3,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
----------------------------------------------------------------------
-=- Tyrol Sport - Brake caliper stiffening kits - R32 Application -=-
----------------------------------
-= Product Description =-
"TyrolSport’s revolutionary new Brake Caliper Stiffening bushings prevent the caliper flex inherent in the stock rubber-bushed design. This flex leads to uneven pad wear and rotor deposits under hard usage. An inexpensive upgrade to the stock that should be part of your next brake job. Track tested and mother approved! An upgrade from black phosphate coated steel rings to 100% stainless steel rings available too."

-= Install =-
Directions from website were clear and provided excellent insight to the entire installation process. Not just the bushing replacement. Installation was an easy task for myself (amature).
- The difficult part was removing the OEM rubber bushings from the caliper. This required a little wd-40 and two screwdrivers to loosen and remove. Just take care when twisting the caliper around to remove the OEM bushings. Don't twist too much or you may damage the brake line !!
- For more information, see our Tech documents HERE (pdf)
- For simple installation instructions, click HERE (pdf)
-= Testing & Summary =-
FINALLY! A brake pedal worthy of a sports car. The change in pedal feel is very noticable in everyday driving. Brake modulation and feedback are double the OEM feel. The replacement bushings allow you to apply precisely the amount of stopping power desired, instead of OEM which allows you to stop, but not to tell you "how much" you will be stopping.
Braking feel as compared to OEM:
- Light braking: less pedal input required for same stopping result
- Heavy braking: feels as though foot is connected to brake pads themselves
It feels like I installed a big brake kit, but for less than $100. This kit provided the exact result I desired. I shopped around for big brake kits and the like, but the car came with a big kit from the factory. It just needs a little tuneup. And these replacement bushings are all the OEM calipers need.
Notes to reader:
I have StopTech stainless steel brake lines installed before this kit. They provided no discernable difference in pedal feel over OEM rubber lines. Therefore their effect should be negligible to the preceeding results.
- Coming soon: Tyrol Bushing Upgrade at the Track...stay tuned
-= Thanks to: =-
Mike at Tyrolsport is great. He answered all my questions promptly, shipped my kit priority mail in only 2 days, and even sent an extra snap-ring in case I broke one.
- Michael at Tyrol Sport
- [email protected]
- (917) 626-3368

·
Registered
707 Posts
I am questioning the use of Stainless Steel for your brake hardward, what "grade" of stainless steel is used for this hardware? The failure of the mounting bolt/guide will be very unpleasant if and whan it happens. I also think the "slop" of the rubber bushings is designed into the system for a good reason, as the build-up of residue brake pad material (you know, the black stuff you are constanly removing from your wheels) could cause a tight fitting assembly to bind unless it is subjected to a regular maintenance interval. I'm the type of guy who is too lazy to remove my brake calipers evey few thousand miles to maintain them, HECK! I'm too lazy to clean my wheels on a weekly basis on my R32. Think long and hard before re-designing the R32 brake hardware, I hope you have a good insurance policy and a "Homestead Claim" on any real estate assets you own before selling these to the general public.

·
Registered
5,518 Posts
Re: REVIEW: Tyrol Sport - Brake Caliper Stiffening Kit for the R32 (osbornsm)

Cool write up. I'd rather get a real deal BBK and save the $100 towards a good set of pads myself. I'm happy with my SS lines and Porterfields. But I'd love to feel your car brakes and see if its all as good as you say. I bet it is.. and if I tested it, I bet I'd buy these stiffeners.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif for a top notch write up!

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Re: REVIEW: Tyrol Sport - Brake Caliper Stiffening Kit for the R32 (osbornsm)

I have herd good things about this product as well.
Thanks for the write up Osbornsm!

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Re: REVIEW: Tyrol Sport - Brake Caliper Stiffening Kit for the R32 (j-dub)

I may have to look into this when it comes time to replace pads........Tyrolsport is a great company to do business with, Mike is very good communicating with customers and their products are top notch (I purchased my GLi SMIC from them and this was my experience) http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Re: (4X4 Golf)

Quote, originally posted by 4X4 Golf »
I am questioning the use of Stainless Steel for your brake hardward, what "grade" of stainless steel is used for this hardware? The failure of the mounting bolt/guide will be very unpleasant if and whan it happens. I also think the "slop" of the rubber bushings is designed into the system for a good reason, as the build-up of residue brake pad material (you know, the black stuff you are constanly removing from your wheels) could cause a tight fitting assembly to bind unless it is subjected to a regular maintenance interval. I'm the type of guy who is too lazy to remove my brake calipers evey few thousand miles to maintain them, HECK! I'm too lazy to clean my wheels on a weekly basis on my R32. Think long and hard before re-designing the R32 brake hardware, I hope you have a good insurance policy and a "Homestead Claim" on any real estate assets you own before selling these to the general public.

If your worried about the guide pins themselves I bet you can buy a new set of OEM ones and use them instead. I'm curious as to what you think will bind? The pin to the brass bushing? The install instructions do state to use antisieze compound liberally on the pins themselves before installing.
I'm not quite sure what you think the stock 'slop' does? Do aftermarket brake upgrades include rubber mounting bushings?
Without any knowledge of the stock R32 brake system, my only worry from this kit would be the stock caliper mount failing due to increased stress from the brass bushings, but that is probably unlikely.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Re: (geremy)

Not wishing to dis the product or the company but has anybody asked VW "why" they use rubber bushings in their calipers??
Perhaps it's to damp out high frequency oscillations between the rotor, pads and caliper that could eventually lead to material fatigue and eventual caliper or rotor failure, or to compensate for sudden thermal expansion of the rotor under heavy braking, allowing the caliper to move slightly.
And as for uneven pad wear on a sliding caliper, thats normal.
Just some thoughts..
Tonymac.

·
Registered
8,820 Posts
Re: (tonymac3)

Hey Guys-
Thanks for the compliments

The use of these brake caliper stiffening bushings is not new. They have been used in many enthusiast circles for years with great success. There are similar versions available for BMWs, Mustangs and other vehicles from other tuning shops. We thought it would be a great idea to bring them to the VW/Audi/Mini community. I have had them on my personal GTI 1.8T for 3 years now, and run 5-7 track events per year, including some of the fastest tracks in the Northeast.
Those of you who have actually done a brake pad swap understand that the factory rubber bushings are there for many reasons, some of which are counterintuitive to performance driving. The rubber bushings reduce the feedback through the brake pedal, and slow brake pad response and contact to the rotor. This leads to ABS intervention when not wanted, and uneven pad wear, amongst other issues.
When we first disassembled the R32 caliper, we were surprised and almost dismayed to find that VW actually stiffened the R32 rubber bushing compared to the standard GTI/Jetta. They used plastic inserts longitudinally to stiffen the bushing in the same way as our upgrade kit. Our initial fear with the prototypes was that it would not give the improvement in pedal feel that it does with the GTI/Jetta. Osbornsm will be able to better speak to that after his track event.
Stainless steel is used on the OEM pins with no ill effects. Brake pad residue binding the pins is not an issue, as the brake caliper is almost constantly sliding on the pin itself. Tolerances are such that caliper dust has a hard time working itself in between the bushing and pin assembly.
These bushings do require maintenance. We suggest some lube whenever you rotate your tires, and definitely when changing brake pads. If you are a non-involved R32 owner, this product might not be for you. It is targeted to those of you who want to enhance the performance of your .:R, and who might actually get out there and AutoX/Track it once in a while. If you're a show car type, the $100 or so odd dollars would be better spent on polished strut caps

A word on pricing; Standard GTI/Jetta kits are $84+shipping. The R32 kit will be more expensive, as it will be a lower volume product that only covers the R32. We are more concerned right now with creating a product that actually improves performance. We have not committed to manufacturing these until we get positive testing feedback. If we do not get good feedback, I can promise you this product will go back on the shelf, alongside with my Rubiks Cube and Atari 2600.

Please let us know if you have any other questions, and we'll be glad to answer them here or through PM/email. Please make sure to redline your .:R on my behalf today. Thank you.

·
Registered
9,954 Posts
Re: (tyrolkid)

So when can we expect to see something on the website for the R? Looks to be a worthwhile mod. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: (BrewDude)

Quote, originally posted by BrewDude »
So when can we expect to see something on the website for the R? Looks to be a worthwhile mod. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

No estimated time quite yet... Mike sent me the prototypes cuz I bothered the crap out of him

He'll get you a better guess when he replies again.

·
Registered
8,820 Posts
Re: (4X4 Golf)

Quote, originally posted by 4X4 Golf »
Please tell us the exact type of Stainless steel you are using for the guide bolts (304? 403? 316?) I wouldn't want stainless steel, 300M steel would be prefered but, maybe I don't know very much about materials.

It actually sounds like you know more about materials than you are claiming. What would you think are the pros and cons of each material listed above given this application?

·
Registered
8,820 Posts
Re: (BrewDude)

Quote, originally posted by BrewDude »

As stated above, we are awaiting a full street and track report. If they don't perform as advertised, we will not be selling them.

1 - 20 of 122 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.