VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My RNS 315 doesn't show much street detail in the Navigation mode. It just identifies the road or highway and occassionally a side street or two. It doesn't show the names for all the streets and roads. Am I overlooking a setting which would make all that detail appear in the Nav display? Maybe I need to check with my dealer to get it configured right? Or something else? Thanks if anyone has any suggestions.

· Registered
1,253 Posts
My RNS 315 doesn't show much street detail in the Navigation mode. It just identifies the road or highway and occassionally a side street or two. It doesn't show the names for all the streets and roads. Am I overlooking a setting which would make all that detail appear in the Nav display? Maybe I need to check with my dealer to get it configured right? Or something else? Thanks if anyone has any suggestions.
If you twist the middle knob, it will zoom in, and I think you will see more street names, etc.

I don't believe there is a more/less detail setting anywhere that applies to the whole map.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I'll try turning the middle knob. Hopefully, it'll show more street and road names. The NAV is smooth and fast and colorful. It's great to have in my GTI. But, until I can somehow get it to show more detail, it doesn't seem to be as powerful as any of standalone Garmin, Tom Tom, etc. which show plenty of street names, highway names. There must be a way to get the RNS 315 to show that level of detail.

· Registered
1,253 Posts
Thanks. I'll try turning the middle knob. Hopefully, it'll show more street and road names. The NAV is smooth and fast and colorful. It's great to have in my GTI. But, until I can somehow get it to show more detail, it doesn't seem to be as powerful as any of standalone Garmin, Tom Tom, etc. which show plenty of street names, highway names. There must be a way to get the RNS 315 to show that level of detail.
It's def not as powerful as a Garmin or even Android/Google nav. My biggest gripe with it is that it is too rigid in how you enter/find addresses. For example, when you put in the zip code, it may show you 5 different towns/areas/names that share that zip code. If you don't pick the right one, it won't find your address in it.

A Garmin has some degree of fuzzy logic where it will usually figure out what you're looking for. End result is many times I feel like I'm fighting it. However, having it integrated into the car is great, so I overlook the flaws.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Agreed. It has a classic Teutonic feel to it in its rigidness to requiring inputs a certain way. My main complaint is, not to beat the drum too loudly, is how in the world can I get it to show street level names. It'll name the street I'm heading on currently at the bottom of the display and it'll show me crossing intersections, but none of the streets I'm intersecting are named.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.