VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a thought...esp. for Left Coasters. If you've ever given thought to a Canadian road trip...consider a trip North out of Vancouver on 99 to Whistler. The off-season (now) is highly recommended. Two lanes of twists (complete with views) with the occasional passing lane to accommodate lesser vehicles. Never a Mountie in sight. If you make it to Whistler...consider a day trip to Pemberton; just 25 miles North. Makes you remember why you held out for your R32 in the first place.

·
Registered
9,525 Posts
Re: Road Trip: Whistler (JimmyJetta72)

Quote, originally posted by JimmyJetta72 »
.... Never a Mountie in sight......

I agree with everything except for this statemment. They have some nice little hides in there. Watch for them at the end of long straight stretches.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Re: Road Trip: Whistler (banzaimf)

Also this summer might not be a good time because they are widening the road for the 2010 Olympics!!! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
-jfost
edit: I'm not a hater - it IS an excellent road!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Road Trip: Whistler (banzaimf)

Point taken...only my third time through (first in the R32). At least they would appear to have a hard time hiding on the bends. BTW: Anyone else notice the impact of the Canadian 94 octane?

·
Registered
9,525 Posts

Point taken...only my third time through (first in the R32). At least they would appear to have a hard time hiding on the bends. BTW: Anyone else notice the impact of the Canadian 94 octane?

I go up 2 or 3 times a winter, plus another few during the summer. Plus my GF is from Squamish, so we know the roads fairly well. Anyways, the 94 is nice, but I really want to try it now that I have the APR 93oct program now.

·
Registered
875 Posts

No road work on Sat or Sun...choose wisely.

ahhh, good point. Didn't know that as I have defected to California form my native Seattle. Tahoe rocked this year though!
Banzai - how did you find the one available single girl in Squamish? Everytime I pass through there on the way to WB I look, and they all have snowboarder boyfriends!!! Canadian girls rule!!!

-jfost

·
Registered
254 Posts
ill be up there some.....banzaimf any good shops in Seatlle

·
Registered
9,525 Posts
Re: (ashumo)

depends on what you are looking for, parts wise, I would recommend Achtuning and Evolution. If you are going farther north, Marcel was pretty amenable to me swinging by HPA for a chat as well.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts

Just a thought...esp. for Left Coasters. If you've ever given thought to a Canadian road trip...consider a trip North out of Vancouver on 99 to Whistler. The off-season (now) is highly recommended. Two lanes of twists (complete with views) with the occasional passing lane to accommodate lesser vehicles. Never a Mountie in sight. If you make it to Whistler...consider a day trip to Pemberton; just 25 miles North. Makes you remember why you held out for your R32 in the first place.

I recall fondly last snow season a trip from Vernon back to Whistler 'the back way' via Lillooet and Pemberton.
Particularly taking turns pissing on the brakes of the rental halfway up an emergency stopping incline trying to cool the bastards down.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts

i wuz out at Ft. Lewis for 3 years and had heard bout Whistler, never got the chance to make the trip!!!

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Re: Road Trip: Whistler (plastic)

Quote, originally posted by plastic »

I recall fondly last snow season a trip from Vernon back to Whistler 'the back way' via Lillooet and Pemberton.
Particularly taking turns pissing on the brakes of the rental halfway up an emergency stopping incline trying to cool the bastards down.

Wow plastic small world. I grew up in Vernon went to school there and then moved to Whistler to live and work just after high school. We used to take the Duffy Lake Road all the time to visit my parents in Vernon at their house on Okanogan lake and their weekender up at Silver Star. Back then in the 80's Duffy Lake Road was all dirt from Pemberton and if it got an avalanche it would stay closed till the spring thaw. It was a fantastic road for rallying on though. I hear they've paved it now since I migrated to Australia in 88.
Cheers Al

1 - 13 of 13 Posts