VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a little program on a french website, that, with the stock size of rubber on your car and the rubber you want to upgrade to... It gives you the error margin of your speedo... Example... if stock tires size is 205/50r15 (as stock gtiVR6) and I upgrade for some 205/45r16 if my speedo says I'm rollin 100km/h in fact I'm rollin 101km/h... So I was testing all combo to find the size that will give me a error margin of 0 so the real speed would be the same as stock size... I should get some 225/40zr16 ?!?!?
Isn't it to large ? should it be better with 17".... What I'm lookin for is grip in curves and road... Something that won't be hard on quick launch... And as sleeper as possible...
Which brand you recommand, for tires on those size.....
I'm lookin for wheels as AEZ Paron.... Some nice sleeper deep dish style wheels....
Thanx to help me.. I'm kind of lost with all those rubber questions !?!?

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
Re: rubber question (GoLfT)

Hey man, I understand where you are coming from. I went to the local rim shop and they had a book there that would calculate the best sized tire for your current set up. I do believe that 40 series rubber is best on 17's for us A3's.
My best advice for you is to go to a shop that knows this kind of info best

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: rubber question (dblab)

Well a friend of mine owning 2 porsche 944T... He's the one who recommand me 215/40/16....
So, is it a good size ?!?

·
Registered
437 Posts

This is one of the better ones around. You can always calculate it with a calculator, but why bother when the internet is there.
Tire Converter
On another note: I'm not trying to be a smart-a$$ here, but this is in tons of previous forums. Don't wanna go on a rant, but did you search before you posted???

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: rubber question (Ninjapimp)

I'ven't search your right...

The fact is that I was askin if that program I've found was accurate or not...
Secondo, I was askin if it is possible to fit 225 width on mk3...
:|
But thanx I'll try your program, compare with the one I've found...
thx

·
Registered
437 Posts

I think the industry standard is about +/- 3%. Most people won't give a damn and will put whatever fits on their cars. The best fit to keep your speedo accurate at 225 width, is a 35 series tire. That gives you a -0.6% change (only about 1km at 100km/h). I'm a mk IV'er so I'm not positive on how well the fit will be on a mkIII, but I've yet to see a car that can't take 20mm more than stock. Just make sure that as you go to a more extreme sizing change, you should upgrade your suspension. Riding on hard tires and soft suspension will: wear out your tires quicker, give you a nasty shock then long bounce ride, and is potentially dangerous if you blow out your tire rubbing it on the fender,shock or inner well. Make sure you have the correct offset (super important when you jump rim/tire widths) and a good suspension set-up and you pretty much run whatever your heart desires.
Also, maybe check the suspension forum. Those guys are fanatics.....

[Modified by Ninjapimp, 1:54 PM 10-25-2001]

·
Banned
4,560 Posts

Original stock tires on a MK III were only 185 wide. The 195 tires came on GTI's Wolfsburg's and other "step up" trim packages. You might want to tick with 215's stretched.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Re: rubber question (Bob Roberts)

Thanks Bob. I didn't know that. If that's the case I would stick with 215's too, but if you really want 225's, measure the well and if it fits without rolling the fender, maybe draw in the offset and check a full wheel turn to see. I'll check with some of the local MkIII's and see if anyone has 225's.

·
Registered
437 Posts

Remember though that the VR6 sizing is going to be a Plus 1 size setup. The base model is what you should judge from.
Give me till tomorrow. I'll find out what the locals do....

·
Registered
437 Posts

Don't know about the GTI exactly, but this is from a mk III Jetta EXPERT.....
quote:[HR][/HR]
Part of the reason I went 15" (aside from cost) was that 195 R15s are easy to find. I'm lowered about 3" in the front, and I still rub a little. Tires over 16" are tough to find skinnier than 205. A 215 R17 would rub for sure. It depends on if that friend of yours wanted to stay at stock height or not, I guess. And even stil, the soft stock suspention might pose a problem.
If they're going to spend the money on 17"s, I recomened 205s, or even the super expensive (imported) 195s. [HR][/HR]​
So I guess it depends on your ride height. Check the Wheel and tire forum and/or the suspension forum....!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

well what do I know,
original mkIII VR6 size is 205/50/15.... With a 215/40/16 I would be in the ±3%... I don't know if a bilstein/eibach combo would be good choice with this size of wheel... drop ~ 1.3" frnt 1.1"rear for the eibach ?????

1 - 14 of 14 Posts