VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Golf TDI has the RNS-510 with Nav. When the key is turned off, the radio shuts off completely. Is there a setting that will keep the radio on until the key is removed? I don't recall this being an issue with my other VWs.
I know you can turn it back on by pressing the power on the radio, but there are times I want to keep listening to what's on but turn the car off, leaving the key in.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Re: RNS-510 turns off with the key. Options? (dhambrick)

I have the RNS and no, I haven't found a way around that. When I get to work and park in the employee lot (East Siberia) then I have to wait anywhere from 30 seconds to maybe 6 minutes for a shuttle to come by. I typically just turn off the engine, leave the key in and then turn back up to standby. I end up getting back exactly the station/track/whatever I was listening to. Personally, I'd rather have the system set to no power at all when I pull the key. But, that's only my $0.02.

·
Registered
15,515 Posts
Re: RNS-510 turns off with the key. Options? (volsfan0911)

Same with the RCD 510 (or whatever model is below the nav unit).
It's very annoying. Someone will have to find a fix. My Mk3 does not do this, nor did the Mk4s, as I understand. Started with the Mk5s. Friend's 2001 325i does this too. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif
Proper operation, as on the Mk3, is to wait until the key is removed from the ignition - not hard.

Btw, you can immediately turn the unit back on even with the key removed.
Can't say if it'll remember last track or whatever in that case.

Modified by RogueTDI at 8:43 PM 2-1-2010

·
Registered
23,418 Posts
Re: RNS-510 turns off with the key. Options? (volsfan0911)

Quote, originally posted by volsfan0911 »

I typically just turn off the engine, leave the key in and then turn back up to standby. I end up getting back exactly the station/track/whatever I was listening to. Personally, I'd rather have the system set to no power at all when I pull the key. But, that's only my $0.02.

Don't you get the same station/settings also when just powering the unit, back on?
I agree with the power cut when removing the key, but wished the radio would remain on until the key is removed.
There may be a technical issue with the unit communicating with the ECU (or the lack of communication) if one were to change the wiring. Perhaps that's why VW couldn't implement the more traditional way.

·
Registered
15,515 Posts
Re: RNS-510 turns off with the key. Options? (feels_road)

Interesting... like, speed sensitive volume or something? That might make sense. But couldnt they just keep the ECU running .. hmm.. I dont know. It's very annoying either way. Can't believe a simple coding solution isnt possible for this if ECU comm is the issue.

·
Registered
23,418 Posts
Re: RNS-510 turns off with the key. Options? (RogueTDI)

No, I agree it must be a coding issue. I would assume the ECU is off when the key is out of the ignition (but perhaps I am wrong?), and the radio still works - if switched back on. My theory is that if you were to switch off the ECU while the radio is on, this may throw off the radio (and/or throw codes). But perhaps that's not the issue at all - too much speculation ... I need a

·
Registered
15,515 Posts
Re: RNS-510 turns off with the key. Options? (Peteski)

Quote, originally posted by Peteski »
You can code your cluster to European Mode and it will be just the way you want it.

Say what?!?!

Please explain in excruciating detail. Are you saying the radio can be made to stay on when engine is turned off but key left in? This is done how exactly? Vagcom?

·
Banned
650 Posts

Search is your friend.
Yes you can use Vagcom or VCDS to code your cluster to european mode, and your radio will stay on when key is in off position after engine is turned off.

·
Registered
15,515 Posts

Search is your friend.
Yes you can use Vagcom or VCDS to code your cluster to european mode, and your radio will stay on when key is in off position after engine is turned off.

Well, search is apparently not my friend, nor many people's, since many have been asking about this for some time here and nobody's ever suggested that this is possible.
Hope this is the case. Be a champ and post a link eh?

·
Banned
53,531 Posts

Quote, originally posted by RogueTDI »
.....is to wait until the key is removed from the ignition - not hard.

At least on the Mk4, that feature is a mechanical switch function inside the ignition switch. It's an additional complication and potential failure point that may best be eliminated.
Can reaching over and touching the radio "on" control be that hard?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Re: RNS-510 turns off with the key. Options? (GTINC)

My cluster is coded as "European" but it doesn't leave the radio on when I shut off the car or take the key out... I don't know where you heard that one.

·
Registered
15,515 Posts
Re: RNS-510 turns off with the key. Options? (GTINC)

Quote, originally posted by GTINC »

At least on the Mk4, that feature is a mechanical switch function inside the ignition switch. It's an additional complication and potential failure point that may best be eliminated.
Can reaching over and touching the radio "on" control be that hard?

And what kind of switch does the Mk6 use? It's not a matter of difficulty, but of the sound being interrupted unnecessarily.

·
Registered
677 Posts

Search is your friend.

Fail.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I've read the same, but from the folks I have heard who have done this, while this coding solved the radio problems, it also introduced several others, non radio related, this caused them to set the coding back to the US specific coding.

Sorry,
Steve

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: (Steve Z1)

Quote, originally posted by Steve Z1 »
I've read the same, but from the folks I have heard who have done this, while this coding solved the radio problems, it also introduced several others, non radio related, this caused them to set the coding back to the US specific coding.

Sorry,
Steve

This is correct. I had a B6 Passat that worked as everybody would expect. That's why it was such a shock when the first time I pulled into my garage wanting to listen to the rest of something on the radio, and it shut off. Heck, even old 99 Windstar kept the radio on until the door opened, key in OR out.
I have played around in VCDS, and even though the MkVI TDI coding isn't complete, there isn't anything I can find that will change the behavior of the radio.

·
Registered
5,658 Posts

The MkV's with the RNS-510 operated how the OP described; head unit turns off as soon as the ignition is switched off, rather than when the key is actually removed from the ignition like all other MkV's, MkIV's, and MkIII's. The solution in the MkV with the factory-installed RNS-510 is to code to instrument cluster to UK or Europe. I proposed a while ago that this may work for the MkVI but I believe that people who have attempted this ran into other errors. B6 Passats had the same problem when trying to recode the instrument clusters to something other than U.S. Not sure if they found a workaround for the other errors encountered.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: RNS-510 turns off with the key. Options? (Pelican18TQA4)

There is no work around to code NA B6s to UK/Europe. I was in that mess in the Ross-Tech forum. I literally spent hours working on that.
I had a non-Nav radio with Dynaudio in my B6, and it did not shut off when the ignition was cut off.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts

Quote, originally posted by dhambrick »
My Golf TDI has the RNS-510 with Nav. When the key is turned off, the radio shuts off completely. Is there a setting that will keep the radio on until the key is removed? I don't recall this being an issue with my other VWs.
I know you can turn it back on by pressing the power on the radio, but there are times I want to keep listening to what's on but turn the car off, leaving the key in.

I just found out my RCD-510 can be turned on, anytime apparently, without the key. I was messin' with the SD card over the weekend and popped it into the slot and the system came on before I ever put the key in the ignition. There doesn't appear to be a time-out for this feature, as I checked again this morning by pressing the power button before I put the key in the iginition and it fired up just fine.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.