VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

· Registered
7,248 Posts
Re: (Michael Blue)

toi the original poster: You should look around at some Rally sites, I printed out a PDF like a million pages long all about rules and stuff for everything rally in the events that I will be driving in in the next year or two, anyway.. there was a pretty in depth section all about cage design and rquirements, to have an optimal cage that will be safe.
Please keep in mind that a typical roll cage in a street car is dangerous, in the case of a roll over you'll be bangin your head off of every bar in there! Maybe if you did a main hoop with a couple of angle bars and a harness bar, of course run 5 pt harnesses with a racing type seat... but I wouldn't suggest doing a halo hoop or front hoop unless it's a track car.

· Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: (OptimusGlen)

hi,the car is goin to be track(the events that I will be driving will not be official,just for fun)and every day car .I can't buy a roll cage becouse the shiping to my country will cost a fortune.The car will be with racing type seats and harnesses.

· Registered
1,324 Posts
Re: (OptimusGlen)

Take a look here for a little information
http://e30m3performance.com/te...m.htm
Couple of points - Use mild steel - Anything else and you could have problems unless you are familiar with working with other types of metal.
With my VW in my sport they require 1/4" thick support pads 4x5" in size on top and bottom of floor, qty 2, grade 5 bolts 3/8 minimum diameter 180 degrees appart holding the support pads together in conjunction with the welds. 1 1/2" .095" wall thickness tubing - for cars upto 175mph. They also gusset all the corners.
Buy really good padding for the cage anywhere near your head!!!!!!!!!!!!! ---- Make sure it can't move!!!!!. One small accident without a helmet and you might not walk away or worse walk again.

· Registered
2,560 Posts
Re: (dean_gt)

1) Do NOT put harnesses in a car without a roll bar/cage.
[Why?]
2) Do NOT put a bar/cage in a car without padding.
3) Do NOT put in a bar/cage with bars forward of the seats unless
[and again.. why?..]
you're NEVER going to rive without a helmet.
??

Yeah, I'm Ranger Rick today...Lol!

· Registered
22,292 Posts
Re: (Michael Blue)

Quote, originally posted by Michael Blue »
I may be alone on this one, but when it's time for mine, it will ONLY be from a well-known shop and SCCA legal.
Suggestions?

S&W, they are avaliable in many materials...

· Registered
1,417 Posts
Re: (ensone)

Quote, originally posted by ensone »
[Why?]
[and again.. why?..]
??

I can answer #1 for you.
Because harnesses are actualy used for safety, not looking cool. If you are one that thinks attaching a shoulder harness to the rear seatbelt location is a good idea then you need to search on spine compression. I know there are some harness manufactuers that show diagrams of our cars and show the rear belt location as there mounting point, I believe they are wrong and would hate to find out the hard way. Bolt in / weld in bars to mount shoulder harnesses may get the proper geometry but I doubt most are engineered to actually take a impact. Stick to oem harnesses unless you have a well thought out cage. Just my thoughts, if you don't feel like walking again go ahead and "rig" up your harnesses however you want.
As far as any help for this guy in making his cage....
Use cardboard cutouts anywhere the cage gets tricky. This will help you get your bends right. Even if you are not racing in a sancioned body try to follow there guidelines if you want to end up with a good cage.

· Registered
246 Posts
Re: (ensone)

Had to throw in my thoughts here...

Quote, originally posted by ensone »
[Why?]
[and again.. why?..]
??

1. If you are wearing a harness and have no roll bar, imagine what happens if you flip the car and the roof collapses...squish goes your head/neck because you wont be able to move out of the way.
3. If a bar is anywhere near where your head may go in an accident, your head will probably contact the bar with the force you were moving at. In my experience my head has hit the roof/A pillar just going over big bumps or running an autoX. Having a metal bar there with no helmet could result in the equivalent of have someone hit you in the head with a metal pipe.

Harnesses and Roll bars should be installed together. After all, the point of having them is safety/control, so what would be the point in compromising that?
Now if only I could make my stubborn VW buddy understand this and take out his harnesses or add a roll bar
BK

· Registered
63 Posts
Re: roll cage (crazydubman)

Quote, originally posted by crazydubman »

Quote, originally posted by dean_gt »
It will be my first time so I dont want make mistakes.

yikes

+1
Be sure that this isn't your first ... or even 50th... welding project.
You don't need dimensions. Just build it to fit the car. Make sure that you have a good grasp on the rules that you'll be following. Don't try to get too trick and do something for the "wow" factor. Make sure that your pads are multi angled and extend up or down verticals ... prefereably the rockers

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.