VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. Required Parts

There were only three things I was really disappointed with in my EOS..
1. The user interface on the MFD2 navigation system.
2. The idea that iPod integration involved the iPOD appearing to be a CD changer.
3. Lack of Bluetooth integration
While I addressed (3) with the Parrot 3000 kit with Audicom Steering wheel intergration until now (1) and (2) could only be addressed by replacing the VW nav with a 3rd party unit. Since I have the wonderful Dynaudio system installed this was not really something I was prepared to consider.
Fortunately VW has solved this problem with RNS-510 Navigation unit and MDI iPod interace, available with MY09 EOS. For various reasons, incluing the fact that my beloved 3.2 engine is no longer available, trading the 07 for an 09 was not an option for me, so I decided to investigate retrofitting the 09 configuration into my 07 model.
After some reasearch on Vortex, and couple of IM conversations and IM with various people of Vortex and VWNAVI i became convinced that this was dooable. My original plan was to source the RNS510 as part of the Jetta TDi sportwagen that will be arriving in Feb, but it turned out that RNS-510 availability was delaying the Sportwagen, so adopted plan 2 and sourced my parts from Rich at OEMPL.US
Here's what I ordered...
The RNS-510 Navigation system

The MDI Interface + iPOD Adaptor Cable
Fiscon Basic Plus Bluetooth Integration

Here's what arrived...

Modified by mark_d_drake at 7:06 PM 1-17-2009

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
2. Tools and Equipment

Installing the RNS-510 proved to be relatively straight forward, requiring a couple of screwdrivers and a few simple tools..

1. A Magentic Pick-up Tool
You will loose one or more screws somewhere where it's not easy to get to it, - trust me on this one

2. A Trim removal Tool
You can use a small screwdriver but you will scratch something noticable - Trust me on this one to

3. A special tool for releasing electical pins from the quad-lock connector on the back of the radio.
I purchased this one.

However this kit from OEMPL.US would probably have been a better bet.

In addition I also finally bought a vag-com cable from ross-tech.

Note you may be able to find a local resource who already owns a VAG-COM cable and who would be prepared to help you perform the VAG-COM programming required to complete the install by posting in either your vortex regional forum or the vortex vag-com forum.

Modified by mark_d_drake at 8:24 PM 1-17-2009

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
3. Remove the existing head unit

First Step, remove the current radio. (Yes, I know some of these pictures show the RNS510, I wasn't going to re-install the MFD2 just to take photos, OK).
Start by releasing the trim at the top of the radio.

Work all the way around the outside edge. Then carefully work accross the top of the center bar as shown.

When released the trim pieces looks like this. You can see where the clips are that attach the trim to dash. Be careful when working in these areas with the trim tool.

Next remove the 4 screws that hold the current unit in place. Use a TORX headed screwdrive for this.

Pull the radio towards you until you can reach round behind it.

At this point you will need to release the Quad-Lock connector on the rear of the radio.
The following pictures show the back of an MFD2 with quad lock connector in place and how to release it

Carefully sqeeze the bottom on the QuadLock connector.

Rotate the handle upwards until the it's 90 degrees to the locked position

Remove the connector from the back of the unit
Slide the unit out

Remove the remaining connectors from the back of the unit. You can now remove the unit from the car.

Modified by mark_d_drake at 7:54 PM 1-17-2009

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
4: MDI Unit

The MDI unit allows the RNS-510 to provide full control over an iPOD ir music stored on an Flash Drive or external USB Drive. The MDI comes in two flavors:
The first, which is the one commonly found in 09 cars is installed in the center console, where the CD Changer or factory fitted iPOD interface is found in 08 and 07 models.
The second is designed for retrofitting in cars which were not factory fitted with the center console MDI. It places the MDI interface cable in the glove box. This is the unit I installed.
The MDI kit show below..

The actual MDI control box can be seen here

The connector on this end is used to attach the cable that connects to the iPOD or USB device.

The connector on th other end is used to attach the cable that interfaces the MDI with the RNS-510

An extension cable is used to allow the iPod or USB device to be located in the glove box.

Modified by mark_d_drake at 7:55 PM 1-17-2009

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
5. Install the MDI Interface cable.

Locate the end of the extension cable that will accept the iPOD or USB Cable. This should look like this..

Thread this end up into the hole shown below and feed it down into the void behind the glove box.

Slide it along the back of the glove box until it located as shown below.

Now get the other end of the MDI extension cable

and feed it up into the same space and the across into the radio compartment.

Modified by mark_d_drake at 7:54 PM 1-17-2009

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
6: MDI Installation

I decided to install the MDI interface under the Ashtray. To do this you have to remove the ashtray as follows
Release the trim around the gear shift using the trim removal tool (Not sure how different this would be with a MT).

Put the ****er into SPORT to get access to the screws that hold the ashtray in place

Undo the screws securing the ash tray and lift the ash tray up.

Carefully release the tabs on the electrical connectors for the ESP and Winter (3.2L) switches and remove the connector from the base of the switch.
Release the tab on the electical connector for the cigarette socket and remove the connector from the base of the socket.
Remove the tab that secures the wires from the base of the ash tray.
You should now be able to remove the ash tray.

Feed the connector for the MDI extension cable down into the void underneath the ashtray and attach it to the socket on the MDI interface box.

Feed the MDI end of RNS510-MDI Cable down into the void beneath the ashtray. The connector looks like this.

Attach it to the socket on the MDI Interface box as shown

Attach the MDI unit in place using 2 sided tape (or Velcro)

Replace the ash tray and re-attach the tab that secures the wires to the ash tray.

Reconnect the power to the cigarette lighter socket. Carefully re-attach power to the ESP and W switches. Be very careful at this point.

Keep firm pressure on the top of the switch while reattaching the connector to the bottom of the switch. It is easy to push the switch out of its holder while completing this operation

Reattach the screws that hold the ash tray in place and reattach the trim around the DSG shift by pressing down firmly all around.

Modified by mark_d_drake at 6:42 PM 1-19-2009

Modified by mark_d_drake at 5:23 PM 1-21-2009

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
7. MDI Harness Wiring

The other end of the MDI RNS-510 interface cable looks like this...

It has to be patched into the Quad-Lock connector that was attached to the back of the RNS-510. The cable is patch in by removing pins from the Quad-Lock and replacing them with pins on the interface cable. The pins that are removed from the Quad-Lock are then attached to connectors that plug into the interface cable.
Before removing the pins from the Quad-Lock connector I would strongly advise removing the fuse that protects the NAV system for the fuse panel.

In order to be able to remove pins from the QuadLock the lock pin must be removed. The lock pin is the pink pin that can be seen in the following picture. The pin can be removed using a pair of fine tweezers.

Once the lock pin has been removed the pins on the Quad Lock connector should be removed following the instructions in the MDI manual.
To remove a pin from the Quad-Lock insert the electical pin removal tool into the front of the connector and push gently.

This should release the barbs that lock the pin in place and push the pin up at the other end of the connector

At this point it should be possible to remove the pin from the connector using a gentle tug on the wire. If the pin does not come free easily do not pull harder.
The pins that are removed from the Quad-Lock connector should be placed into the connectors supplied with the MDI unit and the connectors are then plugged into the appropriate sockets on the MDI interface cable.

Replace the pins that are removed from the Quad-Lock connector with the corresponding pins from the MDI cable.
The next step is where it gets really interesting.
My original configuration consisted of a iPOD controller and an AUX-IN located in the glove box. I also had a sirius reciever that I never used.
In a 2007 the CD was connected to the MFD2 via a blue plug in the back of the Quad Lock connector (This may be different in later models).
I removed the blue connector from the Quad-Lock connector.

Following the instructions in the MDI installation guide I took the green, yellow and grey pins on the MDI interface cable and placed them into the new blue connector supplied with the MDI unit. I then attached the new blue connector to the back of the Quad-Lock connector.

Modified by mark_d_drake at 6:54 AM 1-22-2009

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
8 AUX-IN

I then re-activated my AUX-IN. For a 2007 this was different from the process outlined in the MDI installation guide
It appears that on my configuration the AUX-IN in the glove-box was connected to the MFD2 using the secondary connector. The cables on this connector were yellow, green and black.

I removed the pins from this connector by using a small flat headed screw driver to release the locking barb, and attached them to the 4 pin connector supplied with the MDI unit. I attached yellow -> yellow, green -> green and black -> grey. I then attached this connector to the corresponding socket on the MDI interace cable.

Modified by mark_d_drake at 6:55 AM 1-22-2009

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
9: FISCON Integration

The Fiscon Basic Plus device enables bluetooth phone integration with the MFD and the RNS-510. Unlike the parrot unit I had installed previously the Fiscon uses, rather bypasses the cars existing audio system, and also integrates directly with the MFD unit and the RNS-510.
The Fiscon system is very simple to install. Like the Parrot it comes with a harness that makes integrating it into the car totally plug'n'play.

To install the harness simply plug the Quad-Lock connector into the back of the RNS-510. Despite the apparent sealed nature of the connector

it plugs straight into the RNS-510 when the quad-lock is in the open position.

The Fiscon unit is a simple box which can be located anywhere that is convienant.

I located the microphone in-front of the instrument cluster. Based on my experience with having the mic located in the overhead light cluster I felt that having the mic here would work better, particularly with the top down, and this appears to be the case.

I routed the microphone cable into the spit in the dash and behind the radio and down into void under the ash tray and plugged it into the socket on the FISCON interface cable.
I decided to install the Fiscon unit behind the passanger side floor trim. To remove this trim remove the screw in the passanger foot well and then tug down on the panel to remove it.

To complete the installation I fed the FISCON intertface cable into the void beneath the ash tray and attached it to the Fiscon unit.

Modified by mark_d_drake at 6:51 AM 1-22-2009

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
10: iPod Cradle

The one thing I was unhappy with this configuration was the fact that the iPod was not held securely in place when it was in the glove box.

To solve this I added a ProClip iPod cradle with pass thru connector.

The IPOD connects to the MDI interface with an MDI-iPOD interface cable.

I connected the cable to bottom of the ProClip and looped it up through the back of the cradle

I removed the Brodit cradle from it's rotating mount and bolted it the side of the glove box. Care must be taken to ensure that cradle is postitioned so as to allow the iPod to be easily removed and at the same time making sure the Glove box will still close when the iPod is in the cradle and the cables are attached.

Note that I doubt that you could use a side mount like this with an iPhone, but you could undoubtably mount it horizantally accross the back or the front of the glove box.

Modified by mark_d_drake at 10:56 PM 1-17-2009

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
10. Connect the RNS-510

Connect the Quad-Lock connector to the back of the RNS-510. If you are installing the FISCON you will connect the original Quad-Lock connector to the socket on the back of FISCON interface cable.

You will need an adaptor cable for the white and beige antenna connections

Simply connect yor existing antenna cables to the sockets on the adaptor cable and then connect the white connector on the adaptor cable to the white socket on the back of the RNS510.

If you had a existing factory NAV system then you should be able to connect the blue connector on the NAV cable to the blue connector on the RNS510. If you did not have an existing NAV system and antenna then you wiill need to install a mouse antenna and cable.
If you are re-enabling a Sirius Radio connection you will need to run an extension cable from the Sirius antenna connection under the passenger seat up to the back of the RNS510. It should be possilble to route the cable under the carpet.

Modified by mark_d_drake at 9:19 PM 1-20-2009

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
11. MDI Earth Cable.

The MDI has an earth cable which need to be attached to a gounding post. I theory there is a grounding post under the center console but I could not locate it, Fortunately the ground wire that comes with the MDI is long enough to be routed to the Grounding post at the base of the A Pillar on the passanger side.
To access the ground piller remove the middle and lower sections of the 'A' Piller trim

The Lower piece can be remove by grabbing it at the back and twisting towards you.

As can be seen it's held in place by a single clip.

This will expose the ground pin.

Next remove the padding around the passanger side foot well vents. The padding is held in place by two plastic screws that can be removed by hand.

Route the earth cable accross the base of the glove box and secure to the grounding post

Re-assemble the padding and A Piller trim. Be careful to ensure that the rubber seal is correcly positioned as show in the top picture.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
13 Sound System

So what did I get at the end of this....
Splash screen with Dynaudio activated...

Audio Setup Options

Volume options

Balance / Fader control

Speed Sensitive Volume control

Modified by mark_d_drake at 9:34 PM 1-20-2009

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.