VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all. I am a new member and I have recently acquired a 1998 V6 Passat that has been sitting more or less idle for the past 3 years in dry storage. The body and general condition is excellent which is why I have decided resurrect this car as a daily driver. So far I have identified the following issues;

1. Rusted and badly scored rotors and brake pads
2. Heavy Oil leaks from what I believe to originate from the CCT and valve covers seals -
3. Aircon not providing sufficient cooling air

I addressed the problem # 1by installing new rotors and pads and cleaning & painting the calipers all around....(easy peasy). Number two I will replace the seals just as soon as the seal kit I ordered from Blauparts comes in (I don't foresee any difficulties with this one either). Number three I will address at a later date since I believe it's only an issue of low freon level.

The tricky stuff follows and I'm hoping to gather advice and recommendations in addressing these. Using free VCDS software from Ross-Tech, I ran the diagnostics numerous times over the past few weeks and one time I actually managed to get every block in the readiness report except for the EM to Pass. At that point I should have taken for an emission test immediately...but instead accidentally reset the codes....and sure enough next time I ran the diagnostics, the CC block showed Failed.

So I decided that maybe it needed a good hard Italian tune-up. So I filled the tank with 94 Octane fuel, added "Guaranteed to pass" additive and headed out on a 50 mile fast drive keeping the car in 4th gear all the way. I re-ran the diagnostics again and obtained the following readiness report:

1. Exhaust gas recirculation - Passed
2. Secondary Air Injection - Failed or Incomplete
3. Oxygen sensor heating - Passed
4. Evaporative Emissions - Failed or Incomplete
5. Oxygen sensor(s) - Passed
6. Catalyst Heating - Passed
7. Air Conditioning - Passed
8. Catalytic converter(s) - Failed or Incomplete

The EE doesn't worry me too much (or should I) as I believe I can pass with only that present...but not the CC & SA Failed. I should probably mention that during the return part of the last high speed run I believe I started to feel a slight misfire in the engine or a vibration in the driveline. I tried to pin-point whether it is electronic or mechanical (perhaps drive shafts).....but couldn't get to a definitive answer on this. I don't have a registered version of VCDS Light so I can't run any diagnostics on the engine electronics to rule out a bad coil or spark plug.

Here are a few questions I would appreciate answers to from someone familiar with the VCDS Light software.

Will the registered version of VCDS allow the following:

1- identify whether bank1 or bank2 catalytic converters is the one failing?
2- identify which cylinder/coil pack is misfiring?
3- identify if fuel pressure pump is not working to spec?
4- allow control of secondary air components - in order to be able to test each one?
5- identify which component in the evaporative emission system is failed?

I'm hesitant to just hand over $99 if the above cannot be provided by the registered version.

(Oh and yes I asked these same questions to Ross-Tech support via e-mail and got a canned response back from them which basically said that I should register for $99 and I'll get a lot of good things from it....I doubt they read my enquiry thoroughly).

Any constructive advice is welcome.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Hi There,

You mentioned you were leaking oil from the CCT. You should take care of this and the rest of the PCV system as soon as you can. If you need details on all parts involved in this system you can shoot me a PM. Personally I created my own hoses and added a catch can to prolong the life of all PCV components.

1- identify whether bank1 or bank2 catalytic converters is the one failing?
-doubt either is failing. B5 passats left production with a slim AFR threshold. You basically get this code for no reason other than it was programed to fail. you can either replace all the O2 sensors or have the dealer reflash your ECU with the updated AFR threshold. Since our cars are obsolete to the dealer this likely will not happen. I sourced a custom tuner to do the coding for me. Extremely easy and I wont have to deal with this ever again on the car.

2- identify which cylinder/coil pack is misfiring?
-probably easiest to get tested with VCDS or pull the plugs with a friend, turn the car over, and look at the plugs for absence of spark.

3- identify if fuel pressure pump is not working to spec?
-Before jumping to the pricey conclusion that your fuel pump is wack, check the inline fuel pressure by adding a $40 in line fuel pressure gauge. Takes about 20 minutes to do. Fuel pressure just before the fuel rail should be at 50psi and a little higher during cranking if i am not mistaken.

4- allow control of secondary air components - in order to be able to test each one?
-Delete em all. you dont need this stuff. Its only there to throw an engine code which you are likely getting due to either a faulty connection to your secondary air injection pump or one of the hoses is cracked. I have DIYs to delete these pieces. Secondary air components really serve no purpose and can easily be removed or even coded out of your ECU.

5- identify which component in the evaporative emission system is failed?
-Havent had to deal with this one exactly but I assume if you fix the O2 sensor readings this will disappear. If not, I do have a fuel evap valve for sale that may help you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts