VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 20 of 277 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright, I am starting this thread to help with the multiple questions in multiple threads across multiple sites. I will be posting this on TDIClub also. My hope is to explain and clarify the updates that are out there, both Firmware, and Maps on the RNS510. For simplification purposes, this is ONLY addressing the versions of the RNS510 that come from the factory in the NMS Passat 2012-2014.

Firmware - This is the Operating system of the radio, and controls general functions.

Map Data - It is just that, Map Data, it does not affect general operation of the Radio.

VIM - Video In Motion. It allows you to watch a DVD Movie on the Radio while the car is moving. VIM appears to work on all versions of the Firmware, Map Updates DO NOT affect VIM. It has been tested on 4369 that comes on the K version RNS510's by several people and it does work.

We will discuss the Firmware Versions first:

2625 - Some VERY early 2012's came from the factory with this Firmware.
3690/3696 - What most 2012/2013 RNS510's came with from the factory. It allowed TrafficLink to work. Works on E-J Units.
4366 - Late 2013's came with this Firmware, and if you bought a J unit straight from a Continental dealer. Improved speed and responsiveness of the unit in general over the previous versions. Works on E-J Units.
4369 - 2014's come with this. The Unit is a K Unit. There are small hardware changes within the unit, including a different drive controller and an IDE SSD. It is faster than a J Unit, but that is due to the SSD not the Firmware difference. It will ONLY work on a K Unit, as far as known at this point. Nobody has tried, because there is a High likely hood it will brick a J unit or older.
5374 - Newer 2014's come with this. The Unit is a L Unit. There are small hardware changes within the unit, including a different drive controller and an IDE SSD. It is faster than a J Unit, but that is due to the SSD not the Firmware difference. It will ONLY work on a K/L Unit, as far as known at this point. Nobody has tried, because there is a High likely hood it will brick a J unit or older.

Now the Map Updates:

7870 - Known as V5, and contains 2011Q3 Map data from NavTeq. It is what most 2012/2013's came loaded with from the factory.
7963 - Known as V6, and contains 2012Q3 Map data from Navteq. It appears that the 2014's are coming with this loaded from the factory. VW is not loading it, Continental is loading it before shipping it to the VW factory. The update does exist from various 3rd party sources for the 2012/2013's.
7994 - Known as V5.2, and contains 2011Q3 Map data from Navteq. It is the Map disc VW recently shipped to all 2013 owners. It is the same data as what come from the factory, but appears to reorganize it to improve access to it when using the NAV functions.
8050 - Known as V7, and contains 2013Q1 Map data from Navteq. It appears that the newer 2014's with L Units are coming with this loaded from the factory. VW is not loading it, Continental is loading it before shipping it to the VW factory. The update does exist from various 3rd party sources for the 2012/2013's, and from Navteq.
8112 - Known as V8, and contains 2013Q3 Map data from Navteq. It appears that some of the newer 2014's are coming with this loaded from the factory. VW is not loading it, Continental is loading it before shipping it to the VW factory. The update does exist from various 3rd party sources for the 2012/2013's, and from Navteq.
8213 - Known as V9, and contains 2014Q1 Map data from Navteq. The update does exist from various 3rd party sources, and from Navteq.

All Map updates Discs can only be attained by visiting the following site:
http://www.navigation.com/vw

These updates are provided by Navteq.

Hope this helps to clarify. If anybody has anything to add, post it, and if it is pertinent I will edit the above or add it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I just received that 7994 disc in the mail from VW. Anyone that's installed it already have any comments on differences? I would also really want to know if it will eliminate my VIM hack.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just received that 7994 disc in the mail from VW. Anyone that's installed it already have any comments on differences? I would also really want to know if it will eliminate my VIM hack.
It WILL NOT eliminate your VIM hack, like I said above. A Map update like 7994 has NO effect on VIM.

Please read above that I posted. It will answer most of your questions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks

As always, thanks for this concise summary LokiWolf. I also received the 5.2 update in the mail. Odd since dealerships were charging some real money for the maps UG not that long ago.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a 2013 Passat with RNS-510. Below are before and after photos after applying the update DVD provided free of charge by VW...
Thanks??? We are well aware of the fact that the Map version will change. It is a Map Update disc. What I was trying to get across as part of my post, was that you are not gaining ANY additional Map Data. IT is the EXACT same data. It reorganizes the index slightly to help with accessing it a bit faster. :cool:

·
Registered
481 Posts
Loki... Early build 12s even had a lower firmware... 26xx something. I saw the forum threads on the 3696 upgrades and had to pressure like pulling teeth the dealer to also apply to my Passat as it was marked for 3000 (may have been the 3690) series to 3696. They (once agreed and I gave then their teeth back) did the 26xx-3000 (sorry can't remember) then 3xxx-3696.

I just remember that as I had a Passat and Tig, both 12s, months apart. The Tig had the higher. They applied the update to 3696 no pressure on the Tig, but for the earlier FW on the Passat it was literally like pulling teeth (but did get the upgrade).

Long way of saying, you may want to add a note for early 12 build Passats of a 26xx series. (I'm on 4366 now!)

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Loki... Early build 12s even had a lower firmware... 26xx something. I saw the forum threads on the 3696 upgrades and had to pressure like pulling teeth the dealer to also apply to my Passat as it was marked for 3000 (may have been the 3690) series to 3696. They (once agreed and I gave then their teeth back) did the 26xx-3000 (sorry can't remember) then 3xxx-3696.

I just remember that as I had a Passat and Tig, both 12s, months apart. The Tig had the higher. They applied the update to 3696 no pressure on the Tig, but for the earlier FW on the Passat it was literally like pulling teeth (but did get the upgrade).

Long way of saying, you may want to add a note for early 12 build Passats of a 26xx series. (I'm on 4366 now!)
Thanks! Awesome info. I'll do a little homework, and figure out the exact Firmware revision and add it.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
With reference to the 7944 disk that '13 owners are now receiving, if this disk is installed over a 7963 install, will it back level the map data or will it just reorganize it to improve access to it when using the NAV functions?

·
Registered
252 Posts
With reference to the 7944 disk that '13 owners are now receiving, if this disk is installed over a 7963 install, will it back level the map data or will it just reorganize it to improve access to it when using the NAV functions?
By saying 7944 disk, I assume you meant to say 7994 disk (map data Version 5.2, 2011 Q3). Compared to 7963 (Version 6, 2012 Q3), it is an older map data.

So, yes, if you installed 7994 over 7963, you're actually getting older map data.
If I were you, I wouldn't do that.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
By saying 7944 disk, I assume you meant to say 7994 disk (map data Version 5.2, 2011 Q3). Compared to 7963 (Version 6, 2012 Q4), it is an older map data.

So, yes, if you installed 7994 over 7963, you're actually getting older map data.
If I were you, I wouldn't do that.
What he said...

·
Registered
481 Posts
Thanks! Awesome info. I'll do a little homework, and figure out the exact Firmware revision and add it.
It's prob in my old posts, just hard to search fm phone and away fm CPU at the moment.

On edit: found it...
Passat during 10K service flashed RNS510 FW 2625 to 3696 (2625-via 3680-3696 to be exact). Early build 12, took delivery OCT 2011.

Tiguan build and delivery was later for me ... like Jan 12 delivery, I think. it had 3680 default so just went 3680-3696 there.

I see you added the 2625 note already. Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi can anyone help
I've tried to ask this on tdi forum but my account was closed?!?
I have: T0035680H
HW H70
SW 4120
Map 7690
Is it possible to update it and if yes how without going to see Vw dealer
Thank you

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
PM me here. I tried to reply to you on TDI Club, but your account did not allow PM's. Did you ever verify your account when it sent you an e-mail at TDIClub?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hi can anyone help
I've tried to ask this on tdi forum but my account was closed?!?
I have: T0035680H
HW H70
SW 4120
Map 7690
Is it possible to update it and if yes how without going to see Vw dealer
Thank you

Hi.

Here is about the North American RNS 510, from your model #, SW and Map, it looked like you're from EU.
But if you're from NA and bough a EU model, then I don't know if it's possible to convert it to a NA model.
Someone with better knowledge will probably confirm.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Loki, I PM'd you a few days back but I saw your response on another site about some people not being able to receive PM's. Let me know if I'm one of them, I've been around for a while and pretty sure I've got them in the past

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi.

Here is about the North American RNS 510, from your model #, SW and Map, it looked like you're from EU.
But if you're from NA and bough a EU model, then I don't know if it's possible to convert it to a NA model.
Someone with better knowledge will probably confirm.
Good catch. Correct. This firmware is for the 510 version in the NMS Passat. The one in the B7 Passat sold in the EU is a different version of the 510.

1 - 20 of 277 Posts