VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced the coil packs and spark plugs and a carbon cleaning less than a year ago. I just replaced the pcv valve and that did not correct the idle. No codes are being thrown.. Im thinking new fuel injectors? Has anyone else had this issue and been able to pin point the issue? It has gotten to the point where it feels like the engine is going to stall

·
Registered
693 Posts
Can you describe it? I’m also dealing with a rough idle issue that I can’t seem to pinpoint, my next step was to do a carbon cleaning it’s the only thing you listed I havent done yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can you describe it? I’m also dealing with a rough idle issue that I can’t seem to pinpoint, my next step was to do a carbon cleaning it’s the only thing you listed I havent done yet

Its almost like a rattle or shutter. I have a video but its too big to upload

·
Registered
17 Posts

Fast forward to 10-11 min

Try to disassemble the throttle body and clean it. Cause we obviously take in oil into our throttle body and burn it(stupid design) possibly the throttle may be sticking. I did carbon clean throttle body. And cleaned injectors and it solved the issue. What oil do you use?? I only use liquid moly. And issue has not come back

·
Registered
17 Posts
Try to disassemble the throttle body and clean it. Cause we obviously take in oil into our throttle body and burn it(stupid design) possibly the throttle may be sticking. I did carbon clean throttle body. And cleaned injectors and it solved the issue. What oil do you use?? I only use liquid moly. And issue has not come back
Also get an obd11 and look at elongation of intake should be lower then +/-5 and if it is around there you might have chain stretch. I'm at -3.88. Which is in spec. Cross my fingers but I might need to do a new chain soon or sell it for gti or gli.

·
Registered
17 Posts

Fast forward to 10-11 min

Sent from my iPhone using
Also get an obd11 and look at elongation of intake should be lower then +/-5 and if it is around there you might have chain stretch. I'm at -3.88. Which is in spec. Cross my fingers but I might need to do a new chain soon or sell it for gti or gli.
Pop the round plate off the timing chain cover which is the inspection cover for your tensioner (always replace plug with new one) and inspect how far that tensioner is out. If so im sorry to say new timing chain. By the way JB4 all the way!!! Lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I did an oil change today with liquimoly.
How did you clean the throttle body?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Go online and look it up. There is a walnut blast. Or you can make manually clean the valves. Online is a wonderful thing. To much to type. Just put walnut blast or clean intake valves on mk6 jetta or what ever you have.

·
Registered
17 Posts
But to be honest with you I personally would look into your timing chain. You don't want catastrophic engine damage. I'm right on the cusp of doing it but it's a tedious job. And you need the actual manual and go by the book to replace or you can pay out of pocket if the timing is off. Walnut blast you can deff do yourself DO NOT HAVE VW DO IT!! They put in a liquid into your gas that doesn't do ****. NOW the timing chain is a different story unless you have time and patients.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Jbrooks is the OP. He has already done a carbon cleaning. I am the one that has not done a carbon cleaning. And I also already used obd11 to check for chain elongation and my numbers were in the correct range. And he’s asking about specifically cleaning the throttle body.

To the OP:
I would take off the throttle pipe, remove the throttle body spray it with carb cleaner and hit it with a wire brush until it’s silver again.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Do not disconnect the throttle body power. You don't want it to not recalibrate and then your car will act erratic and not start. I had this happen to me thinking screw it I have obd11 and it would not recalibrate. Thank god my friend works at VW shop and stopped by with his machine and fixed my issue. You don't want that headache. FYI

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don't know what it is yet. Oil change and oil additives happening tomorrow. New fuel injectors will be happening next
I personally wouldn't spend money on new Injectors in my opinion. I took them out replaced the new o rings too a rubber tube and stuck it around the inlet of the injector sprayed Injector cleaner and powered the injector to force it to pump. At the same time you have the tube attactched around the inlet and secured. filled with injector cleaner and powered up you take a air compressor to force the injector cleaner at the same time. Youtube has videos. Don't spend 5 600 on new injectors. I spent maybe $25 on the parts and that was that the spray was back to normal

·
Registered
17 Posts
I personally wouldn't spend money on new Injectors in my opinion. I took them out replaced the new o rings too a rubber tube and stuck it around the inlet of the injector sprayed Injector cleaner and powered the injector to force it to pump. At the same time you have the tube attactched around the inlet and secured. filled with injector cleaner and powered up you take a air compressor to force the injector cleaner at the same time. Youtube has videos. Don't spend 5 600 on new injectors. I spent maybe $25 on the parts and that was that the spray was back to
I personally wouldn't spend money on new Injectors in my opinion. I took them out replaced the new o rings too a rubber tube and stuck it around the inlet of the injector sprayed Injector cleaner and powered the injector to force it to pump. At the same time you have the tube attactched around the inlet and secured. filled with injector cleaner and powered up you take a air compressor to force the injector cleaner at the same time. Youtube has videos. Don't spend 5 600 on new injectors. I spent maybe $25 on the parts and that was that the spray was back to normal

1 - 20 of 27 Posts