VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was playing around with our tech books and calculator at my dealership and noticed some cool options for gearing. i have a 3.94 and .76 fifth. it's really quick but now that i'm at 182 whp, it spins thru the top of 1st and easily midway thru 2nd. been thinking of going to a 3.65 and keeping the taller 5th, which by the way is 100 rpms at 80 than in a stock car. well anyway, the MKIV trannies have different 1-3 gears than the MKIII. they work out to be almost the same as a MKIII
with a 3.65. so if you want you can keep your 3.39, and just change 1st and 2nd and have a nice blend thru the gears getting quick acceleration and still tall 3rd, 4th and 5th. it's about a $100 more than the R/P switch but a better combo for higher hp cars. they're also WAY stronger.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Re: Ring and Pinion option for all you guys (M this 1!)

How would this work in a mostly stock car? Similar to the 3.65? If you changed to MK4 1st and 2nd (and I think that I would to third too) with a 3.65, would you get something similar to the 3.94? Not that I have the money to do this, but I think that it would be intresting. Hell, I would even put the .76 5th for better highway milage.

·
Registered
5,089 Posts

I thought you were turboed and puting down about 280?

Well crap. My tranny is probably being pulled apart this very minute. I'll just have to live with the wheel spin, I guess. Maybe I'll just get some Falken Azenis or something. Good work with the R&D though. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
3,770 Posts

If I got you correctly, just open up the tranny and change the 1-2 gears with MK III 1-2 gears? What have you heard of the "re-designed" 2nd gear synchro of the 2002 as a replacement for our grinding one?
Any disadvantages in putting the .76 5th for better highway milage? What if I'm planning to go FI... and drwbacks to doing the 1-2 and 5th swaps?
Thanks

·
Registered
7,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Ring and Pinion option for all you guys (jettafanatic)

i'm at 182 whp now. have been planning on a Matrix stg 1 for a couple months. Jeremy thinks i'll be at 300 chp. so i've been looking at proper gearing to make it happy. just to clear things up, the MKIV cars have lower gearing 1-3rd. so here is my math for some tranny set ups at 7000rpm.
3.39 w/ MKIV 1,2,3 3.39 MKIII 3.67MKIII 3.94MKIII
1. 39.8mph 44 40.4 37.3
2. 69.64 74 68.6 63.4
3. 98 110 101 93.8
4. 139.9 139.9 129 119
i didn't do 5th 'cause i new if i went with the 3.67, i'd keep my .76 and if i went back to a 3.39, i'd put my stock .84 back in. you can see why i said keep the MKIII 3rd gear, it saves money and in my opinion is a nicer blend. i'd rather do 110 than 98. buy now you can see what is looks like. if you already have a MKIV, i'd do the 3.67 unless you're doing F/I, then i'd leave it stock. the 1-3 gears are MUCH harder than the MKIII. i haven't heard anything on the new 2nd syncro though. i know VW synth. oil helps.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts

I think Jettafanatic is referring to that Euro Tuner Quaife install article that says the 2002 1st and 2nd gear synchros have been redesigned to work better. Are you 110% certain that 02J gears will fit in a 02A gearbox? If you are that's great since it gives us the best of both worlds. I remember Carroll Smith writing about choosing gear selection for the track and Greg Raven listed that BASIC program. It was agreed that you didn't want the rev drop too great in a track car the more you got past 60 mph, but that for a street car acceleration was more important. Therefore you'd want to use the Mk3 3rd gear in a track car, but the Mk4 3rd gear in a street car. If you follow his ideology that is. I need to plug some more variables into my spreadsheet to decide which combination would be best for me based on my own dyno graphs and tire diameter.

[Modified by AGRESIVE, 5:15 PM 6-4-2002]

·
Registered
7,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Ring and Pinion option for all you guys (AGRESIVE)

110% correct. had our tranny tech double check. i just decided it'd be better to have the mk III 3rd based on the same data you're checking

1 - 7 of 7 Posts