VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Van is in again for brake issues. New front rotors at 4,000 miles and new rear rotors at 12,000. Now at 15,000 miles we need new both front and rear rotors. Right now call in with VWOA to see if they will cover it and stand by their product. Dealer said it's wear and tear and they will not cover it - cause could be that I drive with my foot on the brake.:screwy: VWOA rep let me know that it is a heavy vehicle. :D Hard to believe that I could be on my 3rd set of rotors - all I want is to stop the van without the steering column shaking. Is that too much to ask!?

·
Registered
623 Posts
You know.... I thought I was immune to the brake issue on the Routan until about 3 hours ago.

Was on the freeway and had to brake somewhat hard for traffic. And there it was.... very noticeable shake of warped front rotors.

9300 miles on it.

I am super light on my brakes. Almost all of my driving is freeway driving. These rotors are clearly crap.

Looks like I get to play the new rotor game with VWOA now too.
:mad:

·
Registered
475 Posts
Brakes AGAIN too

My machine goes in the garage for a few problems next week. The rear right signal bulb blew and the signal indicator goes nuts when on - annoying. BUT the brakes are wobbling again, so they'll be rechecked too.

I had the rotors resurfaced TWICE without replacement - at 2 and 3,000KM. Guess they are literally wearing down now - "they can only be resurfaced so much" I was told by the service manager, hinting at the next step, 6 months ago. For me as well, here comes the two strike pitch to replace them without cost... we'll see where that goes. I will certainly be adamant on getting free ones with only 16 KM (10,000 or so miles). Notwithstanding the brake pads having to suffer through it all.

Just thought I'd add it to the pile.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Still waiting...

Nothing to update yet - VWOA called late afternoon yesterday and said they will be doing some fact finding on the case and get back to me. I am not a mechanic - maybe someone can post some ideas on what could be the mechanical cause. That would be greatly appreciated. Service manager's only thought is that I drive with my foot on the brake and that is the cause of it. :mad:

From reading other forums I have found some possibilities: stuck caliper or slide pins, bad strut or ball joint, wheels out of balance, or ABS not working correctly. Not sure of quality of rotors they are using either.

I know a lot have posted about brake problems. Has anyone had a tech find a mechanical cause other than blaming it on driver error? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Nothing to update yet - VWOA called late afternoon yesterday and said they will be doing some fact finding on the case and get back to me. I am not a mechanic - maybe someone can post some ideas on what could be the mechanical cause. That would be greatly appreciated. Service manager's only thought is that I drive with my foot on the brake and that is the cause of it. :mad:

From reading other forums I have found some possibilities: stuck caliper or slide pins, bad strut or ball joint, wheels out of balance, or ABS not working correctly. Not sure of quality of rotors they are using either.

I know a lot have posted about brake problems. Has anyone had a tech find a mechanical cause other than blaming it on driver error? Thanks for the help.

No need to search around of the cause. The cause is Sub-Standard, Cheap "Made in China" Rotors.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Unfortunately, this is nothing new for Chrysler. The problem of warped rotors goes back to at least the 70s. Their big cars (yeah, all cars were big back then, but I am talking about the huge cars like the New Yorkers, etc), were notorious for this problem. The rotors just weren't manufactured to take the amount of heat that was generated. My full size (B250) vans from the 80s suffered from this as well, but at least I usually got 25-30000 miles on a set before trouble set it. The best solution was to buy a good set of replacements when the originals went. I tried the resurfacing route a couple of times, but that was usually only good for another 5-10000 miles at best and they usually took out the new set of pads when the rotors warped again. None of the Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth mini vans have ever done well with rotors, either, but the problems seem to be even worse on the Routans (and I would guess their Chrysler sisters as well). Nearly every one of the Routans I test drove had this problem, even with near zero miles on them. The dealer thought the problem was from rust setting in from the vans sitting on the lot for extended periods of time. This is when VW was replacing the rotors without even trying to resurface them.

To put this in perspective, I got just under 40000 miles on my first set of pads and rotors on my 2003 Eurovan (and the mechanic said the rotors were still good for another 10000 but I had them replaced anyway). My current set has gone over 40000 as well. The Routan may be a heavy vehicle, but the Eurovan is a heavy vehicle as well and most of the miles on our Eurovan have been with a heavy load of either passengers, cargo or both.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just got the van back this afternoon. VWOA covered the third set of rotors. Dealer's "service" not good at all, so I would insist on giving VWOA a call directly if you are experiencing problems. Brakes actually feel like they are working correctly. First time in...15,000 miles :)

·
Registered
176 Posts
My dealer covered the warped brakes and said it was either recalled or that VWOA knows it's a problem and it'll be covered. (I'm not sure if it'll ever get to recall levels.) My dealer called VWOA directly and got the low down on the issue.

It took twice fo them to "catch it in the act" and I did a happy dance in the service bay when they said they got it to shake!

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
i was talking with a woman in my Neighborhood that has a 2009 T&C Limited. She told me that she got a letter from the Chrysler Group stating that they will replace the rotors and pad on all 2009+ Town and Country's. She also said that if you did it yourself, they will reimburse you to 100% less a 50 dollar fee.

Sounds like a recall to me, and the Routan should not be far behind

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
My dealer covered the warped brakes and said it was either recalled or that VWOA knows it's a problem and it'll be covered. (I'm not sure if it'll ever get to recall levels.) My dealer called VWOA directly and got the low down on the issue.

It took twice fo them to "catch it in the act" and I did a happy dance in the service bay when they said they got it to shake!
Mine's doing it again too, got an appointment for the 12k oil change this weekend and I already mentioned this to the dealer. We'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Chrysler's Brake Campaign for 2009 Minivans

Because of the close relation of my Routan to the Mopar world I also watch the chrysler minivan fourms--another very good resource for our shared platform vehicles. There's a post over there that describes the brake campaign. If you're one of the brake afflicted you may want to share news of this campaign with the good folks over at VWOA.

http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/sh...-Extension-for-2009-Dodge-GC-and-Chrysler-TC?

TC

·
Registered
2 Posts
BRAKE ISSUES on my New 2010 Routan

My 2010 Routan, with litterally 2000 miles had to have the front rotors and pads replaced!!!!!
The problem started about 500 miles ago, with a periodoc squeak upon apply

·
Registered
2 Posts
BRAKE ISSUES on my New 2010 Routan

My 2010 Routan, with litterally 2000 miles had to have the front rotors and pads replaced!!!!!
The problem started about 500 miles ago, with a periodoc squeaking. It has only gotten worse. I took it into the VW dealer. I was told there was a residue on the rotors that should not be there. The dealer contacted VW tech support, they were advised to replace the rotors and pads.

Is this common with VW/Chyrsler vans? Is there or will there be any kind of recall? Will I be back in the next 2000 miles, to have the same issue.

If anyone is reading this, please offer your insight.

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
I wondered that too, they told me they replaced all four rotors, but if it's the same bad designed rotors, I'll have the same issue. It is a known issue with Chrysler's as well.

·
Registered
12,171 Posts
We are not alone. My friends that have Asian minivans ALL have the same brake shimmy issue. The problem is the manufacturers install brakes from a CAR on this 6000lb van and expect it to work. If I purchase my Routan at the end of the lease I will order aftermarket rotors and hope like heck they are made from better material or look into doing an SRT8 brake swap with one of the Dodge products.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Totally with these comments... my sister in law has a Toyota Sienna that goes through brakes every 10K miles.

As for a brake upgrade, I wonder if stuff from some of the Dodge SRT stuff would bolt up? I would be interested in that as well.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Totally with these comments... my sister in law has a Toyota Sienna that goes through brakes every 10K miles.

As for a brake upgrade, I wonder if stuff from some of the Dodge SRT stuff would bolt up? I would be interested in that as well.

im putting on Power slot rotors next week, that and some acebono pads should help the brake feel :thumbup:

Just a thought out there tho... it seems that 100% of the Routans out there are experiencing brake issues, besides **** quality brake pads / rotors, has anyone thought about the brake calipers themselves being the culprits ? possibly not retracing enough and super heating the rotors ?

1 - 20 of 121 Posts