VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off thanks to all who suggested the overboost kit. I had serious issues with part throttle boost from h-e-l-l it would under part throttle jump to 16psi then slam (and I mean slam) down to 2psi and stay there. It sucked.
The kit took care of that, now under partial throttle and al load (say going up hill ) and low RPMS the boost stays where I request it. ITs awesome.
Quick question though, before I was running just a MBC. In WOT I would hit 19 psi and stay there (of course going down as approaching redline).
Now, even though the car is so much nicer as far as drivability goes, I see a spike to 18 psi then I settle at 16 psi. I have the heavy spring in and the MBC cranked all the way down, even with the adjustments nothing changed.
My question is, is my stock N75 limiting here? My guess is its the 'weak link' in the chain and the kit can't request more than the n75. Would getting say a 'J' valve solve this and allow me to request more boost?

·
Registered
5,537 Posts
Re: rockin the overboost kit - big grins but... (Croikee)

see i have been wanting to put one of these in i have an aww with the ecs n 75 (which valve is that i can never remember), anyways i have wanted to try it out.
is it really that worth it?

·
Registered
2,163 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Croikee »
My question is, is my stock N75 limiting here?

Yes. When running the overboost kit paralell to the N75 it is only eliminating boost spikes that may possibly put you into limp mode. It cannot control the boost when installed in the "overboost" mode as at any point the N75 can be opened by the ECU.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts

You have two options, you can run the MBC in place of your N75 and get more boost but this might set a CEL off, or you can replace your N75 with say a "J" or "H" valve and retune your MBC accordingly running it as suggested in the instructions for the Overboost kit.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: rockin the overboost kit - big grins but... (KGilman)

thanks for the response guys I'll get a 'J' valve as that is what it seems to recommend on the site. As for is the kit worth it? For me it definatly was. Drivability on my car was crap poor and now it drives great. So thumbs up to the kit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts