VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
21,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In Europe, if you order a Phaeton with cruise control, but without active cruise control, you can get 6 buttons to control the cruise control system. In addition to the 4 buttons that we get in North America (on, off, set, and resume), there are buttons marked 'GRA +' and 'GRA -'. These are gradation buttons, and when you tap one, it increments or decrements the set speed in 10 km/h (6 MPH) steps. I had always thought that it was necessary to have the active cruise control system (automatic distance regulation) to get the gradation buttons, however, I saw a Phaeton at the German owner's GTG this summer that had these buttons, but not ACC. So, I ordered a replacement button set for my Phaeton.
Installation should be quite simple - just remove the existing 4 button set, and install this 6 button set, then change the coding of the steering wheel controller (controller 16) from xxx3x - which indicates a 4 button cruise control set - to xxx1x, which indicates a 6 button cruise control set, but no ADR thumbwheel. By example, for my car, the J453 steering wheel controller is coded to 232, so I will need to change this to 212. I might need to reset the controller after I do this, I'm not sure just yet.
The Phaeton and the Touareg share common steering wheel components, and as far as I know, the coding of the J453 steering wheel controller is the same on both vehicles. So, this retrofit might, perhaps, be implemented on a Touareg as well, though obviously I have not tried it - nor have I ever seen a Touareg with either ACC or gradation buttons. More information about ACC can be found at this thread: Active Cruise Control - Details and Photos.
Below are some photos that illustrate what I am talking about.
Michael
European Phaeton, with a 6 button cruise control set but no ADR thumbwheel.
This is the part I ordered.

What the part looks like

The part number

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Re: Retrofitting a 6 button Cruise Control to the Steering Wheel (PanEuropean)

That's strange. My resume button has a '+' and my set button has a
'-', and they both work to add or subtract 1mph with each push. This is not my imagination. I've done it many times- so why would you want to go to this trouble if yours is the same as mine?

·
Registered
21,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Retrofitting a 6 button Cruise Control to the Steering Wheel (Jack Orr)

Hello Jack:
The control shown in the photos above has 6 buttons on it, rather than the 4 buttons that you and I have on our control. The extra two buttons are the ones labelled 'GRA +' and 'GRA -'. One touch on either of these buttons causes the car to increase or decrease speed in 10 km/h (6.3 MPH) increments, rather than the 2 km/h (1.2 MPH) increments we get if we tap the + or - buttons.
In other words, the driver has the ability to bump speed up or down in larger increments, with a high degree of precision. Two rapid, consecutive taps will give a 12 MPH change either up or down. With the present 4 button system, you have to hold the + or - button down until the speed reaches the new setting you want - which means you have to be observing the speedometer - rather than looking out the window - to determine when to release the button when making a speed change.
Michael

·
Registered
656 Posts
Re: Retrofitting a 6 button Cruise Control to the Steering Wheel (Jack Orr)

I agree with Jack, the NA system is easy to use and the control +/- works well. OTOH, some of us just like to have things different and love to work on a project! For me a start/stop button is much more appealing.
Rob

·
Registered
21,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Retrofitting a 6 button Cruise Control to the Steering Wheel (Gobuster)

We'll have to organize a 'SouthEast USA Start Button installation GTG' this fall at David's place in LA (lower Alabama).
Michael

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Re: Retrofitting a 6 button Cruise Control to the Steering Wheel (dcowan699)

I'll be happy to host that http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Another question. Is it possible to get the wood grain steering wheel ordered to NA and has anyone found out the cost of that? I'm checking on it at my dealership and I'll let you guys know what I find out.

·
Registered
656 Posts

Michael,
Sounds like a great idea for a GTG! I must search out the parts list and start ordering! Really, the keyless entry without the button is just about useless.
Rob

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Re: Retrofitting a 6 button Cruise Control to the Steering Wheel (Gobuster)

Please post the parts list, prices and the ordering source when you get them all.
Maybe I could host a GTG in Scottsdale this winter providing an extra excuse to visit besides getting away from the SNOW, so we can put in some start buttons here also.

Modified by GripperDon at 4:20 PM 8-4-2005

·
Registered
21,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Retrofitting a 6 button Cruise Control to the Steering Wheel (GripperDon)

Quote, originally posted by GripperDon »
Please post the parts list, prices and the ordering source when you get them all...

If you are referring to the start button installation (requires keyless entry to have been installed as a factory option), the complete information for that retrofit is here: Retrofitting Keyless Start to North American Phaetons. The link to the writeup about that retrofit, as well as the writeup about most of the other retrofits we have done, is listed in the Phaeton Forum 'Table of Contents' (FAQ by Category) under the heading "Phaeton Upgrades and Modifications After Delivery - Discussions, Photos and 'How-To's'". This heading can be found at the third post down from the top on the Table of Contents page.
The Table of Contents page is 'pinned' to the top of page 1 of the forum, as a 'sticky' thread.
Michael

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Re: Retrofitting a 6 button Cruise Control to the Steering Wheel (GripperDon)

Quote, originally posted by GripperDon »
Please post the parts list, prices and the ordering source when you get them all.

Modified by GripperDon at 4:20 PM 8-4-2005

Don,
I believe I have all the parts listed in the "southern GTG" thread at the top of the thread list. It is about 6 or 7 posts down on that thread. If anyone sees that I missed something, let me know immediately.

·
Registered
21,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)

I just realized that I forgot to complete the write-up of how to refit this switch. It is an easy modification, but you need to do a bit of re-coding of the car with a diagnostic scan tool when you are finished. If you don't have a diagnostic scan tool, you can just drive the car to your dealer and have them recode (re-enable) the cruise control system for you. The cruise control won't function until it is re-enabled, but other than that, the car will be fully functional.

Turn the steering wheel upside down to gain access to the airbag removal holes

Insert either a special airbag removal tool, or, a flat screwdriver with a wide blade and a short handle.

The following photos show what you are trying to accomplish with the screwdriver when you remove the airbag.

Remove these 4 tiny screws.

Remove these 2 big screws.
Also, remove the flat wire connectors that lead to the button bars on either side.

Lift the stamped aluminum housing off the airbag.

You can now lift the switch out of position, and install the new switch.

This is the part number of the 6 button (no thumbwheel) switch.

Change the coding of the Steering Wheel Electronics Controller (controller 16)
The old coding was 232, the new coding will be 212.

Re-enable the cruise control system using the Coding II function.
Complete details are provided within the label file.

That's it, the job is done.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts

Michael, great post as usual with excellent pictures. One question, does the new switch's Gra + and + buttons actually change the speed 6 mph or 1.2 mph? I thought I read somewhere that they didn't perform as advertised.

·
Registered
21,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: Retrofitting a 6 button Cruise Control to the Steering Wheel (car_guy)

The GRA buttons increment and decrement the speed by 2 km/h (about 1.2 MPH. Long ago, I had the misunderstanding that they incremented the speed by 10 km/h (an increment associated with ADR) - so, that earlier error was incorrect information published by me.
I tried this new 6 button control out on my recent trip to David's GTG. Although it doesn't really provide any functionality that we can't already get from the 4 button control (pressing SET or RES while the cruise control is engaged will also increment or decrement speed), I preferred having the stand-alone buttons for set point control. The VW cruise control systems indicate (on the instrument cluster display) if the cruise control system is enabled, but does not indicate if the system is engaged.
Michael

·
Registered
21,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)

I finally figured out where I got the wrong information I posted above (about the 10 km/h speed increase when the GRA + button is pushed) - it came from the owner manual.
There are two different descriptions of how the GRA buttons function in the North American owner manual (this, despite the fact that no NAR Phaetons are equipped with them). The first description applies to cars that have cruise control but no ADR, and the second description applies to cars that have ADR.
Michael
NAR Phaeton Owner Manual - page 129 (Cars without ADR)

NAR Phaeton Owner Manual - page 135(Cars with ADR)

·
Registered
666 Posts

Lower Alabama in the fall sounds great to me, assuming they have my keyless entry worked out by then (see 30K Service/Prayer Request for progress or lack of it so far!)
Alabama would probably be easier for me than the summer GTG in lower Florida.
I want to add the keyless start and lower the car.
Thanks!

·
Banned
10,632 Posts
Re: Retrofitting a 6 button Cruise Control to the Steering Wheel (rrussell)

Quote, originally posted by rrussell »
How much is the part (6 buttons)?

I just checked with my exporter and should be able to offer this for $149. I will order a few today.
BTW Randy - I have some presents for you. One small item from my local dealer remains to arrive and then it's Christmas in April.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.