VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure you've all heard already (and I can't believe no one is talking about this here) that Ron Maclean and the CBC couldn't come to terms on a new contract so Ron is gone...from HNIC and Coach's Corner

Personally, I think that Ron is a great interviewer and really kept Cherry on his toes. The two of them are what made Coach's Corner such a riot to watch every Saturday. A tradition is dead. I guess we'll see who they have to replace him.
Here is a link to some comments from Toronto Star readers:
http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Co...l_pageid=968332188492&call_pagepath=News/News

·
Banned
14,183 Posts
Re: Ron Maclean and HNIC are no longer... (Red Baron Golf)

quote:[HR][/HR]Ron Maclean and the CBC couldn't come to terms on a new contract so Ron is gone from HNIC and Coach's Corner[HR][/HR]​
......and so he's selling his VW?
I'm not sure how this relates to the Vortex.

If I posted this it would be locked in a second for being off-topic. But I'm not a moderator so I guess it's different.

No seriously, I'm going to miss the guy too.
However, it's hard to feel sorry for someone because he didn't get his $200,000 raise and would have made only $400,000 a year.
I have a little more sympathy for my friends who are out of work right now. or recently laid off.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Re: Ron Maclean and HNIC are no longer... (hawc)

I still find it hard to beleive that the guy made $400,000 a year doing what he did. Jesus, and he wants a 50% raise? God, sports' people these days are so greedy; how much does a brain surgeon make a year?
Good, let him go, if money is all he cares about then he truly wasn't a "hockey guy," to begin with.
-Justin

·
Premium Member
18,143 Posts
Re: Ron Maclean and HNIC are no longer... (stabb3d)

he'll be back....honestly...who are the going to replace him with?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Re: Ron Maclean and HNIC are no longer... (The Red Baron)

WTF!?! My sis mentioned this to me the other day, and I didn't believe her...now I can't believe the CBC! dum! dum! dum!
As much as Cherry is an oddball, I still wait until after Coach's Corner, to grab some grub b/w periods...
The playoffs, and hockey coverage from the minors to the big leagues will never be the same...Ron's shinny knowledge astounds me...
...Still, though, I wish I was cashing in on some green like that

·
Registered
8,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

quote:[HR][/HR]......and so he's selling his VW?
I'm not sure how this relates to the Vortex.

If I posted this it would be locked in a second for being off-topic. But I'm not a moderator so I guess it's different.
[HR][/HR]​
Actually, in case you haven't noticed, we DO allow quite a bit of off-topic content in here. Since this wasn't being discussed in the Sports area, I figured this would be of interest to all / most of us Canucks.

Anyways, I for one will find it much harder to watch CC and HNIC because without Maclean, I think Cherry will run roughshod over the other host.
I agree though, for what he does, the amount of cash he'd be bringing in, isn't $500k enough???

·
Registered
4,021 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]I still find it hard to beleive that the guy made $400,000 a year doing what he did. Jesus, and he wants a 50% raise? God, sports' people these days are so greedy; how much does a brain surgeon make a year?[HR][/HR]​
he makes CBC money so therfore he should be entitled to a part of that money. think about how much CBC charges for commericals to be aired before and after coaches corner.
quote:[HR][/HR]Good, let him go, if money is all he cares about then he truly wasn't a "hockey guy," to begin with.[HR][/HR]​
what, should he do it for free? ...come on ...so when you get a job somewhere that you enjoy working are you going to turn down a raise because you enjoy your work...please...and if you are making the company lots of money arent you going to ask for a raise?

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Re: Ron Maclean and HNIC are no longer... (ST33LR4T)

quote:[HR][/HR]I still find it hard to beleive that the guy made $400,000 a year doing what he did. Jesus, and he wants a 50% raise? God, sports' people these days are so greedy; how much does a brain surgeon make a year?
he makes CBC money so therfore he should be entitled to a part of that money. think about how much CBC charges for commericals to be aired before and after coaches corner.
Good, let him go, if money is all he cares about then he truly wasn't a "hockey guy," to begin with.
what, should he do it for free? ...come on ...so when you get a job somewhere that you enjoy working are you going to turn down a raise because you enjoy your work...please...and if you are making the company lots of money arent you going to ask for a raise?
[HR][/HR]​
50% raise? come on! Jeez, go ask your boss for a 50% raise and see what he/she says. All I'm saying is he shouldn't leave because he didn't get the exact figure he wanted, whats wrong with 10% raise or 15% raise? I dunno, seems greedy to me.
-Justin

·
Registered
2,615 Posts

One of the best tandems in all of sports announcing, I think anyways, 'tis a shame!

·
Banned
14,183 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Jeez, go ask your boss for a 50% raise and see what he/she says. [HR][/HR]​
Actually I got a 50% raise last year, but I agree with what you're trying to get at.

·
Registered
4,021 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]50% raise? come on! Jeez, go ask your boss for a 50% raise and see what he/she says. All I'm saying is he shouldn't leave because he didn't get the exact figure he wanted, whats wrong with 10% raise or 15% raise? I dunno, seems greedy to me.[HR][/HR]​
i didnt know you were involved in the contract negotiations.
besides don makes $700,000 a year...and ron makes $400,000 for doing alot more...so would you be happy making almost 50% less then your co-worker while your co-worker does alot less then you?

[Modified by ST33LR4T, 3:03 PM 10-1-2002]

·
Banned
14,183 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Besides don makes $700,000 a year...and ron makes $400,000 for doing alot more...so would you be happy making almost 50% less then your co-worker while your co-worker does alot less then you?[HR][/HR]​
Yeah but it all comes down to supply and demand. And they're are less Don Cherry types in this world (thank god) than Ron MacLean's types so Don makes more.
Simple economics my friends.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Re: Ron Maclean and HNIC are no longer... (je.)

The way I see it, HNIC will still exist. Will the fanbase exist for it remains to be seen. For CBC to not give Ron Maclean a raise only brings one question to mind? Is this another chapter to the demise of the CBC? I mean, they don't have much else but HNIC. Their comedy hour is slated to move to CTV (comedy network) in the next four years, and there's no more Kids In The Hall. So long CBC.

·
Banned
22,490 Posts
Re: Ron Maclean and HNIC are no longer... (vlad-e)

You have to remember this is the CBC a corp. that gets revenue from tax payers and selling Advertising slots (Pretty much double income) and yet they are always operating in the red. of course they are going to split up Don & Ron. why ? because of missmanagement.

·
Registered
340 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]50% raise? come on! Jeez, go ask your boss for a 50% raise and see what he/she says. All I'm saying is he shouldn't leave because he didn't get the exact figure he wanted, whats wrong with 10% raise or 15% raise? I dunno, seems greedy to me.
i didnt know you were involved in the contract negotiations.
besides don makes $700,000 a year...and ron makes $400,000 for doing alot more...so would you be happy making almost 50% less then your co-worker while your co-worker does alot less then you?

[Modified by ST33LR4T, 3:03 PM 10-1-2002][HR][/HR]​
It's worse when it comes to professional athletes. You could be the 4th line centreman making 1/10th of what the star centre does, and maybe you might even score more goals than him in a year.
Doesn't happen to such an extent in the real working world, but maybe that's why salaries are kept secret (unless you're in a union).

·
Registered
4,021 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]
Yeah but it all comes down to supply and demand. And they're are less Don Cherry types in this world (thank god) than Ron MacLean's types so Don makes more.
Simple economics my friends.
[HR][/HR]​
ya i guess your right...5 Gemini Awards as Canada's best sports broadcaster...he also did CBC's Olympic coverage, hosting in Salt Lake City last February, as well as at the Sydney Summer Games in 2000, Atlanta Summer Games in 1996, the Winter Games in Albertville in 1992 and the Seoul Olympics in 1988....can you please tell me one other broadcaster that has these credentials?...since you seem to think there are more rons out there then don's.
so now get out your economics book and figure out how much revenue ron and don generate by doing hnic...why are ron and don on during the intermission anyways?...oh thats right to keep you on that channel...and since CBC pays the NHL to telecast the game do you think they are doing this out of the goodness of their own heart?...i think not...they are making money...but how?...advertising...airtime is more expensive before coaches corner then during the hockey game...simple economics.

[Modified by ST33LR4T, 9:16 PM 10-1-2002]

·
Banned
4,560 Posts

I was also going to point out the discrepancy between Don and Ron's salaries.
Why shouldn't Ron want more? I mean he works pretty much year round for the CBC. He travels wherever they assign him. Wins awards.
All for just over half of what Cherry makes.
Cherry is on camera for ten minutes each broadcast, and he might do a couple hours work preparing for it. Basically he gets paid $700 000 a year to watch live hockey and shoot his mouth off. ( I like watching him, but I don't think there is any real skill involved in what he does).
I'd think I deserved a raise too. CBC set the bar when they gave Cherry $700 000, you can't blame Ron for Reaching higher.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Re: Ron Maclean and HNIC are no longer... (Bob Roberts)

hahaha
you all missed out on one fact.
Yes Cherry makes 700k a year.
Ron only makes 400k. (Both before taxes)
Cherry also coaches a minor hockey team, participates in tons of charity events and has a full line of personnal VHS tapes (god some of those are friggin funny)
Ron on the other hand does poop all except use knowledge, which would get him no where in any other job, and present it to us Canadians on average 15 times a week (depending if canadian teams are palyin each other or not).
But I still think that CBC should have given him a cool 500k because he is one of the best hockey broadcasters out there.
and if anyone saw sportsline when they were talking about it, they would have noticed the broadcasters reactions to the obscene amount of money they were both making.
HAHAHA one started additioning for the job!!!

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
Re: Ron Maclean and HNIC are no longer... (Strupo)

no doubt they make way to much cash...but hey im not the one who decided to pay them that...maybe CBC are making a stand...probably not...oh well its still gay thats hes not going to be on hnic.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.