VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey whats up, i was wondering if any of you guys know where i could get a tranny for a 95 2.0 golf. I'm looking on ebay right now, and thats going at $255 at the moment. I dont know if thats an average price because i've only had this car for about a month (btw pleasure to drive).
Anyways down to the problem, the tranny makes this really loud clicking noise when i start backing up, my mechanic told my reverse gear is screwed...something to do with the teeth.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Re: Reverse Gear making loud metallic clicking noise... (dude8383)

That is my trans on ebay... the vgong rate is around 3-400 used.. could sell you one if intrested

·
Registered
15,848 Posts
Re: Reverse Gear making loud metallic clicking noise... (FAST VR6 A2)

Quote, originally posted by FAST VR6 A2 »
That is my trans on ebay... the vgong rate is around 3-400 used.. could sell you one if intrested

I looked and found one with
Stock factory low mile transmission(code# AUG). Perfect fit for 1990 to 1992 Golf, Jetta, and Cabriolets. It is also usable for other years and models.

in the body of the ad....from Northern California....is that your ad?
Broke

Modified by Broke at 10:08 PM 5-20-2004

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Re: (dude8383)

It's a very common problem on the 020 trannies, mine was pretty bad before I sold it. The problem is reverse is not synchronized and the car MUST be at a dead stop when shifting into reverse. If it is not the gear is still spinning too fast and it will grind when dropped into reverse. Rebuilds can get pricey, and you never really know what your getting when you buy used. Good luck http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks dude...my mechanic told me that its a common problem with vw's. im thinking about just getting a brand new tranny. Do you think it would be cheaper if i was to do that instead??

·
Registered
2,065 Posts

Your best bet would be to get a few quotes from tranny places for a new reverse gear and labor and all that. When i was looking around, it was around a grand. A lot of places will tell you that they can't give you a good estimate till they crack it open and see exactly what needs to be replaced. I don't know what a new one costs, but I would get some quotes for a rebuild and find out what a new one costs and compare. It may be a better deal to spend a bit more and get a new one.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
a grand??!! i remember seeing an entire tranny for about 250-500...that seems a little far fetched there. but my only problem is that i cant find the freakin website that i saw it on.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts

Quote, originally posted by dude8383 »
a grand??!! i remember seeing an entire tranny for about 250-500...that seems a little far fetched there. but my only problem is that i cant find the freakin website that i saw it on.

Your forgeting I've already been there and done this, go to a tranny shop and see what they quote you to replace the reverse gear and reassemble, it'll be a hell of a lot more than 2-500 bucks. Maybe you can find a used one for that but you'll never get yours fixed at a shop for that price

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
do u know any junk websites...? maybe i can get a decent tranny from there...i really have no idea if there are any junkyards around brookyln

·
Registered
15,848 Posts

Quote, originally posted by dude8383 »
do u know any junk websites...? maybe i can get a decent tranny from there...i really have no idea if there are any junkyards around brookyln

Yellow pages, look under Automotive - Used, Recycled Parts
Rebuilt on the web, cheapest I've seen was over $500, highest was near $1400.
Broke

1 - 12 of 12 Posts