VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright here is the situation. I just installed new Rockford Fanatic X components in the front of my jetta. Nothing special, but I got them pretty cheap. So I decided to power them with an external amp, since everyone told me that they would sound way better. Well, I hooked them up to a Punch 100 which is rated at 25 watts RMS x 2. They sound great at low to medium volumes, but when I turn it up they sound like crap. I have the gains turned all the way down. I double checked my wiring to make sure that all the polarities are correct and the connections are tight. I have Rockford fanatic P's is the back, and they sound much, much better, and they are only being powered by the headunit. What's going on????

[Modified by DaveFX2, 4:30 PM 4-10-2002]

·
Registered
13,387 Posts
Re: Rockford Component Distortion (DaveFX2)

Sounds like your gains are incorrectly set. See what is happening is probably when you turn your deck up and the deck starts to distort it is sending that distortion to the amp and the amp just amplifies the distortion. My rule of thumb (seeing I don't know what your line level out put is) to turn the gains half way up. Now I have no Idea as to what the power rating is on those rockford componentsso it might be you are under poweringthem somewhat, but they still should shound good with 25 W going to each set.
P.S. remember gains are not volume controls, they control how much the signal going in get amplified.

[Modified by Non_Affiliated, 9:50 AM 4-10-2002]

·
Registered
109 Posts

dave... check your amps max input signal. i had a pioneer premeir deck that had 4volt pre-outs that drove too much signal to my amps. at high volumes my components would distort and that is with the gains all the way down on the deck and amp.

·
Registered
13,387 Posts
Re: Rockford Component Distortion (TrueRedTDI)

I run my PPI X-over and it has a 8 Volt output and I run my PPIA600 with the gain half way up, and I don't have any real distortion problems. And seeing it is a Punch 100 amp it is of a newer generation. Now if he said he had a Punch 45, 90, or 150. I would think maybe, just maybe the input level would be to high for the amp to handle.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Rockford Component Distortion (Non_Affiliated)

It's a rockford HU, so it is probably alright to use with that amp. I didn't have time yesterday to play with the gains, but I will try to do it today.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Well, I figured it out. I am a freaking idiot. I had the gains turned all the way up, when I thought they were all the way down! Oh well. I properly adjusted them, and now it sounds freaking awesome. Not quite loud enough though, I think I may need a bigger amp!!

·
Registered
13,387 Posts

Good to hear, that darn gain some times gets confusing. Your probably right about needed a bigger amp, but I bet it sound 10 times better. Those will probably scream with 75 to 100 watts going to each set.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Rockford claims that they take 70 RMS. I am looking into finding a nice 5 channel amp and new HU (eclipse). I really like my rockford HU, you just can't see the display durring the daytime.

·
Registered
13,387 Posts

Then I would suggest putting 75 Watts to each set. You could do 100 Watts but you have to play the tweak game, and also run the chance of frying them. So I would go with a good # channel amp like a Xtant X603 whickh is 75 x 2 + 150 x 1 @ 4 ohms, 150 X 2 +300 x 1. Good solid amp.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Alright, so the story continues. Anyway, after work today I figured why not try connecting my rockford fanatic p components to the amp as well. I only have a two channel amp, so I not longer have any fade control, which sort of suck, but dosen't really matter. Anyway, I wired them in parallel resulting in a two ohm load on each channel. My amp puts out 50 watts RMS @ 2 ohms, x 2. So this is all well and good. ANYWAY, what a giant difference. I can run the stereo at full volume all the time!! The sound is really clean. Good stuff. So.....here are my plans for the future, let me know what you think. Get a Rockford 400.4 to power the two component sets. That would put out 50 watts RMS x 4, which would be perfect. I would also like to add a single 12" Alpine sub, powered by a Rockford 250.2, which would give me like 3XX watts RMS @ 2 ohms. I figure that would finish up my audio install nicely.

·
Registered
13,387 Posts

Ok here is where I drop off the brand wagon. I have been kind in that little narrow minded though process. But I think you have a good grasp of what is going on. But I will Highly advi9se giving those components 70-75 Watts of power. Thats what they will want. To give you an Idea I used to Run a set of older MB Quart 3-way seperates, that were rated 120W, and I was running My PPIA600, which was 150W X 2 @ 4 Ohms. Oh man, let me tell ya they screamed.
Let me tall ya, Your amps ar gonna be roughly a chunk of change, but paying the extra dollar for a good amp, in the long run will save you. Save you money. This is only what I would do. I would save for the extra cash and get a xtant X603. That would run 75 W X 2 +150 X 1 @ 4Ohms, and 150 W X 2 + 300 W X 1 @ 2 ohms. But that is what I would do, i would rather have the extra power there for flexability. If You were to get another set of componets, you could just parallel up the extra set and feed 2 sets of components with 75 W to each set. And I f I didn't think I had enough bass, I couls add another sub and double the sub channel and have 300 W going to 2 subs. Always leave room for up-gradeing. Everyone says they will be fine with what they go, a year down the road they get the bug and want more.

[Modified by Non_Affiliated, 7:52 PM 4-12-2002]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.