VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the Revo tune installed about a week and a half ago. I was so excited to find a dealer in the area and only 12 miles from me too! So I headed down there to check it out. Unfortunately the R32 doesn't have a trial period it's all or nothing so I had to pay them upfront, but the guy offered to let me run it for a few days and see how I liked it.
My initial impression of the tune was really nothing earth shattering. I couldn't really tell right after the flash. In some areas there was some minor improvements and it helped throttle response somewhat and interstate passing, but again you really had to try and pay attention to see where the difference was.
After some time and cooler weather it got better. Throttle response improved and it seemed a bit peppier up top, I even ran some tests in Dynolicious to see what time it would turn. Ended up with a 14.4 @ 96mph 1/4 mile and and average 0-60 around 6.1 seconds.
Well one thing that didn't get better was gas mileage, Just atrocious. It drug my car down in the 230 mile range per tank. I went thru about $100 worth of gas in about a week. So after reading a post about a stock R32 running a 14.5 with no tune I thought to myself for $400 this just isn't worth it, a whole .1 quicker and really lousy gas mileage. So I went back and they put the stock programming back in and refunded my money.
After stock programming Dynolicious run: 14.5 @ 95mph and an avg 6.2 0-60, negligable difference from stock to tune, especially for the money. Yes the throttle response was a little better but marginally so, again not worth the coin for so little an improvement.
**Caveat**
Now what I noticed with there software is he can set the fuel and timing trims and just picked a base setting not really knowing what that combo will do for my particular car (they all run a touch different). They have a range on Fuel and range on timing from about 1 (stock) to about 9 (race gas) to play with. I think he picked 5 fuel and 7 for timing, problem is without a dyno to properly tune it and verify with A/F you don't know how that combo is working out. Some cars run better on more timing and some on less it just depends, same with fuel. I remember tuning my Cobra and for some reason my car responded to timing better then my buddies identically modded 03, I could run 5+ degrees more timing then he could and make power without knock.
Honestly, if we could have dyno tested the car and played with the settings to get the optimum out of it I might get a decent gain, but for a generic "here it is" and guessing at the baselines, it wasn't worth it to me, not to mention he didn't know enough to tinker with it. Purely a load it and forget it for them. For $400 that just wasn't acceptable. I've used $250 flash tuners with more capability and I can adjust what ever I want when ever I want.
So I dropped into the high teen's in MPG with the Revo. Now that it's back to stock I see 30+mpg just cruising around at 50mph where with the Revo it would have been 20-22mpg. Huge difference. On the interstate I'm back in the 26mpg range at 70mph where before it was 19-20mpg with the tune. I'm guessing the car was running way to fat, probably could have leaned it out a bunch and left the timing aggressive and made some good power but no way to tell without a Dyno and someone who knows what there doing.
What's everyone with the GAIC chip think of there's? I want to tune the car as it's going to get an intake and exhaust soon but I want to be able to play with the trims to get it just right, can you do that with the GAIC or is it just 1 tune fits all (which really isn't the best way to go, each car is a little different). I used to use my flash tuners on the Mustangs and I could incrementally adjust the fuel and timing +/- as well as tire size, gear selection, etc all from the handheld. Anything like that for the R32?
The main tuners I'm aware of are Unitronic (?), APR, GAIC and Revo. Anyone actually dyno there car after a tune and what did you get?

Modified by PhantomX2K at 9:48 PM 9-12-2008

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I was seriously considering a Revo tune, but I don't think I'm going to bother - especially with reviews like this. I know I'll be sorely disappointed, especially after owning a Stage 2 GTI. That was a night and day difference!

·
Registered
8,024 Posts
Re: (vDubr)

We're talking an NA engine, seriously, why on earth do people chip Rs, I just dont get it. 2.0T? sure. a measurable 25% hp and 50% ft lb torque gain, that's significant and very very noticeable, but 10 or 15hp for $400? It just seems pointless really.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Re: (VWNDAHS)

Quote, originally posted by VWNDAHS »
We're talking an NA engine, seriously, why on earth do people chip Rs, I just dont get it. 2.0T? sure. a measurable 25% hp and 50% ft lb torque gain, that's significant and very very noticeable, but 10 or 15hp for $400? It just seems pointless really.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (KRUNK FU GLI)

Actually it's surprisingly accurate. They even tested it against the G-Tech and it was far superior. Those garage guys did a test of it at the track and it was within .04 of the actual printed time slip.
Either way I'm looking for consistency, I wouldn't have cared if it said 18.4 seconds, as long as it said that everytime and was consistent. So far with what stock and chipped R's are running those numbers are pretty exact. There was a guy that took his bone stock R to gainsville last week and ran the exact same time. Consistent, that's all I can ask for...

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Re: (PhantomX2K)

I got unitronic chip, stage 1+ or whatever it was, it runs great, i notice it a lot, over stock. gas mileage is high teens when "getting on it all the time" to 24+ when driving in D.
not sure what revo did to your R tho...

·
Registered
11,104 Posts
Re: (maximluva)

No one will argue that you're going to feel a night and day difference in performance when tuning a NA motor. I know I certainly didn't pay $300
for my REVO for 10HP. I bought it, and like it for its improved drivability. Beyond the ability to tune timing and fuel with REVO you can also adjust throttle response, which does make a noticable difference. I already had an SPS+ from my GTI & A4 which has allowed be to tune my R a bit and adjust TR exactly where I like it. Also, I've found that there is a noticable difference in high rpm power. Granted I seldom take my R over 5k rpms, but when there it is better.
I also noticed my fuel mileage dropping quite a bit at first after chipping. But it improved as the ECU adapted over roughly 500 miles, and improved more with some Vag Com & SPS+ tuning. I have a rack on my car, so highway mileage is always bad, but last week I got 23mpg doing 70-75mph with a rack. Not bad IMO for an R that hasn't even had its first oil change.
GIAC & Uni offer 1 size fits all tunes, so if you didn't like REVO it seems they won't be a good fit for you either. APR doesn't make software for our cars.
Power gain or no, faster or not, my car is more enjoyable to drive every day because of REVO. That's good enough for me.

·
Registered
7,591 Posts
My first thought when you mentioned decreased MPG was two things:
1) You were driving harder because you wanted to test the performance difference
2) The tune needs time to adjust. I would expect things to level out after 500-1000 miles.
That being said, the gains from a chip are so minimal on our cars, I have no interest in doing it to mine.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have the Giac and evoms intake and can honestly say that i love it! the giac really makes daily driving more fun....
the gas miellege feels like it improved, and the freeway driving opens up, as well as low end~ the car feels 10 times more responsive
the guy who installed it said that the stock system throttle doesnt open 100% every time you mash it... but with the giac its much more consistent. im content with myn. Also with Giac you can get an extra controller to switch between stock, 91 octane, and 100 octane mode

·
Registered
579 Posts
Re: (KRUNK FU GLI)

Quote, originally posted by KRUNK FU GLI »
i wouldn't really trust an iphone app to trust your 1/4 mile time.

Even if it's wrong, he used the same tool to test before and after so the resulting delta between chipped and stock would be accurate enough to make a decision. As stated already though, the app is pretty accurate.
Quote, originally posted by VWNDAHS »

x3. The ROI is just not there for NA cars as it is forced-induction cars. Put your money to something where you'll actually notice a difference.

Modified by VAG GUY at 12:54 PM 9-13-2008

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
The guy who did your tune does not know what he is doing. The lower the number for Fuel, the more requested fuel you will have. 8 is the perfect number.
Timing is also too high, 6 is the highest you should go on 93 oct. 4 or 5 if you only have 91 oct.
I like the throttle at 8, but that is personal preference.
With your timing at 7 the car is pulling most of the timing you have added and adding more fuel to prevent a problem. But with your fuel at 5 you are already pig rich. I can see why you would be unhappy with the chip with those tuning vaules.
So much for people knowing about the product they sell... Right now with settings at 8 - 6 - 8 im getting 24 - 25 mpg at 75 mph and the car pulls great up top. No complaints on my end.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Re: Revo Tune write up, was it worth $400? (PhantomX2K)

The experience you have had with your remap is due to an inept install, not Revo. He guessed at the numbers (shocking) and didn't use a dyno... This review is null and void imo.

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
Re: Revo Tune write up, was it worth $400? (davefish)

Quote, originally posted by davefish »
The experience you have had with your remap is due to an inept install, not Revo. He guessed at the numbers (shocking) and didn't use a dyno... This review is null and void imo.

Agreed, especially since Tucci seems to know what the correct values should be on an R32... his (OP) settings look awful. Would love to hear about the difference once he gets his flash corrected however.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Re: (vDubr)

Quote, originally posted by vDubr »
I was seriously considering a Revo tune, but I don't think I'm going to bother - especially with reviews like this. I know I'll be sorely disappointed, especially after owning a Stage 2 GTI. That was a night and day difference!

I went from a BIG turbo 360 whp Srt4 to the R32. YES i am giving up ridiculous insane straigt line power... but now I get all around performance with the R. Plus i wanted something that has better interior, AWD, and better quality...
the chip gives me that instant torque that is fun...

·
Registered
366 Posts
Re: Revo Tune write up, was it worth $400? (PhantomX2K)

I have my R32 35000mile on it.
Let me tell you something. I drive from Michigan to Tennessee Nashville 500mile, or to New York 700mile ect...
Like about 85 cruising, and I get 23MPG with REVO. I get worse mileage below 85 and above, but average 20MPG. Best thing I thought it was worth was "Throttle response" and "torque" from 2500rpm.
One day I had chance to drive my buddy's R32 that was completely stock, and I drove
oh my god that was bad. I got used to drive with Revo for 20000miles already, then I go back to stock. Oh man that was sad feeling.
I'm sure other software is also good, I have never tried so I don't know, but chipping is really sensual. like touching your heart type of business I guess.

Modified by ayagasa at 5:50 PM 9-13-2008

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.