VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone, I posted this in technical, but thought I would ask here as well.

Looking for some help with my sons 2015 Jetta SE. He's been experiencing rough idle. He has 80,000 miles. I did the easy thing and put in some plugs (actually it wasn't that easy!). It still idles rough, but drives good. I ran a scan with VCDS, and he has misfire codes on ALL cylinders. Before I spend his money on coil packs, could it be something else if all 4 cylinders are misfiring? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
If you’ve never had a carbon cleaning done, these are the symptoms.

I had my first done at 40k, I’m at 80k now and just starting seeing the same symptoms. I was due for plugs, coil packs and fuel filter anyway, so replaced those and no better.

In my case I’m pretty sure I need a carbon cleaning. Look into it, could be your issue as well. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Like you, I did the same thing with plugs and coilpacks to no avail lol.

Probably needs injectors and carbon cleaning. Gonna be a bit pricey. Might as well replace the injectors while you're in there. Otherwise you'll be doing/paying for all that labor again just to take off the manifold.

My wife's 2011 Tiguan with the same mileage had the same problem. Horrific pics attached.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
234 Posts
Same thing happened to my 15 Sport at 75kmiles.

Rough Idle and you could feel like the car was struggling.

Carbon Clean was done and the car drives like it was new.

I wish i still had the pics but the carbon was GUNKED up

·
Registered
234 Posts
Ouch, not the answer I was hoping for!

I may have him run by the dealership for diagnosis... Anyone know the going rate for a carbon clean these days?
I went to an VW mechanic indy shop and got charged around $1110

it was a 2 day job so had to get a rental which added around $150

so imagine the dealer...

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
That sounds about right. I too went to my trusted VW/Audi mechanic and it was about $1400 ($300 for injectors).

Along with my carbon cleaning, I had an injector stuck open and it smelled like fuel. I went with his recommendation of replacing all four injectors at the same time; he didn't want to replace the one stuck one and have me come back later to replace the others as they fail. Why? Because of labor.

Our injectors suck. It might be worth thinking about. After this, your son should be good for another 80k

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
234 Posts
Have you considered using Premium once every 3-4 tanks?

I run premium about two times out of 3 tanks, or 2 times out of 4 tanks. I am yet to experience anything like what you guys describe.
I always used Shell 93 or Exxon Synergy, still needed cleaning BAD.

Consequences of DI Engines :/

·
Registered
144 Posts
I always used Shell 93 or Exxon Synergy, still needed cleaning BAD.

Consequences of DI Engines :/

Yowza. That'd be the stuff to use though.

My hybrid requires premium for every fillup, but I'm able to get away with using regular once in awhile. (I suspect the first owner never used premium).

·
Registered
2014, Volkswagen, GLI, Gen3 #2Slo #SLOJUNK
196 Posts
Question

Hello everyone,

My motor blew at 40k miles and Volkswagen replaced the entire longblock. (motor was sabotaged) I dont know if volkswagen cleaned my valves at all when replacing the motor and i am currently at 88k and was wondering if Meth Injection alone could clean the valves. I drive the car very hard and im not even sure what my carbon build up is honestly looking like so i do not want to rip whole front end apart for no reason. I have a a guy that tunes my car that can tune it for the meth but should i clean them first?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Well, looks like I’ll be getting rid of my ‘17 SE once it gets around 80-100k miles...no way in F&@! am I paying ~$1000 for a damn walnut blast service...I’m starting to see why VW and most German cars are considered 100k mile cars. No wonder most people get rid of them by then.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I’ve heard and have seen positive results for an out home carbon cleaning when using the sea-foam spray that you connect through your throttle body coupler.
Just throwing that out there.
Hell of a lot cheaper than 1000$

·
Registered
144 Posts
I’ve heard and have seen positive results for an out home carbon cleaning when using the sea-foam spray that you connect through your throttle body coupler.
Just throwing that out there.
Hell of a lot cheaper than 1000$

Where might I find the throttle body in my car? I've got jetta hybrids, and I might try to do a sea foam treatment.

https://www.caricos.com/cars/v/vw/2013_volkswagen_jetta_hybrid/1920x1080/88.html

That page there will have some nice clear photos under the hood of a hybrid.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.