VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so since ive installed my clutch kit my rpm guag has been un reliable lol. in certain instances i will be driving along and they will stray up about 800rpm!lol. and to day i got on it hard in first gear and the rpm guage flew to 7500! but the engine wasnt up there...i kno the engine speed is read from the sproket in the block but could this issue be caused by my flywheel or is my guage cluster bad?

·
Registered
13,731 Posts
Could be that the flywheel sensor is going bad, or there's a problem with the magnetic pin on the flywheel, or you have a wiring problem (like a bad connection), or the ECU or cluster are going bad.

Did you have this problem before you chnaged the clutch, and did you replace the flywheel? Not many people have problems with the OEM Sachs flywheel when it comes to the sensor pin. Was your flywheel resurfaced, or replaced with a used one, or resurfaced?

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
im leaning towards a sensor issue because for the first time last night i started the car 2 times and both times it died right away..then i statred it and gave it a lil gas and then it stayed running. all thses issue's i never had before the clutch install

·
Registered
13,731 Posts
Are you sure that the clutch is not slipping?

If you are, and you've already installed a manually adjusted clutch cable (and properly adjusted it) in place of the factory self-adjusting clutch cable, then I'd replace the aftermarket lightweight flywheel. Most probably it's the source of your problem/s.

What year is your car? Did it have a two pin flywheel or a one-pin flywheel, and are you sure that you bought and installed the correct clutch set to be used with the lightweight flywheel (which probably requires the two pin pressure plate that was used on 93-94 ABAs)? 95 and newer ABA engined cars came from VW with one-pin flywheels.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the clutch is definitely not slipping..just took it out for a spin and got on it real hard in 1st and it was accelrating, rpm guage became erratic and just stayed bouncing around in between 4k-5k.i could hear the engine rpm still climbing and see the speedo still climbing steadily. i kno for a fact its not slipping. and for the record im in a 96 vr. 3 pin flywheel from the factory on a dual mas sachs flywheel but now its a 3 pin LW flywheel.

·
Registered
42 Posts
fly wheel

Light weight pully? Might look at a balancing the motor. Removing weight is fine but the fly wheel carries momentum from the power strokes over the rest of the other 3 strokes.

As for the rpms. was anything damaged when you put in the new clutch. also the sensor might read off of the flywheel. Being lightweight it is either thin or a different type of metal. This could be throwing it off.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i def. understand what you mean about removing the weight. there is no reading taken from the flywheel. one sensor on the diff strictly for the speedo.... and one on the engine block reading off of a sproket in the crank case for engine speed. im leaning toward my crank sensor being bad as now the problem has evolved into sometime it will just shut off. or ill turn it on and it will die right away then ill start it and its fine.

·
Registered
42 Posts

Some cars run the sensor off the flywheel (rare) bt ya. "Thread: rpm's not right after flywheel." Made me think of problems related to most recent changes. If you did change your fly wheel it is possible that the cylender power balance has changed and showing slight rpm changes but anything huge u would feel. So ya CKP would make sense.

Try cleaning it with some break clean and see if that works. Should be a toothed wheel behind the balancer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.