VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I bought a ton of keyed-alike Thule lock cylinders becuase I read on here somewhere i now can't find that they woork with the factory VW racks. Cool... but how do I remove the original factory lock cylinders from the VW rack so I can put in the new ones? Thanks to anyone who can help!
-Stu

· Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Roof racks w/ Thule Lock Cylinder (aircooled)

Thanks. I kinda already tried it but only gave it a once-over and gave up quickly. If you remember anything specific about it, let me know because they're frustratingly simple (and yet unyielding at the same time!)
-stu

· Registered
53 Posts
I wish I'd kept better notes when I performed this change.

I wish I'd kept better notes when I performed this change. I too thought it would be a snap. And it was a bit of a puzzle. But rest assured that it is possible to change the VW rack lock cylinders with the Thule exchange cylinders. Don't bother looking for help at http://www.thule.com, since their advice was dissappointing.
I exchanged lock cylinders on not only the VW rack, but also my Thule roof-box and my Thule hitch-mount Bike Rack. Each change-out was a slightly different puzzle. The only tool I used besides the change-key and the original core's key, was a small flatblade screwdriver. In most cases you will not use the change-key. I used the screwdriver to gently push the exposed tumbler piece against its spring action in order to release the core once the correct key is chosen.
A little bit of patience and a lot of
helps. Just knowing that someone else has done it with a minimum of force and a lot of patience solving the puzzle will help. And if it doesn't help, then take a deep breath, and enjoy another
and try again.

Good Luck,
Craig

· Registered
10 Posts
Re: Roof racks w/ Thule Lock Cylinder (StuHaul)

Thule has a lock-core removal key which you insert into an unlocked cylinder, and then you pull the whole thing out with the key. Your Thule dealer should have one. I've got one and it works great.

· Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Roof racks w/ Thule Lock Cylinder (EcofuelsTDI)

I must be doign something wrong. the only key I have (besides the lock key itself) is a blank key that works for installing the new cylinder, but doesn't pull the old one out so well. am I doing somethign wrong? thanks!
-stu

· Registered
53 Posts
Re: Roof racks w/ Thule Lock Cylinder (StuHaul)

Stu,
See my advice above.
To the best of my recollection, you have to use the key that came with the rack to first unlock the rack and expose the back side of the core. Then using a small flatblade screwdriver, you will need to press gently against the tumbler that you can see on the back side since it is that tumbler that is retaining the core in the VW rack. And you may need to rotate the key to a certain position to line up the core with the channel in the lock that will allow the core to slide out. My memory is fuzzy on this last detail because I also changed cores on my Thule Roof Box at the same time, and the VW rack and the Box required slightly different procedures.
If you don't know what I mean by tumbler, just look at one of the new cores that you plan to use as a replacement. Each of the little flat metal pieces that slide back and forth under spring action are what I am calling tumblers. You will only need to manipulate the tumbler furthest from the key, using a screw-driver or even a firm toothpick.
When you succeed to get the core out of the VW rack, you'll be amazed at how simple it was. And while you are trying to get it out, if you are using anything more than a few ounces of force, then you are doing something wrong and it is time to take a deep breath, relax
, and re-read what I wrote.

· Registered
53 Posts
Re: Roof racks w/ Thule Lock Cylinder (EcofuelsTDI)

Quote, originally posted by EcofuelsTDI »
Thule has a lock-core removal key which you insert into an unlocked cylinder, and then you pull the whole thing out with the key. Your Thule dealer should have one. I've got one and it works great.

There is one big problem with this procedure. Both the VW rack for the Touareg and the Thule Roof Box don't allow the key to be removed from the lock when it is in the unlocked position. So the lock-core removal key can only be inserted when in the locked position which accomplishes nothing.
This is not to say that it is impossible to change the lock cores on the VW Touareg Rack or the Thule Roof Box. It just means that you'll need to study the situation closely and use some ingenuity to change the cores.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.