VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok its not an initial D anime...but the following graph shows the real potential of what the Rx-8 should be able to do...
AFAIK, the current California castrated Rx-8 can only put down <180whp at the wheels.
With some work from the great Canadian in the great north, with a change of fuel map that will make the Rx-8 passing all but the emission test in California(who cares), you got...

Modified by Kafka at 6:25 PM 1-11-2004

· Registered
13,717 Posts
Re: Return of the RX-8 (Egz)

BFD. Many US states (CT is one, I know there are a few more) have adapted the Cali standards. Now I'm not supporter of the misguided ultra-stringent auto emissions religion coming from Cali, but really...there are other cars making way more power than that which are able to pass Cali emissions. Looks like the Rotory is gonna have a short lifetime...in the USA anyway.

· Registered
2,899 Posts
Re: Return of the RX-8 (FatSean)

Quote, originally posted by FatSean »
BFD. Many US states (CT is one, I know there are a few more) have adapted the Cali standards.

Fuel mapping is easily reversable though. Run one set all year except the day of the inspection....
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
2,851 Posts
Re: Return of the RX-8 (FatSean)

Quote, originally posted by FatSean »
BFD. Many US states (CT is one, I know there are a few more) have adapted the Cali standards. Now I'm not supporter of the misguided ultra-stringent auto emissions religion coming from Cali, but really...there are other cars making way more power than that which are able to pass Cali emissions. Looks like the Rotory is gonna have a short lifetime...in the USA anyway.

do they dyno your car? they do now. we just got tuffer smog laws a few months ago

· Registered
23,208 Posts
Re: Return of the RX-8 (Longboarder)

It is a mustang dyno, but it's not load based, so it's just a free rolling dyno.
Basically you put your car on a set of rollers so you can "drive it" and see emissions output

· Registered
13,717 Posts
Re: Return of the RX-8 (Longboarder)

Quote, originally posted by Longboarder »

do they dyno your car? they do now. we just got tuffer smog laws a few months ago

It's a fiasco getting the new rules implemented...what I understand is that they scan the car computer and if you get no codes you pass automatically. If you fail, you go on the ol' reliable dyno. Actually...it's probably lack of logged codes, and if your car passes the "Readiness Test" that the ECU does itself.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.