VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
2,328 Posts
Re: rs4 coming stateside according to AutoWeek (JDubya11)

Judging that the RS6 is $87K (at least the one that was at Rockville Audi was yesterday), then it would come in cheaper.... how much cheaper, I don't know, but I doubt it'd be in the $80s.

· Registered
76 Posts
Re: rs4 coming stateside according to AutoWeek (S4inSoFla)

380 hp
I'd say 60's. It can't go too high, otherwise they'd be taking be in M5/RS6 territory.
I'd LOVE to get one.
Maybe I should quit my job and start dealing yeyo.

· Registered
4,179 Posts
Re: rs4 coming stateside according to AutoWeek (torero)

Acording to the article, the 380 hp was from a revised 2.7tt on the B5.
The new RS4 8E is to have a 3.0tt, but there was no mention of its output.

· Registered
9,473 Posts
Re: rs4 coming stateside according to AutoWeek (MEDEL514)

Remember a couple of things here. New M5 will have 500-550hp so the NEW RS6 (the current although new is still "old" tech and platform) will have to compete with that and will have more than 450hp.
The SEAT Cupra Racer has a twin turbo 3.0L Audi engine with over 500hp. Hmmmm - detuned to 425hp or so should be sufficient for the RS4.
The new MKV based RS3 and possibly the next generation TT will have a 3.2T with 368PS or around 355hp.
I'd say $65k+ for the new RS4 since a loaded S4 will be around $52k.

· Registered
7,584 Posts
Re: rs4 coming stateside according to AutoWeek (MEDEL514)

Quote, originally posted by MEDEL514 »
Acording to the article, the 380 hp was from a revised 2.7tt on the B5.
The new RS4 8E is to have a 3.0tt, but there was no mention of its output.

there was talk about the 3.0L block put into a 2.9L configuration with biturbos pushing around 420 hp range as [email protected] states

· Registered
9,473 Posts
Re: rs4 coming stateside according to AutoWeek (idrivequattro)

Quote, originally posted by idrivequattro »
This is exactly why I am not getting the B6 S4. What were the expected shipping dates?

Well consider the fact it probably won't be made available for about another year in Europe - figure 2005-06 as the earliest it hits the states...

· Registered
1,081 Posts

I beleive the engine is still a lot of speculation even by autoweek. Maybe somebody at the vortex can get more info on this from the inside I would beleive the 3.0TT. I personally beleive they will try to fit in the TT V8 from the RS6, but who knows.
I tought the S4 is suppossed to be less than the M3 and not, as extreme as it is, and the RS4 an all out M3 killer, for a little more money than an M3. Kind of trying to make a sandwich out of the M3.
Jamie or Jow might be able to get the real info or at least when they are releasing some info. But it's going to go to the States for sure and it will be in sedan and avant.

· Registered
39 Posts
Re: rs4 coming stateside according to AutoWeek (Giancarlo)

The engine isn't for sure yet, you're right. Most people believe it will be a biturbo 3.0, especially after Audi released that concept car with 500 hp from the twin turbo 3.0. Others have speculated it will be a de-tuned rs6 motor, but that would be tuff to cram into the B6 A4 engine bay. Why doesn't audi ever do superchargers? A supercharged version of the 4.2 would be really quick and much easier to do then the biturbo.

· Registered
9,473 Posts
Re: rs4 coming stateside according to AutoWeek (Giancarlo)

Quote, originally posted by Giancarlo »
I beleive the engine is still a lot of speculation even by autoweek. Maybe somebody at the vortex can get more info on this from the inside I would beleive the 3.0TT. I personally beleive they will try to fit in the TT V8 from the RS6, but who knows.

That was the original plan and it has been tried and it has failed. That I know for sure. Just not enough room in there for the V8 engine and turbos. My sources indicated that the 3.0l twin turbo will be the engine of choice right now and that may or maynot change.

· Registered
2,345 Posts
Re: rs4 coming stateside according to AutoWeek ([email protected])

As I side with the 3.0TT theory (probably really a 2.9), but what about something completely out of the box?
What about a smaller version V8, like the 3.8L, or the 4.0L like that from the quattro V8? You could still use all the plumbing from the RS6, and almost everything would work. It just reduces size, and makes the engine more likely to fit in the B6 A4 platform.

· Registered
9,473 Posts

Quote, originally posted by idrivequattro »
As I side with the 3.0TT theory (probably really a 2.9), but what about something completely out of the box?
What about a smaller version V8, like the 3.8L, or the 4.0L like that from the quattro V8? You could still use all the plumbing from the RS6, and almost everything would work. It just reduces size, and makes the engine more likely to fit in the B6 A4 platform.

That would require additional development (and $$$$) of an engine that does not currently exist. In theory, they could do a 3.2L VR6 twin turbo that puts out 600hp like the one done by HPG in Germany VERY easily as HGP's kit is very much an extension of the factory system. They could also just simply single turbo the upcoming 3.6L VR6 for 400+ hp.
However, as I posted initially, they HAVE developed a 3.0L V6 twin turbo that will be for sale in the SEAT Cupra GT racer with 500hp. Why not just detune it and sell it in the RS4? Much less expensive.

· Registered
11,172 Posts
Re: rs4 coming stateside according to AutoWeek ([email protected])

Quote, originally posted by [email protected] »
Remember a couple of things here. New M5 will have 500-550hp so the NEW RS6 (the current although new is still "old" tech and platform) will have to compete with that and will have more than 450hp.
The SEAT Cupra Racer has a twin turbo 3.0L Audi engine with over 500hp. Hmmmm - detuned to 425hp or so should be sufficient for the RS4.
The new MKV based RS3 and possibly the next generation TT will have a 3.2T with 368PS or around 355hp.
I'd say $65k+ for the new RS4 since a loaded S4 will be around $52k.

your exactly right!
this is my theory, the current S4 is competing against the M3 very well, but in 2006 there will be the E90 based M4 with a V8, that will have over 400hp so the RS4 will have to be putting out around 425hp from the bi turbo 3.0 to compete with it

· Registered
9,473 Posts
Re: rs4 coming stateside according to AutoWeek (fitch)

The funny thing is that AoA is in a position to have to try and sell premium cars at premium prices for the first time with the RS versions in the States. IF the RS4 comes to the US it will a decision based solely on the price point in which they think they can sell them. They are planning to build many more B6 RS4's than B5's so supply won't be an issue.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.