VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 GSW with factory 17" rims and tires. I'm looking for another set but in 19" size.

What is the bolt pattern and offset I should be requiring? 5 x 112 mm seems common on these cars from for sale posts I read but have no idea. And what about offset?

There's a set I'm interested in but off an audi with a 26 mm offset. So trying to understand if they'd fit. They are a few hours away from me so need to be sure before going there...

·
Registered
781 Posts
5x112 bolt pattern.
You can check your offset on whatever stock wheels you have but really none are anywhere close to et26. IMO 19's poking out that far really wouldn't look great, especially if it's stock suspension.

Use somewhere like willtheyfit.com if you need a visual comparison to what you have currently.

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
I have a 2018 GSW with factory 17" rims and tires. I'm looking for another set but in 19" size.

What is the bolt pattern and offset I should be requiring? 5 x 112 mm seems common on these cars from for sale posts I read but have no idea. And what about offset?

There's a set I'm interested in but off an audi with a 26 mm offset. So trying to understand if they'd fit. They are a few hours away from me so need to be sure before going there...
+1 on willtheyfit.com for offset
but note its a visual representation not a guarantee.

Only way to be sure is put them on,
Or
Like you are doing- post here and other places and wait for a reply (if you havent already searched past threads for same).
Lots of good aftermarket wheels out there too.
Try TireRack and DiscountTire, and one of the sponsors of this forum; chris at 15 fitytwo?
(Boy they got some nice wheels- esp RSEs..)

Find someone knowledgeable there who will be able to say what works in 19 on their aftermarkets on your GSW
and then use the offset number on those wheels to estimate if what you want will work.

good luck!

·
Registered
2018 Sportwagen Comfortline DAP, LP 4Motion 6MT
981 Posts
I have ran 18s and 19s on a few cars over the years.

Honestly, 17s have just enough sidewall to run nice and smooth. Suspension components last longer as well.

Not to mention most 18s and 19s are heavier than 17s (with respective rubbers)

Just my $0.02, you do you.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Thanks, but so I don't have to take one off to check, would anyone actually know the offset?
The internet will tell you. Just search for OEM wheel options for your year/trim and it should be easy to find your actual wheels and get specs.
Don’t assume you have the same offset as another 17” wheel just because they are both 17s.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
remember just as much as offset is important, so is wheel width.

ET26 on an 8" wheel isn't the same as ET26 on a 7.5" wheel.

Reactions: CanuckBird

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
I appreciate your responses, but for me, it just illustrates how confusing this whole tire/rim size issue can be to a laymen like me...
It is a bit arcane, and confusing if new to it.
.Like you I had to Just find a couple places that explain the way tires and wheels are measured, and drill down, keep notes until it sticks.
You'll get it.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Ive tried that, so friggen confusing its not funny...
It really shouldn't be. Unless I'm mistaken there shouldn't be more than one 17" wheel option for each model year so there really shouldn't be anything to figure out.
I appreciate your responses, but for me, it just illustrates how confusing this whole tire/rim size issue can be to a laymen like me...
Have you looked at WillTheyFit yet? It will literally illustrate exactly how changes to offset/width/etc will change the position of a wheel.

·
Registered
2018 VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6 spd Midnight Blue
424 Posts

You have to consider tire size at the same time as diameter and offset. Go to www.tiresize.com. Click on wheel offset calculator. For wheel 1 enter your current wheels and tires. For wheel 2 enter the wheels and tires you want to check. It will then give you a drawing with measurements of where the new wheel and tire will be in relation to the original tire and wheel.

If any measurement difference inside or outside is more than 1" they won't fit. At .75" it's a maybe on the outside. Inside or outside at .5" is fine in my experience.

For example here are screenshots of my original and current summer wheels and tires.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 47 Posts