VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,849 Posts

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
My first car was an 84 Accord hatchback, I can't believe he went through all that work on a such a mediocre piece of crap. :facepalm:

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
My first car was an 84 Accord hatchback, I can't believe he went through all that work on a such a mediocre piece of crap. :facepalm:
I think you are going to start seeing more and more of it as the younger kids and/or hipsters start to get into owning a "vintage" car.

My family were huge into the whole NHRA and hot-rods when I was a kid....so I remember being 5 or 6 and going with my mom and dad to the good-guys shows and other hot-rod shows and my dad was considered a young punk with his 32 Ford coupe with rumble seat because the "Adults" were all rolling fixed up model T and model A or basically anything square with long running boards or "gangster" cars as I called them as a kid.

So fast-forward 30 or so years and now when I visit a hot-rod show with my now very retired parents, Dad is now one of the old-timers and long gone are the "gangster" 1920's cars long replaced by cars from the 40's and 50's.....but now even my Dad is grumbling that they are letting 60's and 70's cars into the hot-rod shows and that restored Nova or Chevelle was just a pedestrian POS when my Dad first got into Hotrods....

Soon all the Babyboomers will go quietly into the night and all those $50,000 Chevys and Fords from the 30s, 40s and 50s will be almost worthless as none of the younger generations have any emotional connection to them or desire to own them.

However, I can see a sudden desire for someone to have a late 70's or early 80's Toyota Celica like the one my buddy drove in high-school. At the time it was just a parental hand-me-down and he treated it like free POS and was usually embarassed to be seen in it compared to my much much newer 1986 VW Jetta GLI....but in retrospect, that Celica was awesome and because so many met their rusty fate a decade or more ago, they will demand a very high premium as GenXers begin to wax nostalgic for cars from the Regan era.

It will happen....it is happening now and it is a very normal cycle of Auto nostalgia that I have already personally witnessed this change, twice, over my short life.

Heck, my "hot-rod"/"classic car" is a 1988 VW Fox Wagon converted to pick-up truck with a 1.8 turbo, coilovers etc.....in one more year I can get Historical Plates for it in Ohio. :thumbup:

I give full and total thumbs up to anyone who buys an old forgotten car from my childhood/youth and gives it love....because when was the last time YOU saw a nice 80's car on the road? It is a welcome site for some and I am one of them.

·
Registered
7,338 Posts
Very cool.

I still have a soft spot for the '82 Honda Accord that took me through college in the PNW - to bike races all over the country, and back and forth between NY and Washington. It was beat to hell, but reliable! Nice to see people restoring regular cars like this.

·
Registered
5,849 Posts
Not really a big honda fan per se, but I would like to restore an 86 Accord Liftback like this; with some sort of Vtec motor swap.

The B-block from the Integra fits well. The later "big-block" engines are canted backward, but the Civic and Integra retained the forward tilt of the engines of the pre-1990 Accord/pre-1988 Prelude chassis.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
I think you are going to start seeing more and more of it as the younger kids and/or hipsters start to get into owning a "vintage" car.

My family were huge into the whole NHRA and hot-rods when I was a kid....so I remember being 5 or 6 and going with my mom and dad to the good-guys shows and other hot-rod shows and my dad was considered a young punk with his 32 Ford coupe with rumble seat because the "Adults" were all rolling fixed up model T and model A or basically anything square with long running boards or "gangster" cars as I called them as a kid.

So fast-forward 30 or so years and now when I visit a hot-rod show with my now very retired parents, Dad is now one of the old-timers and long gone are the "gangster" 1920's cars long replaced by cars from the 40's and 50's.....but now even my Dad is grumbling that they are letting 60's and 70's cars into the hot-rod shows and that restored Nova or Chevelle was just a pedestrian POS when my Dad first got into Hotrods....

Soon all the Babyboomers will go quietly into the night and all those $50,000 Chevys and Fords from the 30s, 40s and 50s will be almost worthless as none of the younger generations have any emotional connection to them or desire to own them.

However, I can see a sudden desire for someone to have a late 70's or early 80's Toyota Celica like the one my buddy drove in high-school. At the time it was just a parental hand-me-down and he treated it like free POS and was usually embarassed to be seen in it compared to my much much newer 1986 VW Jetta GLI....but in retrospect, that Celica was awesome and because so many met their rusty fate a decade or more ago, they will demand a very high premium as GenXers begin to wax nostalgic for cars from the Regan era.

It will happen....it is happening now and it is a very normal cycle of Auto nostalgia that I have already personally witnessed this change, twice, over my short life.

Heck, my "hot-rod"/"classic car" is a 1988 VW Fox Wagon converted to pick-up truck with a 1.8 turbo, coilovers etc.....in one more year I can get Historical Plates for it in Ohio. :thumbup:

I give full and total thumbs up to anyone who buys an old forgotten car from my childhood/youth and gives it love....because when was the last time YOU saw a nice 80's car on the road? It is a welcome site for some and I am one of them.

anybody who doesn't appreciate an obscure restoration like this one needs to GTFO of TCL and never log in again
I can and do appreciate unique restores, but seriously in 10 years from now if someone restores a 90's Hyundai Accent, you're going to tell me its boss? Honda's from the late 70's early 80's were basically just as bad as the 90's Hyundai's, maybe worse.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.