VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Re: Retrofit OnStar? (jkehlet)

Why would you want to??? Onstar is the biggest waste of money on my treg ,and crock of you know what!! A good cell phone is all you need.I have onstar and will abandon it as soon as the complimentary 1st year expires, with nary a look back.

·
Registered
51,367 Posts

I have OnStar in my Touareg. I haven't even activated it. I agree with Jack. Waste of money.
Is it possible to retrofit. Probably but my bet is that you won't find a dealer who would know how. And you won't like the cost of doing it.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Re: Retrofit OnStar? (jack oconnor)

While I agree that it is probably a waste of money, depending on where one lives or travels, there are many places that have absolutely no cell service and in an emergency it can surely pay for itself.

·
Registered
51,367 Posts
Re: Retrofit OnStar? (mdjak)

Quote, originally posted by mdjak »
While I agree that it is probably a waste of money, depending on where one lives or travels, there are many places that have absolutely no cell service and in an emergency it can surely pay for itself.

OnStar uses cell towers to comunicate with the mothership. Analog cell service though. Best is to get a non-GSM phone which still has analog fallback. Perhaps Verizon CDMA or Cingular TDMA.

·
Registered
51,367 Posts
Re: Retrofit OnStar? (aircooled)

It has grown on me. At least it is center mounted rather than over the driver's head like on GM SUVs.

·
Registered
263 Posts

I think it was ridiculous that VW supplied the Touareg with the analog version of OnStar rather than the analog/digital version that most GM vehicles are now built with. I'm curious to know what the cost of this 'upgrade' would be, as well. But, I may not want to by the time OnStar phases out the analog service.
IMO, I thought OnStar was a waste, too, but have grown to like the Virutal Advisor to get traffic reports when I'm stuck in traffic (happens a lot in the Boston area!). But for the rest of the service, I agree with other posters.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Re: Retrofit OnStar? (koolio)

And what's really nice in the 04+ GM and other vehicles that have the Digital version of onstar instead of analog is that if you have Verizon wireless service you can add your onstar to your verizon account. Shares the minutes from your verizon package.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts

Quote, originally posted by aircooled »
Spock, how do you like the look of the extra center mounted antenna? Personally, it would drive me crazy.

I think the OnStar antenna is what gives the V10 TDI a lower drag coefficient than the V6 or V8 (std. w/o OnStar, I think).
http://www.vw.com/touareg/specifications_us.htm
I think it does this by reducing the vortices that are created by the truck as it moves, but that's another thread.

·
Registered
146 Posts

On of my friends works for OnStar and she told me some very interesting information about it. For instance, the car needs to see the satellite, like XM radio does. So, if the car is in a parking garage, under a gas station canopy, etc. they can't do anything such as unlock the car, which is a big feature of it. She said she gets a lot of calls with people frustrated about this. I would never get it personally, not just because of that but because its not needed in my opinion. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Registered
2,029 Posts

Quote, originally posted by jkehlet »
Is it possible to retrofit OnStart, and is it worth it?

In principle, anything is possible if one has the knowledge, skill, fabrication resources, and above all... cash. Sure, its even possible to replace the Touareg V8 with a Lamborghini V10 for that matter.
But the realistic answer is no. The Telematics hardware that supports the OnStar service is integrated with the vehicle's electrical, comfort/convenience and communications systems. It is NOT a simple add-on. That means that vehicles with OnStar have a dedicated main wiring harness that supports Telematics integration, and includes the necessary connectivity with the vehicle's CAN-Bus and On Board Diagnostic (OBD) systems. Aside from the integration complexity, the costs of the individual Telematics components and labour to install them would be prohibitive. The main wiring harness by itself is about $2,000.
Is it worth it? Technically, I doubt that a dealer would even consider it. As far as the service itself is concerned.... if you feel strongly about the need, trade yours in for one so equipped.
Cheers,
Juergen

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
Re: Retrofit OnStar? (egreenwald)

I wonder why that is? It only uses the satellites to get its position using its own GPS receiver. Other than that, it uses the GSM system for communication, and to send signals to the car.

·
Registered
51,367 Posts

Quote, originally posted by aircooled »
I wonder why that is? It only uses the satellites to get its position using its own GPS receiver. Other than that, it uses the GSM system for communication, and to send signals to the car.

I am pretty sure that even the latest OnStar digital system doesn't use GSM. That would be a huge mistake for them as GSM coverage is worse that TDMA or CDMA. Pretty sure they use Verizon CDMA.

·
Registered
7,931 Posts
Re: Retrofit OnStar? (spockcat)

Gsm is coverage is rapidly exceeding TDMA and CDMA with ATT's merge with Cingular. As you know GSM is the benchmark for Cell coverage worldwide, but then...you knew that right?

·
Registered
51,367 Posts
Re: Retrofit OnStar? (Leweyb)

Next time you're in Vermont, send me a message with that fancy GSM phone of yours. When my son was up there a month ago he had no service on his GSM phone and I never had any when I was on T-Mobile. Haven't you seen the sign at the MA-VT border; "Welcome to VT. You can turn off your GSM phone now."

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.