VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
41 - 60 of 303 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Michael,
Could you comment on if it would be at all possible to get to the Kessy and wire running up to the switch without removing the seat? Why do I ask? I ordered my parts yesterday and these bolts were the one part that was not in the U.S. So could be months out. Not to mention that whole can't use them twice thing. Not doubting your information, just seems really strange. With any luck the rest of the parts will show up in time to give the Phaeton a Christmas makeover. Assuming I can work around this. If not, I'll just wait.
Along those lines, I got a part number of N-909-650-02 for the seat bolts which I don’t think you have in your original post. Of course, I haven't received them as of yet to make sure that the part number is correct.
Also, I checked on the lock cylinder (not the piece that attaches it to the back side of the trim but the piece that actually switches the air bag if that were an option). It would seem that you were right that this is a generic piece across the VW line. It's 100 USD for the matched to you key version and around 60 USD to get one that comes with two keys. I went with the second option myself as I didn't think I could find a drilled out option very easily. Of course not much of a price difference. But I may be able to receive it sooner.
I still have to find the trim tool that is like a dental pick. Any suggestions on where I might find one of these?

·
Registered
21,490 Posts
Re: (whealy)

Hi William:

No chance at all of getting to the Kessy module without removing the seat. Don't worry about the seat bolts, though - mine are on back order also. I gently cleaned and then re-installed the original bolts and torqued them to the spec. I'm not 100% sure why the bolts need to be replaced - I know there is a special coating on them, but what the real reason is, I don't know. Anyway, I feel comfortable using the car with the original bolts in place until I get the 4 replacements and install them. It's not a big job to re & re the bolts, about an hour's work.

About the lock cylinder - talk to the Phaeton tech at your dealership. When my 'custom ordered, key-matched' lock cylinder arrived, I showed it to the tech and told him I was just installing it 'for show' (meaning, to plug the hole) - he felt awful that I had spent the money on it, and told me he could have given me one from a Golf or Jetta, just made up of parts that they had in the 'spares' bin at the dealership. It would not be a 'drilled out' one at all - it seems the dealerships keep a little bin of spares for these locks, so they can fix mechanically defective cylinders without having to send out for new ones.

Concerning the dental pick, perhaps David (fellow forum member and Phaeton owner) might know how and where to get one - he is a dental surgeon. I just asked my dentist if he had an old one I could have, and he gave me one. What is even better than a dental pick is a VW Trim Removal tool - after the Phaeton technician at my dealership read the post about installing the start button, he gave me a proper trim removal tool as a gift. Here is a picture of what it looks like, I am sure it does not cost more than $5 or so, and you could probably buy it at your dealership.

Michael

VW Trim Removal Tool
(What the VW technicians use, instead of a dental pick)

http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae275/Paneuropean/Sunroof1.jpg

·
Registered
416 Posts
Thanks Michael. I had a feeling that the re-use of the bolts until the real one arrived would be "appropriate". At least that was what I was going to try!
As for the trim stick, yea, I go the one you have pictured. That's a generic trim stick that you can get from several different places. I still want the "dental pick" one as I believe there's at least one tight spot that I need it from your pictures.
I've seen the pick one when I had issue doing my V1 hard wire install. Shortly after I took the trim piece covering the rear view mirror off, the mirror fell. Luckily the harness caught it. I took it to the dealer to find as I could not prevent it from falling. Turns out the torx screw thread piece was put in upside down at assembly. So it could not be adequately tightened. (ps I looked at you post on this subject, but didn't check the piece's orientation in spite of your pic as I assumed from the factory was correct.
Anyway, that's a long way to the helpful tech that popped this open for me while I waited. We looked at it together with the manual. He used a pick tool top open at least one portion. I asked him where he got it and he mentioned it was a snap on tool. (name brand in US for fairly expensive tools) So I'll have to see if I can find one as well.
By the way, the manual was a little lacking in removing the overhead console. So we used your pics! I also showed him this thread. I think he was pretty amazed at the amount of date you have gathered.

Modified by whealy at 10:53 AM 12-19-2004

·
Registered
21,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·

Great to hear you introduced a Phaeton technician to our forum! I am hoping we can attract more service technicians as members, that would give us a much more rounded membership - we could "see things from both sides", if you know what I mean.
Concerning the rear view mirror mounting - not sure what you mean when you said "the torx screw thread piece was put in upside down at assembly". I remember spending a long time studying this piece after I dis-assembled the mirror, simply because I failed to pay attention to how it was oriented when I took it apart. I seem to recall that it was sort of a wedge-shaped piece of white metal that caused a 'V' shaped bracket to expand when the screw was tightened. It is kind of a funny bit of engineering, but I think it is the only way that VW could successfully implement attachment of a fairly heavy interior rear view mirror while at the same time meeting the federal motor vehicle safety standards that require that the mirror "break-away" when only very light force is applied, so as not to cause injury in an accident.
What might have happened - rather than an assembly error being made in Dresden - is that the mirror might have been knocked loose during the shipping or pre-delivery prep process, after the vehicle left Germany, and the person who re-attached it put the parts together backwards. As you pointed out, there is not much documentation available about mirror re-assembly.
I'll go through my photo-file and see if I can put together a better post on how to re-install an interior rear view mirror, once I have faster and more reliable internet access.
Michael

·
Registered
416 Posts
Hum ... I wonder what this would look like an a non-extended wood gray interior ... like mine ...
Of course this would not have been possible without Michael's help along with Spockcat. Thanks you both.

Modified by whealy at 8:01 PM 1-6-2005

·
Registered
21,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·

Hi Bill:
Nice looking work! Congratulations on getting it all installed and up and running.
If you have time, perhaps you could add your thoughts and suggestions to the thread (perhaps a description of any difficulties you encountered, if any) - that will help the next person who does this modification.
By the way, is that Eucalyptus wood?
Michael

·
Registered
416 Posts
Re: (PanEuropean)

Let's see ...
If you use Spockcat's wire harness, you don't need the repair wires.
Use caution when putting the connection ends into the wiring harness. Some of mine had unwired (as in no wire connected) connectors in them that had to be removed before you coudl put the ones in from the wiring harness.
I had a heck of a time putting the gear shift back on. Finally caved into Michael's suggestion of taking it to a tech (minus the doughnuts). But I had to remove it again for my effort. And I need to remove it yet again to complete everything on the underside. So I'll see if I can post a DIY on the gear shifter removal and replacement as my second attempt was successful.
I found the running of the wire under the driver carpet to be the toughest step.
I would suggest that this is a pretty difficult mod certinaly not for the beginner. I made my share of mistakes along the way, but recovered from most of them. Just be prepaird to be patient.
Hope that helps add to an already detailed post on this subject.

BTW to Michael's question:
By the way, is that Eucalyptus wood?
Yes, I beleive it is, but I can't find the name anywhere on my sticker. I beleive that is the base wood and since no wood options are listed, I beilve that you are correct.

Modified by whealy at 5:05 PM 1-7-2005

·
Registered
50,752 Posts

:thumbup::thumbup:
Another Phaeton keyless install. Love to see them.
Glad to give you what VW should have provided in the first place. I noticed in the latest Road & Track magazine that the new Infiniti M45 has keyless start. I guess the Japanese are not afraid of American lawyers.

·
Registered
21,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Re: (spockcat)

Quote, originally posted by spockcat »
I guess the Japanese are not afraid of American lawyers.

That's because they had a good experience with McArthur in '45. On the other hand, VW got a real haircut in the '80s over the Audi 'brake and transmission selector' business - I think that was a traumatic experience for them.

Michael

·
Registered
416 Posts

Quote, originally posted by PanEuropean »

That's because they had a good experience with McArthur in '45. On the other hand, VW got a real haircut in the '80s over the Audi 'brake and transmission selector' business - I think that was a traumatic experience for them.

Michael

Just to kind of continue this part of the discussion ...
I kind of found it strange too. After all the new Vet has this feature as well. Somthing about you have to put it in reverse to lock the column though. I don't think it has the two stage switch like we have. But Michael's thoughts on why VW has done what they have would seem pretty strong.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Another Phaeton keyless install. Love to see them.
Glad to give you what VW should have provided in the first place. I noticed in the latest Road & Track magazine that the new Infiniti M45 has keyless start. I guess the Japanese are not afraid of American lawyers.

Thanks spockcat!

·
Registered
21,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·

Quote, originally posted by Bill »
I had a heck of a time putting the gear shift back on.

Hi Bill:
Don't feel bad about that - no matter what I tried, I found it was impossible for me to put the transmission selector lever handle back on the stick. So, I just took my Phaeton to my dealer every time I needed to have the transmission selector lever re-installed. The techs at the dealership were very nice about this and always re-installed it on a 'while-you-wait' basis, whenever I showed up.
For anyone else planning this modification: Don't try to put the transmission selector lever handle back on yourself, you'll just get frustrated, and run the risk of breaking something. When you are putting the car back together, you can (and should) fit the silver plastic sleeve from the bottom of the transmission selector lever handle back into the hole. The sleeve serves an important purpose, it moves a small sliding plate on the top of the shift lever electronics assembly that contains electro-magnetic sensors indicating the position of the shift lever.
But - when you are re-assembling things, be very careful about how you fit that chromed plastic lower sleeve down into the hole in the transmission control stick dust cover. It needs to fit through a hole in the sliding black plastic plate (what you can see), then through another hole in the electronics assembly on the top of the shift lever area - and you can't easily see the second (lower) hole unless you are paying attention to it. If you don't fit it through both holes gently, you run the risk of breaking the little sliding piece that contains the magnets that the sensors pick up. I have a picture of this part that I want to add to this post, but my 9.6 kbs dial-up from Sudan prevents me from uploading it right now.
Concerning refitting the shift lever selector handle, there are two tricks to doing that - the Phaeton tech at my dealership tried his best to teach me them, but I just couldn't get the knack of it. Trick number one is that you use compressed air to 'blow out' the chrome thumb pushbutton before beginning the re-install. That chrome thumb pushbutton will retract all the way into the selector lever as soon as it is removed, and using compressed air to blow it back out is the easiest way to go.
Trick two is that the technician drills a small hole in the aft face of the selector lever cover - almost exactly where the little plate that says 'V8' or 'W12' will be, once that wood cover is re-installed. After blowing the pushbutton out with compressed air, and after manipulating the small mechanical parts inside the shift lever cover into the correct position for re-installation, he or she then uses a small piece of .040 aviation lockwire to hold the interior mechanical parts in the correct position, prior to inverting the shift lever selector cover, and then sliding it onto the stick.
As I mentioned earlier - the shift lever selector cover mechanicals on the Phaeton are very similar to the design of the shift lever selector cover on other VW products, so save yourself the stress, and have the techs put that part on for you. They've done it many times before on other VW products.
Michael

·
Registered
21,490 Posts

This is the sliding plastic plate that you have to be very aware of (and very careful with) when you are fitting the chromed plastic base of the transmission selector lever handle.

Note that the process goes like this: You seperate the chromed plastic base of the handle from the leather covered handle itself (just bend the two parts). Then you slide the conical chrome plastic base down through the two round holes. Note that there is a 'front and back' orientation to this chromed plastic part - you can see by noting how it will fit into the leather covered handle.

If you drive the car without the chromed plastic base in place, the transmission display in between the speedometer and tachometer will not know what gear you are in, and all the letters from P to S will light up. No harm is caused by this, but it can cause you to worry if you are not expecting it to happen. There is no problem at all driving the car without the leather covered selector lever handle installed.

Michael

This is the part you have to be careful not to break when you are re-installing the shift lever handle.
You cannot buy the little sliding plate by itself if you break it, you have to buy the whole electronics assembly, and that is over $200.

http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae275/Paneuropean/Partthatbreaks.jpg

·
Registered
416 Posts
Michael,
My tech did something a little different. (I read your teck's tricks in the manual and could not necessarly repeat them.) He had me pull the button on the shifter past the normal extension length. When you do this, the button locks in an extended position. Then you can go through the usual steps to remove it. Then you reassemble it for replacement making sure you don't vibrate it too hard to loose the extended button lock. Then you just put it back on, carefully making sure your comments on the plate are taken into consideration. Once it's back in postion, you simply push the button and it's all back to normal.
Like I said, I'll try and do a DIY when I take it off the next time as i think pictures will help this description immensly.

Modified by whealy at 11:47 AM 1-8-2005

·
Registered
21,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·

Quote, originally posted by whealy »
...He had me pull the button on the shifter past the normal extension length. When you do this, the button locks in an extended position...

Fascinating. I didn't know that the button would lock in position if it was pulled out before the shift lever handle was removed. It sounds like that would make it a WHOLE lot easier to re-assemble the thing.
Thanks a lot for sharing that information, Bill.
Michael

·
Registered
50,752 Posts

What a PITA. Glad that on the Touareg you don't have to remove the shift lever!

·
Registered
21,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Re: (spockcat)

Glad that on the Touareg you don't have to remove the shift lever!

Well - it's a truck, that's why. Trucks are supposed to be simple.

·
Registered
63 Posts

I just wanted to report an other success story on retrofitting keyless start to my car. Thanks to Pan European and Spockcat it took me 4 hours to complete the job without any problems. I will just go to my dealer to have the shifter put back in place.
My next task is to try to remove the nav acceptance screen. Has any body being able to do that on the Phaeton?
Again thank you guys for all your help.

·
Registered
21,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Re: (fly4food)

Wow, congratulations on getting it done in that short a period of time. VW ought to make you an honorary Phaeton technician!
Concerning the nav acceptance screen, no good news on that topic yet. I'm not holding out a lot of hope - I think that message is burned into the EPROM of the infotainment unit. Nav Acceptance Screen
Michael

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Re: (fly4food)

Went over this afternoon and tried out Philippe's new toy...I must say this is pretty cool...The bizarre thing is that I ordered all of these parts straight thru
my Parts Dept...No fuss; no muss. Why this is not offered from the Factory as an option, as it is with MBZ, I just do not understand. One would think that if it was such a big deal, it would be difficult to get the component parts...there must be something else going on...Michael????

41 - 60 of 303 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.