VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
15,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm starting this thread early. Photos will come.

The route looks something like this:

Timing looks something like this:
Leave tonight, Friday, at around 3.
Get to Lake Almanor around 7.
Leave Lake Almanor around 10am
Get to Everett around 7pm
Pick up New to me Car sunday at 9:30am
Drop off Rental Car around 11am
Drive around Olympic with some stops to do short walks/hikes.
Find somewhere to sleep Sunday night somewhere on the way back around 9pm
Return rest of way around 9am on Monday.

There are a LOT of things not known on the Sunday drive and still being hashed out.

Will keep posting through the drive

·
Premium Member
6,447 Posts
Can we at least know what you're going to get or is that a surprise?

Also, for a moment there I thought to myself, "geez, CA and WA are much further apart than I thought," then realized 2K miles was round trip. Looks like a great drive, hope you're picking up something fun.

·
Registered
15,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can we at least know what you're going to get or is that a surprise?

Also, for a moment there I thought to myself, "geez, CA and WA are much further apart than I thought," then realized 2K miles was round trip. Looks like a great drive, hope you're picking up something fun.
2005 LX470 w/ 160k miles on it.
Super clean and well cared for @ a decent price

·
Registered
6,180 Posts
It'll be interesting to see what you can find in the Olympic Peninsula that's open right now. If you can stay at the Lake Quinault Lodge, you won't regret it. :thumbup:

Otherwise, the I-5 portions of the drive are pretty bland and you'll just eat up the miles. Watch for speed traps around Salem, OR, and Chehalis, WA. Or just keep Maps/Waze/whatever running to alert you of speed traps.

·
Registered
2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
22,900 Posts
Around about there. Didn't want to give exact address in the photo, but yea in Marin.
Cool. I grew up south of San Rafael on the water and my parents are still there so yeah know it very well. Don't know if you have time but you may want to consider Highway 101 along the Oregon coast, I'm planning on doing that drive later this year because it looks incredible.

·
Registered
10,234 Posts
I've done this same drive twice now. First time was trading my Viggen for my friends Cobra. 2nd time was on Top Gear style multi $1000 car road trip with friends (took us literally 24 hours from Bay area to Kirkland, semi nightmare haha).

Good call on leaving from Redding area in the morning. You'll have a much more enjoyable drive through Oregon and Washington during the day. I don't have any specific recommendations on places to stop and eat as there's so many in the area.

If you feel like seeing some car content the Seattle Ferrari dealer is pretty cool and there is unique downstairs vault but not sure how open to visitors they are.

·
Registered
21,705 Posts
In.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
You should stop and wander around for a bit in Ashland if you haven't been there before. It's a super cute little city with a very pretty downtown and a really nice park right there.

·
Registered
12,999 Posts
There are a LOT of things not known on the Sunday drive and still being hashed out.
You can take the ferry across the sound from Seattle or points north if you want. Kind of worth it, unless you're determined to drive the Tacoma Narrows bridge. https://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/

Dude... Why not use Highway 1?
The coastal road becomes US101 as it goes around the lost coast. It takes many hours longer to get up and down that way. A lot of that loop around the Olympic peninsula is on US101 though.

Edit: I still would second this recommendation for the return leg of the trip if time allowed.

·
Banned
1,122 Posts
You can take the ferry across the sound from Seattle or points north if you want. Kind of worth it, unless you're determined to drive the Tacoma Narrows bridge. https://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/

The coastal road becomes US101 as it goes around the lost coast. It takes many hours longer to get up and down that way. A lot of that loop around the Olympic peninsula is on US101 though.

Edit: I still would second this recommendation for the return leg of the trip if time allowed.
Time doesn't matter. The selected route is boring AF. It's just interstate.

Coastal route is the most beautiful road in the US. I don't know what's there to think about.

If time is of the essence, then just fly. Why bother driving stupid interstates.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts