VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Rim size question

2K views 49 replies 15 participants last post by  goodvibes 
#1 ·
I have a 2018 GSW with factory 17" rims and tires. I'm looking for another set but in 19" size.

What is the bolt pattern and offset I should be requiring? 5 x 112 mm seems common on these cars from for sale posts I read but have no idea. And what about offset?

There's a set I'm interested in but off an audi with a 26 mm offset. So trying to understand if they'd fit. They are a few hours away from me so need to be sure before going there...

#2 ·
5x112 bolt pattern.
You can check your offset on whatever stock wheels you have but really none are anywhere close to et26. IMO 19's poking out that far really wouldn't look great, especially if it's stock suspension.

Use somewhere like willtheyfit.com if you need a visual comparison to what you have currently.

#20 ·
You have to consider tire size at the same time as diameter and offset. Go to www.tiresize.com. Click on wheel offset calculator. For wheel 1 enter your current wheels and tires. For wheel 2 enter the wheels and tires you want to check. It will then give you a drawing with measurements of where the new wheel and tire will be in relation to the original tire and wheel.

If any measurement difference inside or outside is more than 1" they won't fit. At .75" it's a maybe on the outside. Inside or outside at .5" is fine in my experience.

For example here are screenshots of my original and current summer wheels and tires.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

#22 ·
I have a 2018 GSW with factory 17" rims and tires. I'm looking for another set but in 19" size.

What is the bolt pattern and offset I should be requiring? 5 x 112 mm seems common on these cars from for sale posts I read but have no idea. And what about offset?

There's a set I'm interested in but off an audi with a 26 mm offset. So trying to understand if they'd fit. They are a few hours away from me so need to be sure before going there...
Buying a wheel diameter greater than 17" for the Golf Sportwagen is a mistake for many reasons. Don't do it!

#24 · (Edited)
@raggdoll After a bit of research into your profile, I remembered you posted a photo of your wagon on a post of mine. Looks like you have 17" Tronic wheels. They are 6J x 17 ET48, with a 205/50R17 tire.

The Audi rims I'm assuming are a 8J x 19 ET26, or 7.5J x 19 ET26, if any of the googling I've done is correct. which should be a 225/35R19 tire

According to willtheyfit, the 8J rim will be 3.4 mm closer to the suspension strut, which should be negligible and protrude 47.4mm out, right around 1 and 13/16 inches (1 3/4") for lazy maths and if they are more similar to VW rims that are 7.5J, it'll drop down to 1 5/8" give or take a smidge

My wagon has 16" Corvaras stock, 6.5J x 16 ET42, bought 18" Pretorias - 7.5J x 18 ET51 this past wednesday, they come in on tuesday. I talked at length with the service guys at VW about the offset for the pretorias, and they assure me that I won't have any rubbing issues either as it is an available option for the car, as with the larger offset, the wheels will be 21mm closer to the strut.

#30 ·
I also use 17s for my winters and it is a great ride but my summer tires on 18s makes the car handle better in my anecdotal experience, most of that due to tire difference perhaps. I am cautious though to pass my experience off as fact. The golf R which is a remarkably similar platform comes with 19s factory which is a fact I find hard to ignore. I believe that the performance difference would be very minimal between these, tires being the same, and ride comfort and appearance I would consider subjective factors.

#39 ·
It's totally opinion based, other than the solid fact a larger wheel and smaller tire has a higher chance of a blow out (run a few PSI lower cause you've forgot to check, and bamm). Many people take that risk and love it.

I dreaded the wife's passat with 18" but so far she's only curbed the wheels, no blow outs, granted the sidewalls are a little more than the standard golfs.

Reactions: CanuckBird
#41 ·
Larger rim is more unsprung weight. Hitting bumps and depressions will put more inertia force on your suspension components. If the suspension wasn't designed with the extra weight in mind, then it can cause a harsher ride and/or premature wear and tear.

If you live in pothole filled Montreal, Quebec, get the rim that uses the tire with the most sidewall. My old car took a beating even with 80 aspect ratio tires. The larger rims can be a pain in the back if you have to lug them up from your condo basement for the seasonal change over due to Quebec's winter tire law. Parallel parking can be a risk for curb rash if you're not careful.

On the other hand, they do look nicer. I guess it is vanity vs practicality one has to weigh.

Best is to try them and see if they work for your use case. If not, you can always resell them. I found wheels are easier to sell than other car parts.

#50 ·
A lower profile tire may cause more impact harshness but a weightier wheel with the same tire does just the opposite. Its added mass responds less quickly to a fast change in direction so the tire absorbs more of an impact before it reaches the suspension.

#42 ·
Glad we solved it! Everyone who runs 18s or 19s stock or not on any of the mqb platform simply doesn't know what they are doing or just hasn't been informed yet. Too bad everyone doesn't listen to the singular authority of vw vortex forums. Now I will know what to tell all of the many golf r drivers I see stranded on the side of a road... /s

This post has been deleted
#44 ·
"...replaced the wimpy spare with full size spare tire my wagon. I carry a nice breaker bar, baby air compressor, and a tire repair kit so a flat means nothing to me."
-Same here
I personally go a little beyond this. Not even kidding. Full size spare, 7000lbs 36" farm/equipment jack (Cut down to 24"), 24" breaker bar, 24" torque wrench, milwaukee 18V impact driver, full compliment of impact sockets with adapters (17mm, 19mm, 21mm, 22mm, 23 mm, 11⁄16 inch, and 13⁄16 inch ), mini compressor, tire plug kit. All of which sit in my "hidden compartment" in the hatch, other than the full size spare, and compressor which sits inside of it obviously.

More often than not, my tools have been used to help people stranded on the side of the road, then for use on my own vehicles.

#47 ·
I never recommend using an impact driver or wrench to break lugs, as I've literally seen lugs BREAK. This is what a breaker bar is for. I'm a steel framer by trade, I always have an impact driver with me, its used just to remove the already broke lugs, and to put them back on as well, and finally torque with the torque wrench. I'm just not one to want and sit and use a tire iron to remove lugs. And here I thought I was going to get flak for using a hilift, so before I do.. I have a 10" extension on the large runner, that will clear any vehicle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.