VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
Lotus Exige, Abarth 124 Spider, Fiat 500e
22,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Possibly the most important man in the entire Group Lotus organization. I've never met him, but from everything I've heard he IS Lotus.

Quote, originally posted by Lotus Enthusiast »
Lotus Press Release
Roger Becker Lotus’ Director of Vehicle Engineering is retiring from Group Lotus after a long career of 44 years.
Roger, 64, joined Lotus in 1966, working on the Elan assembly line at Cheshunt, but his natural driving and engineering skills came to the attention of Lotus founder Colin Chapman and Roger was quickly moved to the vehicle development team where he worked directly with Mike Kimberley (former Lotus CEO) on the Lotus Europa Twin Cam – his first Lotus car development project.
During his career at Lotus, Roger has been responsible for the development of every Lotus car, including the legendary Esprit, Excel, Elan, Elise, Exige and the new critically acclaimed Lotus Evora. Roger has helped to maintain the philosophies laid down by Colin Chapman and has ensured that the essence and purity of Lotus is instilled in all new Lotus cars. He also has imparted his chassis engineering knowledge and development skills to many of the world’s major automotive manufacturers in support of Lotus’ consultancy engineering business.
On his retirement, Roger Becker said, “I have had a dream career at Lotus, with the honour of not only working directly for Colin Chapman but also working with some of the finest people in the motor industry. With the Lotus Evora successfully entering the market with unprecedented global adulation, and at 64 years of age, I feel now is the natural time to retire. The Evora has given me my finest hour at Lotus and I leave knowing it will be the foundation of all our next generation cars. The product engineering team will build on this to develop many more award-winning products and I wish them every success for what promises to be a very exciting future for Lotus cars and the Lotus brand.”
Dany Bahar, CEO of Group Lotus plc said, “On behalf of all the staff at Lotus, I would like to thank Roger for his contribution to Lotus over 44 years and we wish him well in his retirement. However, I know that he will not go far, as I am looking forward to him taking on a consultancy role for Lotus in the near future.”

·
Registered
E46 330ci coupe
11,604 Posts
Re: Roger Becker retires from Lotus!!! (Wimbledon)

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif to him for leaving before he started trying too hard. I love the Evora and am so excited for Lotus keep coming out with newer models. He seems happy with his impact on the automotive world, as he should be.

·
Premium Member
22,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Roger Becker retires from Lotus!!! (Wimbledon)

From Autocar :

Quote, originally posted by Autocar »
Lotus's quiet master
One person’s retirement from a car company can rarely be described as the end of an era, but it is hard to think how else to describe Roger Becker’s departure from Lotus.
All the great sports car companies have their great test drivers and the only reason Roger’s name is perhaps not quite so well known as Ferrari’s Dario Benuzzi or Lamborghini’s Valentino Balboni is that Roger is a considered kind of chap who’d always rather let his product do the talking.

He started on the shop floor in 1966 when barely out of his teens, but moved swiftly to the vehicle development team where he stayed for over 40 years. All Lotuses from the Europa Twin Cam forward – that’s Elite, Eclat, Excel, Elan, Elise, Exige and Evora – are his cars.
Probably more than anyone else, it is Roger who is responsible for preserving Lotus’ unrivalled reputation for handling genius over the last four decades.
Roger is now 64, but as you will see if you go onto YouTube and watch him drifting the Evora around Hethel he has lost none of his touch. It’s worth bearing in mind too that last year the Evora won our annual handling contest by an unprecedented margin.
But the best Becker story concerns his impromptu participation in 007’s ‘The Spy Who Loved Me.’ Back in 1976 Roger had delivered an Esprit to Sardinia to take part in the now legendary car chase, which the official stunt driver then entirely failed to master.
After one useless run the by now rather irate director summoned the car and because no one else was around to deliver it, Roger drove it up the hill to him at considerable speed and highly unorthodox angles. He was to drive it for the next seven weeks of shooting.
That is why when you see the chase, which has been voted the best of all time, the Roger behind the wheel is Becker, not Moore and certainly not any trained stuntman.
So enjoy your retirement Roger, but please don’t slow down. The only good news in all of this is that Roger’s son Matt is now Lotus’ chief vehicle dynamics engineer and a chip off the old block if ever there were one.

·
Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg
22,147 Posts
Re: FV-QR (Wimbledon)

Quote, originally posted by Wimbledon »
At the wheel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBxxVfrki8c

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
The presenters darting eyes say it all the whole time.

·
Registered
8,902 Posts
Re: FV-QR (Phunkshon)

Quote, originally posted by Phunkshon »
What about the Lotus Seven?

well you popped his balloon

funny video clip. roger is all calm and composed talking and hanging the evora out around turns while the interviewer looks really nervous

indeed end of an era

·
Premium Member
22,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: FV-QR (stacman)

Quote, originally posted by stacman »
I'm not curious to see what will happen to lotus...

With essentially every department head at Lotus over the past few months being replaced by one of Dany Bahar's buddies from Ferrari, some Ferrari DNA should be expected. Whether it's for the better or worse, no one can be sure yet. Although I'm not sure how you surpass MJK and Becker's mastery with the Evora...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.