VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

· Registered
4,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Valentino Rossi has been told that he can test with Ferrari on a regular basis in order to gauge his Formula One potential, but that there is no pressure on him to make the switch from his highly-successful MotoGP career.
Speaking to Reuters at the Italian Grand Prix, Ferrari chairman Luca di Montezemolo explained that the Italian would only find himself in a race seat if he could prove that he had the pace and mentality to be a winner in F1, but that the opportunity was open to both sides to continue the relationship strengthened by a test at Fiorano last week.
Rossi, who lapped quickly on what was his second outing with the Scuderia, has been told that he will be allocated a separate test team so that he can run every four weeks or so at the team's private facility during 2006, with his performances monitored to see if he has what it takes to transfer his MotoGP skills to four-wheels.
The 26-year old has another year to run on his current Yamaha MotoGP contract, but di Montezemolo makes no secret of a potential switch.
"Valentino is not obliged to race in Formula One," he stressed, "But if he decides to, it is because he decides he is ready to win. He knows that he must do some tests, and a champion like him goes only into Formula One if he chooses to do so, if he feels he is going there to win. Neither he nor we have a pistol to our heads.
"He is a nice guy, he is very popular with Italians but we don't need popularity. We need a winning driver. If something comes of this, it will, above all, be his decision. If Ferrari and Rossi come together, it will be to win the world championship and not to put on a show that we do not need."

Rossi's MotoGP rivals will now hope that the Italian's newly announced F1 workload - plus likely input into Yamaha's 2007 800cc machine - will distract him during the 2006 MotoGP season, when 'The Doctor' will be fighting for what looks like being a sixth consecutive premier-class crown.

Modified by dj_wawa at 3:04 PM 9-7-2005

· Registered
5,039 Posts
Re: Rossi to test Ferrari regularly. (dj_wawa)

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
As cool as I think it is to have Rossi test out the Ferrari F1 cars every once in a while, Scuderia must really have loads of money to spend if they're going to let him have a completely seperate test team - and the ability to drive on a monthly basis. All with no guarantee he will actually improve enough and be willing to let go of his MotoGP dominance.

· Administrator Emeritus
19,628 Posts
Re: Rossi to test Ferrari regularly. (dj_wawa)

It will be interesting to see what happens here.
Skill with two wheels does NOT always translate well into skill with four.
There was a guy with the same name as me who raced bikes for BMW back in the 60's and 70's. He was one of the winningest sidecar racers ever. He also tried to go to racing cars, and ended up sucking at it. So he went back to bikes and won a bunch more.
I'm not saying that the same thing will happen to Rossi, but it will be interesting to watch.
-Tim

· Registered
2,402 Posts
Re: Rossi to test Ferrari regularly. (SilverSLC)

Quote, originally posted by SilverSLC »
It will be interesting to see what happens here.
There was a guy with the same name as me who raced bikes for BMW back in the 60's and 70's. He was one of the winningest sidecar racers ever. He also tried to go to racing cars, and ended up sucking at it. So he went back to bikes and won a bunch more.
I'm not saying that the same thing will happen to Rossi, but it will be interesting to watch.
-Tim

Perhaps your guy didn't have a good team/car. B/c normally a good bike rider makes an excellent car driver. The physics of the two are practically the same, but a bike has almost zero error margin, and requires a lot more skill and knowledge from the rider. If you can control a motorbike on the limit, you can centrainly do it with a car.
Rossi is also a very technical driver, aside from having freakishly quick reaction times. I'm sure he has already eductated himself on the particular dynamics of a four wheeled vehicle.

· Registered
174 Posts
Re: Rossi to test Ferrari regularly. (AuForm)

Quote, originally posted by AuForm »
B/c normally a good bike rider makes an excellent car driver. The physics of the two are practically the same...[snip]. If you can control a motorbike on the limit, you can centrainly do it with a car.

This could not be more wrong. The physics are completely different, not the least reason being that one vehicle leans into a turn, the other leans out. I agree that Rossi's racecraft will be a great benefit for driving a car. However, I've done both, and they are not even remotely related as far as the skills required to be fast. Again, I'm not talking the racecraft portion - setting up the other guy for a pass, conserving your machine, etc. I'm talking the mechanics and skills of making each vehicle go fast. Knowing how to set up a bike suspension has zero bearing on how to set up a car, and vice versa.
That said, it will be interesting to see how Vale does.

· Registered
8,243 Posts
Re: (CFster)

Quote, originally posted by CFster »

The same way Raikkonen did.

I'm not familiar with that... How did Kimi get his Superlicence?

· Banned
14,107 Posts

No kidding, remember what happened to Kevin Schwantz?

· Registered
2,402 Posts
Re: Rossi to test Ferrari regularly. (CTB1)

Quote, originally posted by CTB1 »

This could not be more wrong. The physics are completely different, not the least reason being that one vehicle leans into a turn, the other leans out.

Both experience the same centrifugal force. The difference is that the motorcyclist has to actively change the weight balance (leaning into a corner), while a car is a more passive experience.
The physics are the same (grip, front to back weight transfer, understeer/oversteer etc...), except the lateral weight transfer is active with a bike, and passive with a car.
Eric Qvick told me this. Feel free to google the name. He used to race bikes, has also driven the factory BMW 2002, and now builds racecars and has his own racing team. He told me if you can handle a bike, you can handle a car, but the reverse is not nessesarily true.

· Administrator Emeritus
19,628 Posts
Re: Rossi to test Ferrari regularly. (AuForm)

Quote, originally posted by AuForm »
Both experience the same centrifugal force. The difference is that the motorcyclist has to actively change the weight balance (leaning into a corner), while a car is a more passive experience.
The physics are the same (grip, front to back weight transfer, understeer/oversteer etc...), except the lateral weight transfer is active with a bike, and passive with a car.
Eric Qvick told me this. Feel free to google the name. He used to race bikes, has also driven the factory BMW 2002, and now builds racecars and has his own racing team. He told me if you can handle a bike, you can handle a car, but the reverse is not nessesarily true.

Quick question, and I really, honestly am not trying to be a dick - I just want to know - do you ride?
Yes, many of the main forces that a bike and a car experience are the same, but the way that they experience them, the way that the bike / car reacts to those forces and the way that the rider / driver has to deal with them is VERY VERY different. Setting up a corner on a bike is a very different thing than setting one up in a car.
I don't doubt that Eric Qvick was able to make the transition, just that many people find it difficult to do so.
I will still be interested to see how Rossi does.
-Tim

· Registered
2019 Pajero Sport and 1999 100 series LC
12,396 Posts

I will still be interested to see how Rossi does.

In previous tests he's been well off the pace. In 80 laps in last years car he was at best 3 seconds back of Shui's lap record.
I'm guessing he's no John Surtees.

· Registered
11,434 Posts
Re: Rossi to test Ferrari regularly. (CBJ)

Quote, originally posted by CBJ »
In previous tests he's been well off the pace. In 80 laps in last years car he was at best 3 seconds back of Shui's lap record.
I'm guessing he's no John Surtees.

Considering it was his first test I don't think anyone was expecting him to break a lap record. It'll be interesting to see how the kid does; he's got potential, but he's used to being at the top, will running slower than others consistantly discourage him?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.