VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually dont post much here, but I am lurking around reading threads all the time so I thought I would share my expereince with all you guys. So this weekend I went over to AWE Tuning in Willow Grove, PA and finally got my car chipped. I figured it would be a good idea to get the DV for longevity and the Dog bone mount as well because mine was feeling a little sloppy. First off, I must say that AWE was very professional and got me in and out really quickly. I only had the GIAC X+ chip installed there, however, because the DV and the mount are insanely easy to install yourself as I am sure everyone knows.
First impressions: The chip totally changed the engine's charactreristics and is a blast to drive. The boost comes on really strong and pulls longer and harder than stock, obviously. I also have a full 2.5" Milltek exhaust so I am sure that helped a bit because the difference was night and day. The top end is greatly improved and you dont really have to downshift when cruising at highway speeds in 6th to accelerate quickly. Throttle response is better as well, but not as noticeable as I was expecting. I was pretty apprehensive about surging issues that people have been having with their X+ chips and I am happy to say my chip has exhibited zero surging so far. Seems like the newest software has smoothed everything out as far as I can tell or I am just lucky. I actually think it is smoother than stock. The nice thing about it is that it really drives like stock unless you get on it. So for DD purposes the X+ chip is great. I really couldnt be happier with it.
The car felt great even after driving with stock the DV down to a friend's house in Delaware (which took a couple hours) to install the Bailey DV and engine mount. The install went very smoothly and the VF mount made a huge difference. From readinig posts about the VF, I was kinda worried that it was going to rattle my car apart at idle, but I didnt have any issues with that at all. There is a vibration at idle, but it is very subtle. Its not a jarring vibration at all as some have described. It really just feels like you are more connected to the engine. I did, however, notice the vibration getter stronger and slightly louder when initially accelerating in 1st gear or reverse at very low rpms. But its not something that is annoying at all, it feels solid. The VF makes shifting A LOT more smooth and everything feels more tied together even during braking. I would highly recommend this mount to anyone who wants a tighter feel in their car. definitely worth the money in my opinion.
Finally, my car sounds a little more throaty with a deeper exhaust note at idle and while driving. I don't know if this is due to the GIAC chip or the engine mount, but it is definitely an improvement. Not sure if anyone else has experienced this or I am just making it up in my head, but I definitely notice it. Anyway, I would highly recommend both AWE and all of the mods I installed this weekend. Hope this helps to anyone considering this route. These forums really gave me all the info I needed to make informed decisions about my purchase. So here's a
to everyone here for all the good info.

· Registered
133 Posts
I did the Dogbone too this weekend, I got the bushing kit from ECS.
I replaced all 3 bushings and I gotta say that I'm considering using only the 2 main bushings and putting the stock 3rd bushing. My steering wheel vibrates at idle pretty bad (not as bad with the AC off). Still trying to adapt.
Does the VF have all 3 of them swapped?

· Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: (jestoy7)

Well, the VF is a completely new mount, it doesn't just replace the bushings. But the bushings are made of poly-eurathane as opposed to the stock rubber bushings and are much stiffer than stock. As far as vibration with AC on at idle there is no difference than with it off. But my AC is also not working right now, so maybe once it gets fixed I will notice a difference. From what I have read the VF has more vibration than the ECS, but it is very minimal in my car and doesnt bother me at all.

· Registered
133 Posts
Re: (chuck d)

There will be a change due to that when your AC compressor puts a load on the engine the RPMs at idle will drop a bit and vibrate more.
Glad it worked out for you though, how much boost is your GIAC set at now? I'm still torn between REVO and GIAC.

· Registered
470 Posts
i just had the pendulum mount installed on my car like 3 weeks ago and i will never look back.. one of the best mods you can do to your car to advance the drivability and feel... wheel hop was minimized almost to 100% and the car feels more together after getting that mount... congrats on the new mods man

· Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (jestoy7)

Well, I dont actually know what is wrong with my AC cause it blows air. It just doesnt blow cold air unless the air outside is cold. So I dont know if it is the compressor or what. But hopefully it doesnt make the mount annoying. Unfortunately, I dont know what my boost is set to cause I dont have a guage, but that is next on the list along with a set of PSS9's. It feels plenty strong though, so I am happy for now.

· Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (jaybo1985)

Yeah, I guess I forgot to mention that the wheel hop is virtually gone as well from changing the mount. I dont usually floor it from a stop, but now when I do I get plenty of wheelspin instead of the unbearable hop if I am not careful. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif to VF-Engineering

· Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: (ALEXBAILEY228)

Just by searching on these forums, I have heard that the VF is the stiffest and longest lasting mount. Unfortunately it is more expensive. I paid 180 for mine and I think vortex members can get the EIP for like 89, so there is a big difference in price there. I was almost sold on the EIP, but then did a bit more research on here and it sounds like the EIP mount is very similar to the stock mount in that it uses the same design and and has rubber bushings. The only real difference from what I can tell is that the rubber bushings are thinner than the stock creating a more solid feel. But, I can't say for sure because a lot of people seem to be happy with theirs. Anyway, I say get the VF if you can afford it, its great on my car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.