VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well today was my first full day of tampering on my new love affair, my new 87 cabby. Im trying to get her ready for the saftey and emisions tests next week. Now first the reverse lights dont work and nor did the horn, ive checked all the fuses and there all good. I discovered the wires had corroded out of the clips by the dual horn. I did a little splicing and diceing to by pass the factory plastic connector and the horn now works fine. The reverse lights still dont work, ive checked the 2 grounds by the rear light clusters and they 'look' good. The bulbs are fine so with the exeption of the actual switch in the transmission have i checked everything???
i would like to know that i have covered all my bases with the exeption of the transmission switch before i get my hands rediculously dirt... http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif
thanks if any one can shed some 'light'....

·
Registered
483 Posts
i'm buying an 85 cabby tomorrow, and when i test drove it yesterday the reverse lights didn't work...
when/if i figure out what it is, i'll let you know.
i intend on having a lot of fun with this little car.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Re: Reverse Lights dont work............... (Scrulnik)

there's a reverse light sensor dingus
on the tranny, just replace it. it's got
two wires comin off it.... you'll see it.
the dealership has em for like $20 I think?
My reverse lights are out too.
and my horn don't work in the momo wheel
and my turn sigs don't click off.....
and on and on and on.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Re: Reverse Lights dont work............... (moonkey)

Check the reverse light switch, on top of the tranny. You can't miss it, its colored brown. It maybe a ----- to remove, depending on the bolts they used. (American Rabbits made the improvements on the bolts)

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Reverse Lights dont work............... (exboy99)

Quote, originally posted by exboy99 »
there's a reverse light sensor dingus
on the tranny, just replace it. it's got
two wires comin off it.... you'll see it.
the dealership has em for like $20 I think?
My reverse lights are out too.
and my horn don't work in the momo wheel
and my turn sigs don't click off.....
and on and on and on.

interesting that your signals dont cancell, mine dont either and that 'dingus ' on the tranny looks like a 1.5" long plug, with i think 3 pegs in it..... is that what your refering to? i was looking in the bentleys and it seemed the right location but the look of it was......well...... different..

·
Registered
69 Posts

If your car is an automatic the switch is part of the neutral back up switch. I f it is a manual the there is a switch on the trans with two wires. The colors are black/blue and black. Unplug the switch turn the ignition on and short the connector with a paper clip. If the lights come on replace the switch. If they don't come on then check fuse #S15/10amp. If this didn't help then I'll go deeper, but this should be all you need assuming the bulbs and sockets are ok. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
16 Posts

I've never owned a VW that had working reverse lights.
Just don't back up at night!!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts