VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll start with the pics of our trip on the way there...

1122miles from Texarkana, AR to Sebring International Raceway, FL

Just getting started...

No stereo... because racecar. She drove the first half of the trip. Notice the "In-Dash Navigation Powered By Google Maps". AKA the route directions I printed off.

It was a clear, beautiful day the whole trip.

The Atchafalaya Basin Bridge. At 18.2 miles, it is the fourteenth longest bridge in the world by total length.

The Atchafalaya Basin Bridge.

For a good time call.....

Nearing "Nawlins"...

West side of Lake Pontchartrain headed for NOLA

I-10 Twin Span Bridge east of NOLA. This bridge was severely damaged by Katrina. Driving through NOLA was pretty interesting. Still a good chunk of houses damaged. There was basically a whole neighborhood that looked abandoned and overgrown. Didn't look too old or rundown of houses either.

New state! Never been here before.

Ingall's Shipyard. Building ships for the Navy. Kinda cool, I guess.

Bama. Another state I'd never been to.

Tunnel in Mobile... I like tunnels. This one had a lot of traffic leading up to it and through it, so we weren't able to do the usual WOT shenanigans. :(

USS Alabama

At this point, I took over the driving... so no more pictures from the drive there. At this point, it was 6pm EST and we had been on the road for about 8 hours. We crossed into Florida and it gave us both a sort of "Yay, Florida... not much further now." And then I remembered... we've still got about 500 more miles to go. :lol: Ended up getting there around 3am EST. 17 hours total on the road. Traffic was a real killer on the interstates... and then both of the US highways (Texarkana to Shreveport and Orlando to Sebring) were big time killers, especially the Orlando to Sebring one. Once there, we parked in the overflow parking, threw some comforters around the back of the GTI, and passed out. We had the best alarm clock ever though... race cars starting up in the paddock. :) So we got dressed and headed on over right as they were starting their morning warm up laps.

After that, we decided to do some walking around and see what was around the track. Lambo LP700-4

Old winners in the track museum.

They had a bunch of classic cars that did a couple of parade laps before hand.

This puppy was charging next to someone's camper

DELTA WING! It didn't really push it, just sort of did two laps cruising around at a quick pace. Very cool though.

Trouble early on. He came to the paddocks about 5 minutes into the race. From what I could tell, the alt died... and let's just say it didn't look like it was very easy to change on these cars.

The racecar version of one of my favorite cars. Love it.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Front brakes on the M5... drool.

Wife loved the GT-R's

Because Racecar

We head back to the paddocks and this guy is in there again! I'm not sure what it was this time... appeared to be transmission related, but I'm not sure.

I LOVE the 08+ M3's... and I am not really a BMW fan at all.

British Sex

Falken Tires Drift Car

Audi R18 TDI... these cars were DAMN FAST!

At this point, we went and ate something and then went back to the car for something, I don't remember what... but the sun was going down, so I left the camera behind. I kind of regret it, but it allowed me to concentrate on the night racing, which was by FAR the best part of the day. Fireballs on deceleration, fireballs on acceleration, glowing red exhaust tips, glowing red rotors... a few of my favorite things. The race had quite the dramatic finish on the GT side. I was pulling for the Ferrari, but the BMW stayed ahead. They're off to another great start this year.

From pit lane after the race was over. The Audi team passed out a few Audi flags after the race was over. I snatched one of the last ones up. :)

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Here are the videos. Nothing spectacular, really.

This is right after a restart from yellow. I love how bunched up they were. I didn't capture the Audi's in this one, because I thought I was running out of room on my memory stick, so I wanted to make it quick... and they were already about 5 seconds ahead.

This is a lap or two after the previous restart from yellow. It gives you a good view of how silent the Audi R18 TDI's are and how quickly they could gain a lead.

This video is really shaky. You've been warned.

Here's another video that gives you a sense of how quickly those Audi R18's could gain a lead. This shows 1 lap after a restart to green after caution. By they time they get to me, they already have a good 5 second lead over the rest of the pack. Damn quick cars.

This is of a restart to green... you can't see much, but this was one of my favorite parts... standing in the walkway over the track. I wish they didn't have the sides covered up with signs, but oh well. The video doesn't capture the best parts: the in-person sound, the rumble in you chest, and the whole walkway swaying/bouncing/etc.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The drive home was somewhat uneventful. Getting from Sebring to the interstate took FOREVER. There wasn't an overwhelming amount of traffic, but it wasn't smooth cruising... and it seemed like we hit every damn red light. Once on the interstate, things went alright. :lol: We ran out of gas on the interstate. 100 yards from the off-ramp. We got REALLY lucky though, because what the gauge showed indicated to me that we still had about 2 gallons... and I was gonna keep on trucking. So that was a first. She wanted to see a beach, so we made a stop at Pensacola Beach (ugh, traffic). After that, I let her do most of the driving while I passed out in the passenger seat. She made a few wrong turns and I grouchily yelled a little. I think we made it home right around 4am CST. Another 17 hours of driving, with an hour of dicking around at beaches, eating, and walking to a gas station, haha.

This shows how much dirt and such got on the car while at the Track... its all from the parking area though, not from the racing.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
now that is picture HEAVY!:D

great, great pictures, thank you very much!!

also, inb4someonequotesop
LOL! Thanks, it was a good time.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I have vertigo from all your tilted pictures. Someone needs to get you a level. :laugh:
:laugh:

I'm admittedly out of practice. These were too extreme, for sure, and I noticed that when I put them on my computer. A very slight tilt can really set a picture off and capture the car well... a lot of these were certainly over done.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Sebring is a hell of a fun time, isn't it? A big party that just happens to be combined with the best sports car racing this country has to offer. We (the Fourtitude crew, that is) were down there again this year to cover the Audi side of things. I was one of the guys in the blue photo vests wandering around and getting in the way. ;)

I'll start with the pics of our trip on the way there...

This puppy was charging next to someone's camper

It was kind of cool, wasn't it? First one I'd seen in person. If you had turned around from this picture, you'd have seen the trailer we stayed in all week. The Karma was basically pointed right at our trailer. We had an A7 and our red long term R8 down with us.

I've got a soft spot in my heart for this car. I've ridden in it a couple of times when Audi USA has loaned it to us, and it's awesome.

Sounds like you had a great trip. Our crew drove about as many miles as you did, but we started in Hershey, PA and came South while you guys were headed East.

-Tim

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Wow. I have to give you props on taking that trip in a MK2 with no radio. We drove from Baltimore in MK6 and that was a hell of a drive. This is my 3rd year going and I am now a lifer. The last 2 years I only had a 2.5 hour drive as I was living in Palm Beach (I miss the Florida living.)

I have not had any time to edit my pics since I have been back. I can't wait till next year. But till then I will be catching the Baltimore, VIR, and Watkins Glen races. Nothing like the ALMS.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
You took the car that's in your sig that far? With a bare roll cage? Not sure if you're dumb or brave. lol! :p

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What an amazing experience
Indeed it was!

Sebring is a hell of a fun time, isn't it? A big party that just happens to be combined with the best sports car racing this country has to offer. We (the Fourtitude crew, that is) were down there again this year to cover the Audi side of things. I was one of the guys in the blue photo vests wandering around and getting in the way. ;)

It was kind of cool, wasn't it? First one I'd seen in person. If you had turned around from this picture, you'd have seen the trailer we stayed in all week. The Karma was basically pointed right at our trailer. We had an A7 and our red long term R8 down with us.

I've got a soft spot in my heart for this car. I've ridden in it a couple of times when Audi USA has loaned it to us, and it's awesome.

Sounds like you had a great trip. Our crew drove about as many miles as you did, but we started in Hershey, PA and came South while you guys were headed East.

-Tim
An awesome experience, without a doubt. I hope to be able to attend in the future, only with more days off from work. :laugh: I must have missed the R8 though. Makes me sad because that's my favorite car these days. Especially in red.

Wow. I have to give you props on taking that trip in a MK2 with no radio. We drove from Baltimore in MK6 and that was a hell of a drive. This is my 3rd year going and I am now a lifer. The last 2 years I only had a 2.5 hour drive as I was living in Palm Beach (I miss the Florida living.)

I have not had any time to edit my pics since I have been back. I can't wait till next year. But till then I will be catching the Baltimore, VIR, and Watkins Glen races. Nothing like the ALMS.
I've covered A LOT of miles in this ole MK2 in the last year, actually. The first couple trips were kind of hard without the radio... but I've grown used to it. And the sweet sound of that VR6 is all the music my ears need [/cheesy]

This was my first ALMS event and I loved it. I used to live in NW Ohio about an hour from Mid-Ohio. I went to the Grand-Am event quite a few times, but never made it out for the ALMS race. Next year I'm hoping to be able to hit the 24 Hours of Daytona, Sebring, and the Petit Le Mans. Sebring is the only one I have off this year and I don't have enough vacation to cover the others and still cover our Christmas Shut Down. :( I really wish ALMS still did the Houston Grand Prix... that'd be A LOT closer, haha. Hopefully once the track in Austin opens up, they'll host some ALMS and Grand-Am events. I won't get my hopes up, but I will cross my fingers.

You took the car that's in your sig that far? With a bare roll cage? Not sure if you're dumb or brave. lol! :p
Yes, we took the MK2 VR6 that's in my sig, but perhaps you should read through my entire "Project thread". ;) Cage has been out of the car for a year now. Actually, you should have been able to tell from my pics above that the Roll Cage isn't in there anymore.

·
Registered
10,102 Posts
I'm pretty sure this thread has damaged my laptop internals. :thumbup:

I would have treated ya to some Cajun food and Abita beer if I would have known you went through. :beer:

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
Looks like an awesome trip....note to self, go to Sebring next year....now that I've done PLM, need to do Daytona 24 and Sebring next...

Random note, that C6RS convertible is Pratt's own car, you can see that car driving around Novi, MI area sometimes....

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Awesome experience!
Looks like lots of fun. I'm glad I live so close to Long Beach to be able to watch the ALMS races there.
Hell I'm close enough to Monterey to watch the race at Laguna Seca as well.
Always a treat to see these amazing cars.
And those C6.Rs are LOUD :laugh:

:beer::beer:

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
There you have it folks... the OP has been quoted.

I'm pretty sure this thread has damaged my laptop internals. :thumbup:

I would have treated ya to some Cajun food and Abita beer if I would have known you went through. :beer:
That would have been real nice while we were sitting in traffic on I-10 all through town. :laugh:

Looks like an awesome trip....note to self, go to Sebring next year....now that I've done PLM, need to do Daytona 24 and Sebring next...

Random note, that C6RS convertible is Pratt's own car, you can see that car driving around Novi, MI area sometimes....
Awesome! I didn't know that.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.