VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Disclaimer: Those of you who aren't keen on my ECS-related posts (you know who you are), please hit your BACK button on your browser NOW. This thread promotes a product that I was involved in the R&D for, and hence my review. Please contribute to this thread only with positive feedback, where applicable!

CLICK HERE TO SEE DYNO RESULTS!!!
(adjusted to fit better on the screen...)

Vendor : ECS Tuning
Product : Replacement for N75 unit that controls wastegate of turbo
Purpose : This item is a direct bolt-in replacement that allows your car to smoothly operate, while adding a few pounds of boost. The gains measured using Block-120 dynos on my car showed an average of 8-10HP and 8-10 LB-FT of torque -- throughout the lower-and-mid range.
Fit & Finish : Swapping this unit in takes 15-minutes -- and changing between stock and this new one less once you get used to it. Quality is as expected from ECS... perfect!
REVIEW : I'll do my best to answer all your questions here, so if you have something that I don't cover, let me know. Here we go... first of all, I'm not a huge fan of block-120's being 100% accurate/consistent... in other words, the car feels like it gained MORE than just 8-10HP !!!
Most chips run boost at ideal compressor map locations, as to maximize your turbo life and also your heat capacity. This valve serves to offer that extra HP gains, but prolonged use may of course lead to premature turbo failure. Nobody knows for sure... that is why it is intended for race use... the car seemingly runs fine (fuel-wise and whatnot) -- but if you can upgrade to a K04, all the better for this N75.
Boost comes on stronger, but just as soon... throttle response is equal to stock, and surging is non-existant. The car is very linear, but pulls harder and stronger than with the stock N75. On an average, those test vehicles used showed a 3-5psi boost "increase" throughout -- not a spike, but consistent, harder, higher-boost pulls in the low-to-mid RPM range.
Although I haven't yet had a chance to test this unit at the track, I would definitely say you can shave yourself a good 1/10th of a second in the quarter mile. The power is not just momentary, it stays...
I'm sure you all have tons of questions about the unit so please use this thread if you want me to reply ... I'll do my best... ciao!

[Modified by Shaka, 12:40 PM 4-23-2002]

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Re: REVIEW : ECS Tuning's new N75 Wastegate Control Valve... (Shaka)

ok, so it helps with the surging, but MAY reduce turbo life. will it reduce turbo life any more or less than chipping? sorry if this is a stupid question.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts

Great news!!! BTW you might wanna fix the link to ecstuning - it's going to ecstunGing. First Q that comes to mind is - HOW is this different than the stocker N75? Could you post (send me perhaps) the raw data from the block 120? Could you do a block 115 to see how boost reacts to this little gizmo too? Keep up the good work! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: REVIEW : ECS Tuning's new N75 Wastegate Control Valve... (01silverGTI)

quote:[HR][/HR]ok, so it helps with the surging, but MAY reduce turbo life. will it reduce turbo life any more or less than chipping? sorry if this is a stupid question.[HR][/HR]​
First of all, I want to clarify that surging on my car was more or less already gone before the new N75. It would be ideal if someone with REALLY bad surging gets one and lets us all know how it helps (if at all)... that is what I suggest with regrards to a solution for surging... is it one? Not 100% sure...
Secondly, yes, your turbo life chipped will be less than stock, and even more so less with the new N75. That is why drag passes, track racing, whatever you want, is okay... prolonged use of any item on your car more or less means it fails... your stock turbo wont last as long chipped, so if you were okay with that, you should be okay with the N75...
Lastly, the goal of the N75 is to squeeze a bit more power out of the car... like most anything, the more you play, the more you break... I don't suggest the N75 for everyone... just those guys who want to be that smudge quicker, its good... its essentially like adding an extra boost controller to your car, but much more easily...

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Re: REVIEW : ECS Tuning's new N75 Wastegate Control Valve... (01silverGTI)

is this simply a N75 that has had the screw turned ???
or is it something different?
is it a modified OEM N75 valve or is it a newly created valve?

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: REVIEW : ECS Tuning's new N75 Wastegate Control Valve... (Gambit)

quote:[HR][/HR]How is this different than the stocker N75? Could you post (send me perhaps) the raw data from the block 120? Could you do a block 115 to see how boost reacts to this little gizmo too? [HR][/HR]​
I'm not sure how it differs because the housing is differnet -- but I havent taken one apart so I dont know... you can call ECS but I don't know if they even know about how the internals vary.

As for the raw data, e-mail me ([email protected]) and I'll send you the raw data tonight when I get home, where I have the data files... no problem!!
Lastly, I'll try to get in a Block 115 soon... but the darn weather here in Cleveland sucks right now again... 80º last week, and 35º this week.. so... we'll see... but I'll try to get some more "data" this weekend...

·
Registered
13,374 Posts

Hey Shaka, are both those graphs on the same rpm range? It doesn't show the rpms but if they are the same, it looks like you lose a LOT of top end in exchange for some mid range.
Also, do you know what changes were made to the valve to allow it to work better/different? Was it just painted and adjusted properly? I'm curious because this is actually cheaper than what I was quoted at the dealer so it's a viable replacement option for me especially since I'm running the stage 3 turbo.
Tim

·
Registered
1,249 Posts

kewl, so i guess i'll wait until i get chipped and then see if i develop a surging problem, and THEN try out this new n75

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: REVIEW : ECS Tuning's new N75 Wastegate Control Valve... (drm916)

quote:[HR][/HR]is this simply a N75 that has had the screw turned ??? or is it something different? is it a modified OEM N75 valve or is it a newly created valve?[HR][/HR]​
This vavle is a direct replacement but it is NOT OEM from a 1.8T -- but it is Bosch/Audi/VW related. That much I know... when ECS gets them in they aren't touching them, or adjusting them, to my knowledge..
In other words, its not a "modified" unit, nor is it 1.8T OEM... it is a 'newly' created valve for discussion purposes... ciao!

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Price : $89.55 from ECS... in stock at this time...
Origination : I'm not sure where ECS found it, but it works... that's all that matters to me...

Graphs : Actually the RPM ranges do change.. I was having mucho-problems getting the graphs to lay-over each other.. I was really in hopes that I'd get a chance at the OhioVW drag day to do some testing then of both again, and better results... so, if that doesnt get cancelled again, I'll still aim to do that..
On that note, you don't lose the top end -- the graph got cut off funky... so... basically, to summarize, I'll attempt to make a better version soon!!!
Changes to Valve : Once again, I dont know much about the unit itself, as in where it came from, or whatever. I'm not sure how to determine what makes it work, but I know it holds more boost in the low and mid range RPMs.
It is not adjusted, its OEM... from what vehicle or application I dunno....but I can assure you it works without flaw.... interestingly enough, the one I have is "capped" off at the adjustment location -- so you cant fiddle with it... that is just how it is.. ECS said that is how they all looked... interesting, ehh?
Any other questions... ?

·
Registered
4,351 Posts

ECS always comes out with some cool stuff.........where do they find the time?....
Oh well.......maybe I will give this a try soon...maybe it will help my K04 get over 220 wheel HP....

·
Registered
4,755 Posts

Ari, my car has been experiencing a LOT of surging since I've been chipped. Would ECS be interested in sending me a test dummy? I mean, I would be interested in trying it to see if it actually cures surging.
I can install it and relay the info on here. If so, I would be more than happy to share the info and promote the product, if not, I would just send it back to ECS. That simple.

·
Banned
7,500 Posts
Re: REVIEW : ECS Tuning's new N75 Wastegate Control Valve... (flanders)

my post went away so ill say it again.

That is one BIG solenoid.
I presume its used to controle vacuum to the wastegate?

This seems to be another varation on using a beefier part to compensate for a wimpy little part.
When do we get the technical discussion that quickly breaks down into a flame war? Looking forward to the technical part at least.

[Modified by Cypher2k, 12:02 PM 4-23-2002]

·
Registered
3,240 Posts

Ok so basically this thing is just lying to the ECU? How else could boost go beyond requested to give you the extra HP?
Is it adjustable for those of us that dont want/need the extra power but just want smoother operation.
Why does it look just like the Bosh part on an older VW?
Also, it has more peak power, but it looks like it is actually lower in the upper RPM range. Why is that?

[Modified by SlvrBllt, 10:05 AM 4-23-2002]

1 - 20 of 161 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.