by Ezhoracing at 7:36 PM 3-20-2008

· Old man yelling at cloud
8,946 Posts
Re: Restored 1957 Jag (Ezhoracing)

Quote, originally posted by Ezhoracing »
But for 140k for a droptop you would think they could wire the caliper bolts correctly and at least take the stickers and yellow writing off the exhaust.

Just curious; how should the caliper bracket bolts be safety-wired?

· Banned
2,894 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Ezhoracing »
Nice Car,
The writing on the E-brake grease fitting could have been removed easily.
Also, nylocs didn't come on these cars, they weren't invented yet.
Bolts are too long in some places.
The wood in the interior is too light in color. It's been redone but should be darker.
Body looks good though, crappy weld on the seam under the car.
BA

Modified by Ezhoracing at 7:36 PM 3-20-2008

I hope you're kidding. Or just Ignorant. A modern day restoration is an attempt to make the car look like it came off the assembly line, stickers, grease pen signatures, quality checks, etc...

· Banned
32,048 Posts

I worked with a friend who was a Jag master mechanic on a similare resto for a Xk120.....I was not impressed by anything other than the Donlop wheels and brakes...way ahead of their time....but other than that, the car was NEVER meant to be a sports car....more of a grand tourer....nice but not for me...and the engineering was horrible....the later Jags have substantially better engineering in every aspect.
again, pretty but that's it. my $0.02

· Registered
7,998 Posts
Re: (Phunkshon)

Mmmm, beautiful. I guess that is one benefit of the XK140 over the XK120 - the convertible has an easy roof, and wind-up windows
On the 120, you have to sort of assemble the roof, and then the windows are soft, and button-snapped to the assembled roof and doors.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.