VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
3,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, I visited Acura of Boston on Soldier's Field Road in Brighton.
Drove there quick then I found myself lurking over brand new Acuras including quite a few RSXs. Ini Mini Mani Mo! OK,
So CL-TYPE S with navigation was my choice for the night and ofcourse I picked the 6-speed manual!
As we were getting off the parking lot, I asked the sales guy "How high can I push this?". "Just don't redline it" He answers with smile.
Did not particularly like the look of CL but I was thinking it was going to be either RSX-S or CL-TYPE S. Well, I wanted to sit in something much more refined(?)
Transmission:
Very precise. I was drooling over the short throw 6-speed the whole time. Transmission felt very smooth. Close ratio 6speed definitly made the car felt substantialy more sports car.
Engine:
Aaaah, Sweet sound of 3.2 V6. Nicely tunned dual exhaust added nice sound as well. Entire time of test driving, engine felt so smooth and the sound of V6 Vtech was something else. I would think my engine is about to explode if I heard that sound from my 1.8t. Felt weird at one point because I am so used to quick pick up of my APRed 1.8t, because the CL Type S was so smooth in acceleration. However, the car reached 60mph quick!
Handling:
DAMN!!! I test drove the CL TYPE S on the Storrow DR, many twisties, and the car handled like no other. I felt little body roll and the cornering was firm. I was wishing to achieve that in my GTi. Not too rough on bumps but firm and precise around corners.
Overall, I think the CL TYPE S is a great buy for the money. Sticker price of $33,280 with navigation was justifiable. With little negotaion I could bring down the walkout price to $32,500
Now I am torn. Torn between G35 Coupe and CL TYPE S. G35 Coupe will be significantly more than CL TYPE S. But I love the design and interior of the G35 coupe. Did I mention G35 coupe will put out around 280hp?
Anyway, It was definitly worth 1 hour of my day driving the CL TYPE S. I give http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

[Modified by soundzero, 9:58 PM 6-5-2002]

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
Re: REVIEW: Just test drove Acura CL Type-S (soundzero)

If money's no object then I'd go with the G35. However, you can't beat the CL's bang for the buck if money is a concern. I agree that the CL's only real downside is the exterior styling. It's nice obviously, but it's not too much more pleasing to the eye than a 2-door Accord. Just my .02

·
Registered
2,403 Posts

IMO, for that kinda coin in a sport coupe, I'd go RWD.
No doubt, get the G35 coupe if it's between those two cars.

·
Registered
5,992 Posts
Re: REVIEW: Just test drove Acura CL Type-S (nub0w)

The Type S is a great car for the money. A much better deal than any equal BMW or Benz.
The G35 is nice but RWD. Great if you live someplace warm or have a Grand Cherokee to drive in the winter, but it won't work for me.
I need to go places in the winter and I won't buy another car or truck just for that.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Re: REVIEW: Just test drove Acura CL Type-S (Rice_Box[Sentra])

I think I heard the CL was going to be discontinued (not exactly sure though). Go with the future, the G35c.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Re: REVIEW: Just test drove Acura CL Type-S (mtb_jeremy)

decent looking but I like the TL Type S better. It is an excellent value for the money. It is nice looking as well. If it only had the six speed from the CL-S. You can get a TL-S for under 30k which is alot of car for the money. FWD doesn't handle as well on a dry road as RWD but in every day real world weather conditions I would still prefer FWD if I only could afford 1 car. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
8,633 Posts

I think if you could afford it, I'd get the Infiniti, more power, better looking IMO. But it's hard to argue with the 'bang for the buck' equation of the TL / CL Acura's.

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
Re: REVIEW: Just test drove Acura CL Type-S (Red Baron Golf)

quote:[HR][/HR]If it only had the six speed from the CL-S[HR][/HR]​
I thought the new TL-typeS has the 6 speed from the CL-S.
Great test drive review! Makes me want to drive one.

·
Registered
18,206 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]DAMN!!! I test drove the CL TYPE S on the Storrow DR, many twisties, and the car handled like no other. I felt little body roll and the cornering was firm. I was wishing to achieve that in my GTi. Not too rough on bumps but firm and precise around corners. [HR][/HR]​
eh? wow.... i drove this car probably 6 or 7 times in the week that i bought my jetta. i thought the handling was the weakest part of the car... felt like driving a couch...
the revs were nice, and the trans was nice... but i wasn't into the suspension at all.

·
Registered
5,992 Posts
Re: REVIEW: Just test drove Acura CL Type-S (DownShift)

>>I thought the new TL-typeS has the 6 speed from the CL-S.
No. At least not yet.
The people here on Vortex said "no way in hell" will it ever happn.
But I recently drove one and the salesman told me that it MIGHT happen.
I gave him my business card and told him to call me immediately if it does.
Surprisingly, this guy seem to actually know what he was talking about so we'll see.

·
Registered
8,406 Posts
Re: REVIEW: Just test drove Acura CL Type-S (HondaGuy)

I know nothing about these cars besides that they suck on an autox course.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Re: REVIEW: Just test drove Acura CL Type-S (HondaGuy)

I almost bought a TL Type-S before the Jetta. For those talking about the suspension, it works very well but its not abrupt at all. Luxary car ride. You barely feel the turns. So if you want to feel the turns and scrape knuckles on corners, buy a miata. Remember folks, its a luxary car first. All in all though, i LOVED that car.

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
Re: REVIEW: Just test drove Acura CL Type-S (Hawkeye92)

the cl is nice, but i really like the g35. it's rwd, which could be a hassle in boston. but the price shouldn't be too much of an issue. i believe a fully loaded one is supposed to go for 35k.

·
Registered
2019 GLI Autobahn 6MT
2,066 Posts

I completely agree with your review.
I drove on last weekend and am considering trading my 1.8T WE for one. I'm on the tall side (6'3"), and believe it or not my Jetta has a good deal more headroom, but otherwise I'm complete sold.
Yes, the exterior is somewhat bland, but who sees the exterior while they're driving?
The passenger compartment and controls are very nicely laid out -- I really like the interior.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts

you might consider used. My friends dad picked up either a 2000 or 2001 for $21k.

·
Registered
2019 GLI Autobahn 6MT
2,066 Posts
Re: REVIEW: Just test drove Acura CL Type-S (RJetta8V)

quote:[HR][/HR]you might consider used. My friends dad picked up either a 2000 or 2001 for $21k.[HR][/HR]​
The 6-speed is brand new in the 2003 model only...

·
Registered
16,243 Posts
Re: REVIEW: Just test drove Acura CL Type-S (Red Baron Golf)

My brother has the TL-S with the tippy.. sweeet car, I've driven it on occasion.

·
Registered
232 Posts

If you're considering the G35, and money is an issue (it always is to me), then what about the Altima? Practically the same car for a whole lot less. I know the Altima doesn't look as good as the G35, but hey, if you're considering the CL you must not care much about styling.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts