VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all know Rogers sucks. Their @ home service is not what they advertise and just try and get tech support ..."uhh it must be your computer, everything is fine here...." Who's a rogers customer and has never heard that line.
Well here's some pay-back and rogers has to take up the poop shute .

http://www.cbc.ca/consumers/market/files/shorts/hero_oct24.html
Air Date: October 24, 2001
Producer: Carmel Smyth
An Ontario single mother has sent a powerful message to a corporate giant. Bev Reade was so fed up with the high speed internet service she was getting MARKETPLACE EXTRAS
• Have your say: e-mail us your thoughts
• "Rogers ranters"
• Rogers responds
• Links
• Watch this item

from [email protected], she sued the company. She also happens to be a small court deputy judge, and says consumers deserve better treatment.
Marketplace caught up with Judge Bev at her home on Pelee Island in southwestern Ontario.
Join our High Speed service discussion forum!
Reade signed up for [email protected] service because she need high speed access for business. She wanted it for her kids for their school work.
"I did get fast service, sometimes," Reade told Marketplace, "but I got no service sometimes and no help from their 24/7 technical support line. The service was so bad that I called, sent e-mails and and complained constantly to Rogers."
Reade said she was annoyed at trying to get online only
Bev Reade, Consumer Hero

to find that the service was not available. The constant service disruptions meant she could not respond to important e-mails. When she managed to get in touch with a customer service representative, she says, they'd have her crawling around under her desk looking for wires that might be disconnected.
"They tried to claim my new...computer was responsible," Reade said. "It was all nonsense. The reason I was having difficulty was they had signed up so many customers that they couldn't control the volume. That's my opinion."
Playing hardball
Reade refused to pay her bill. She says she was a promised a credit for the time the service was not available. The credit never came. Instead Rogers used a collection agency to try to recoup the money Reade had withheld. Reade cancelled her Rogers cable television service after the company threatened to cut her off.
Reade decided to sue after the collection agency QUICK FACTS
• Rogers introduced its high speed service in 1995
• More than 400,000 people have signed up for [email protected] service - most signed on since January 2000
• Five people have launched a $75 million dollar class action suit against Rogers citing poor service

threatened that she would never be able to get a credit card or mortgage ever again unless I paid her Rogers' bill. Reade demanded compensation for inconvenience and for breach of contract. She asked for $800 and a further $5000 in punitive damages for what she called the company's contemptuous, reprehensible behavior.
Reade is a lawyer. She's also been an assistant deputy small claims court judge in London, Ontario for ten years.
Rogers argued that the contract Reade signed did not guarantee uninterrupted service or 24 hour a day, seven day a week technical support, as advertised.
Rogers and Reade settled out of court. She received letters of apology from Rogers - and she agreed not to talk about the settlement.
Reade adds, "The bottom line is, if you are getting pushed around by a big corporation stand up for yourself, don't take it."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
7,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Rogers takes it up the butt for a change (Lexi)

Oh yes, I forgot about the class action lawsuit . This lawyer may be an ambulance chaser but when it comes to sticking it to rogers I'm all for it. CLick on the link to sign up for the $75 MILLION lawsuit.
http://www.stevensonlaw.net/

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
Re: Rogers takes it up the butt for a change (Lexi)

What is this crap??? Why would you post something like this? I may be totally out of it, but this doesn't seem to be something worth talking about. Kinda like the person who sued tim hortons(or Mcds?) for the coffee that was too hot.
I work in customer service not too unlike Rogers(Bell Mobility), and in my opinion, the customers should have searched for service elsewhere instead of repeatidly getting screw 'd over.
I am sorry, but I deal with really horrible customers everyday that come to me with problems like this one with either their cells/internet, and half the time their problem could have been avoided by them stopping service with us, or simply understanding the nature of the business.
I just really needed to vent

·
Registered
896 Posts
Re: Rogers takes it up the butt for a change (dblab)

quote:[HR][/HR]What is this crap??? Why would you post something like this? I may be totally out of it, but this doesn't seem to be something worth talking about. Kinda like the person who sued tim hortons(or Mcds?) for the coffee that was too hot.
I work in customer service not too unlike Rogers(Bell Mobility), and in my opinion, the customers should have searched for service elsewhere instead of repeatidly getting screw 'd over.
I am sorry, but I deal with really horrible customers everyday that come to me with problems like this one with either their cells/internet, and half the time their problem could have been avoided by them stopping service with us, or simply understanding the nature of the business.
I just really needed to vent
[HR][/HR]​
Are you an idiot?
"...half the time their problem could have been avoided by them stopping service with us..."
That is exactly the attitude that causes companies to lose business. Actually it's exactly the reason that I cancelled my "service" with General Motors and bought a VW instead.
You abviously don't understand the nature of the business; it is a service business, if people take their business elsewhere you no longer have a business.

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
Re: Rogers takes it up the butt for a change (2 F1 Fans)

This is just my opinion. If you don't like what I said then thats cool. Obviously there has to be some venting on the other side of the spectrum....like the customer service reps.
It seems as though you've got your Master's in Business and have taught me a valuable lesson about customer service! I really appreciate it

I have rogers, and am content with the service, not extatic, nor unsatisfied. But what you must understand is that there are people like me who work in customer service related positions part time during the school year, and who get ripped apart by customers. Yes this is our job, but we need to vent sometimes. So if you are going to try and treat me like you know what's best in this situation, then go right ahead...all I want to say is that the market for internet is highly competitive...go somewhere else if you are not satisfied with your current set-up. I personally won't lose any money, and I really could care less if my company did, because I know there will always be a market for us because we are a part of and Ologopolistic market. This means that we will always have customers b/c there are only a limited number of service providers.

·
Registered
896 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]...I personally won't lose any money, and I really could care less if my company did...
...we will always have customers b/c there are only a limited number of service providers.[HR][/HR]​
If your attitude is the norm at Rogers then it's no wonder that they aren't doing very well.
There may be a limited number of service providers, but there are also a limited number of customers.
My degree is in engineering, not business. It's just common sense that you treat your customers well, particularly in a highly competitive business. Have you ever heard the expression "The customer is always right...even when they're wrong"?
For reference, this case is nothing like the person suing Tim Hortons (I thought it was McDonalds, but I could be wrong). I'm not a lawyer, but I think that in this case it would fall under fundamental breach of contract since the contract was specifically to provide internet service and Rogers was unable to do so. In that case the Limited Warranty and Limitation of Liability statements in the Rogers contract might not apply. I'm not sure what the precedent is in the area of service contracts. I would assume that since the person persuing the claim against Rogers is judge that she would have a reasonable expertise in this area.
In the case of a hot cup of coffee it is understood that the coffee should be hot, so there was no breach of contract (particularly since there was no contract). That might fall under tort law, however, as it could be argued that a duty of care was owed to the customer that was not met. In that case no contract is required between the two parties for damages to be awarded.

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
Re: Rogers takes it up the butt for a change (2 F1 Fans)

Whoa, that is quite the explanation!!
When i was referring to the tim hortons/Mcd's coffee thing, I was meaning that it was "yesterday's news", a topic that dies quick.
BTW, was it the word Ologopolistic that set you off on your journey into the facets of CDN law?

·
Registered
896 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Whoa, that is quite the explanation!!
When i was referring to the tim hortons/Mcd's coffee thing, I was meaning that it was "yesterday's news", a topic that dies quick.
BTW, was it the word Ologopolistic that set you off on your journey into the facets of CDN law?
[HR][/HR]​
No it was not "ologopolistic" that prompted me, particularly since you defined it in your post. I am curious as to how you think that is the case though. Internet service is non essential so the power is with the consumer not the provider.
I just get really pissed off with poor customer service, and frankly I do take my business elsewhere in that case. See my previous post, I sold my two year old Grand Am (which was a great car by the way) because of poor customer service from GM.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts

you know, when you find yourself moving at 0.05 k/sec during the day trying to surf, then you may know what most of us are going through. most of the time i can't even send IM messages properly. however, once peak time blows over, the connection speeds up to like 70 k/sec + .
you know, you're just a customer service b*tch that got MY WHEELS AND TIRES for dirt cheap. damn you.
j/k.

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
Re: Rogers takes it up the butt for a change (Atlantonius the IInd)

hahaha

Eat It!!!
BTW, you are coming out tomorrow night right??? Did you wire your speakers yet? How did it turn out?
I am just trying to play the devils advocate here...I can see how everyone is pissed, hell, i have the same service. All I am saying is go somewhere else if you are not happy with what you are currently getting.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts