VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there anyway besides endlessly cleaning my wheels that i can keep them from getting caked up with brake dust? would getting aftermarket brakes help reduce this any chance? or is there any product i can put on my wheels that helps resist brake dust adhesion? it seems like i will polish my wheels up and 2 days later they are dirty again.

·
Vendor
11,790 Posts
is there anyway besides endlessly cleaning my wheels that i can keep them from getting caked up with brake dust? would getting aftermarket brakes help reduce this any chance? or is there any product i can put on my wheels that helps resist brake dust adhesion? it seems like i will polish my wheels up and 2 days later they are dirty again.
Using some sort of wheel wax will help make cleaning easier but the only way to have a less dusting brake would be to swap out the pads.

So you are getting unusually more amounts of brake dust on the rears than you are the fronts?

·
Registered
445 Posts
Same thing happens to me, I just clean it more, but it is really annoying to just keep cleaning over and over again specially now that I got matte black wheels. Hope you find a solution, thanks for posting this.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Mine does the same thing which is confusing because the rear pads are smaller than the fronts, and most of the stopping power is up front - so you'd think the rears wouldn't generate as much dust. The fronts are hardly an issue.

:confused:

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
get ceramic pads.
hawks are really good.
this will alleviate the problem? is it just a different type of material from the OEM pads?

Using some sort of wheel wax will help make cleaning easier but the only way to have a less dusting brake would be to swap out the pads.

So you are getting unusually more amounts of brake dust on the rears than you are the fronts?
its only on the rear wheels. the front wheels stay clean for weeks

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have the same problem. I used Insulator Wax on my wheels and they are much easier to keep clean but I find the brake dust builds up a little bit quicker. It does make them easier to clean though so that is a bonus.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i looked at ceramic pads (Hawks) and right in the description it mentions they specifically reduce dust buildup

·
Registered
8,445 Posts
Pick up a bottle of NuFinish at autozone or walmart. Its an orange bottle. They call it the once a year car wax and it builds up a really hard shell. While it doesnt shine as nice as other waxes on the paint, it doesnt impact the shine on the wheels as their finish isnt as smooth/perfect as the panels.

Before I mount wheels in the spring I clean them with dawn, claybay, and then put on 3 coats of Nu both inside and out, back and front. After that a hose gets most of the dust off and any little cracks and crevice will come clean with a wipe.

No elbow grease needed all summer. :) Best of all the bottle is like $4 and will last for years only doing wheels.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Mine does the same thing which is confusing because the rear pads are smaller than the fronts, and most of the stopping power is up front - so you'd think the rears wouldn't generate as much dust. The fronts are hardly an issue.

:confused:
For light to moderate braking there is a rear brake bias. This helps keep nose dive to a minimum keeping the suspension level and creates a more composed ride/handling. For heavy and emergency braking the fronts do most of the work as the rears would just lock up in these situations.

Also, alot of people complained about brake noise in earlier MK5 models, so VW used softer pad material (less noise, more dust) for the rears. Since most braking is of the light/moderate variety, combined with the softer pad you get a lot more dust on the rear wheels and the rear brakes need to be replaced first.

If you want less dust go with the Hawk Ceramic pads and try some wheel wax to make them easier to clean.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts