VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drove from north GA to south FL averaging 71mph on the highways with the AC on and got a genuine 37mpg. Trip computer said 40.2 but manual calculation was 37.0. This is an S trim DSG and I was using 87 octane. Can鈥檛 believe it gets such good mileage!

Registered
Sounds about right, pretty close to my Alltrack. Glad to hear I won't be taking a hit next year when I trade Frau Blucher in for a GTI (y)

Reactions: Chuckable

Registered
2019 Arteon, 2016 .:R, 1991 Mazda B2600i
Sounds high. But if legit then Kudos

Not an apples to apples comparison, still EA888 2.0 Engines tho.

But I recently did NC to South FL in '16 Golf R (Manual so 1 less gear - it does about 3K RPM at 80 MPH). 29.2 Down 29.8 back.
Then I did NC to OH in '19 Arteon: peak avg consumption I saw was 32.4 (8 Speed non-DSG Auto).

I usually DGAF about mileage and have oil temp up, but lately been putting avg consumption up and have not been hooning on either of those trips. :(

Registered
Impressive - you must have had quite a tailwind, or tailored your driving style for maximum fuel economy.

It has been a very rare tank of fuel that has returned anything outside of 26-28mpg for my mk8.

Registered

But I recently did NC to South FL in '16 Golf R (Manual so 1 less gear - it does about 3K RPM at 80 MPH). 29.2 Down 29.8 back.
Then I did NC to OH in '19 Arteon: peak avg consumption I saw was 32.4 (8 Speed non-DSG Auto).

I usually DGAF about mileage and have oil temp up, but lately been putting avg consumption up and have not been hooning on either of those trips. :(
Font Screenshot Electric blue Rectangle Number

Recent road trip Michigan to South Padre Island. S with DSG.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I don鈥檛 usually care much about fuel economy either, but at over $4/gallon it鈥檚 nice to be able to run 87 and get such good mileage at the same time.

Registered
2019 Arteon, 2016 .:R, 1991 Mazda B2600i
I should have mentioned this: The Golf R is EQT Vortex Equipped and e-tuned by EQT with full bolt-ons supporting.
Arteon is stock, until 'people first' expires. Then it's Jb4 finds a home. 馃懣:devilish::)

Registered
2017 GLI
Drove from north GA to south FL averaging 71mph on the highways with the AC on and got a genuine 37mpg. Trip computer said 40.2 but manual calculation was 37.0. This is an S trim DSG and I was using 87 octane. Can鈥檛 believe it gets such good mileage!
Likewise, just drove round trip from Greensboro NC to Syracuse on I-81 with all the mountains and twisty roads in my 2017 GLI (DSG) and averaged 36 mpg on 89 octane. Drove between 70-80 mph. Incredible!

Registered
It's no surprise that Volkswagen gets good gas mileage... That's been their entire premise since their inception.

Registered
Sounds about right. 71 mph seems to be the sweet spot for fuel economy and the trip computer usually reads higher then measured from the pump.

Mileage goes down a bit in winter-probably a combo of additives in the blend as well as slightly longer time to get engine oils up to proper temperature

One of the best cars that I have owned.

Although I miss my TDI (for the bottom end torque) but not at today鈥檚 diesel prices馃ズ

1 - 16 of 16 Posts