VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

RudyH Build Thread

41K views 107 replies 22 participants last post by  Rudy_H 
#1 · (Edited)

6/20/2018 - beside my friends restaurant in 'graffiti alley' in Toronto

8/28/2018 - hadn't had a great summer to take pics, so did today. Especially since I will be going home to a torn up neighborhood filled with dust

Quick history to show where this car is going. This is my first VW, but not my first VAG product. Prior to this was a 2001 Audi S4 (stage III) and a 2010 Audi S4 (stage II, suspension and brakes), along with a bunch of Hyundai's.

Out of all the cars I have owned, the greatest was my 2010 Audi S4 (phantom black on black S-Tronic /w sports diff), and I feel like I had to part with it earlier then I was hoping to. I regret not snapping some pictures from the summer during it's prime.

After contiplating between a B8.5 S4 / B9 S4 / RS3 and Golf R, I finally settled on the R of the four. Partially because I have a girlfriend 600kms away and with things progressing positively, I felt the Golf R fit nicer in the '1-3 year plan' where I can review my circumstances afterwards.

So why a build thread? I hadn't done one before, and especially with the two S4's I owned, I regret not having something to look back on - and thought hey why not share it with the community as it's interesting to me to see the other members build threads. I have a feeling from what everyone is saying, especially those who have gone from the B8/8.5 S4 to the Golf R, this will be a great ride!!

Arrived at the dealership November 30th. The dealer informmed me they made a mistake and ordered it with Driver Assistance Package and Spielberg's when I wanted Pretroia's. They decided to order in the Pretroia's for me and still sell the car to me at the price we had originally agreed on. Officially picked it up on December 6th. No pictures of the pick up unfortunately as it was pitch black being in the northern hemisphere.

2018 Golf R - Deep Black Pearl - 6MT

Engine
  • COBB Accessport /w EQT Stage II - 5/3/2021 @ 57,200 km
  • 42 Design 3" downpipe /w sport cat - 5/1/2019
    • flex pipe repair - 11/17/2021
  • emichel6888 mini-cat / O2 sensor - 9/14/2019
  • NGK 91006 AKA Audi RS7 spark plugs - 7/15/2021 @ 61,000 km
  • CTS Turbo Direct Fit IC - 3/25/2022 @ 78,129 km
  • BM JB1 - 4/26/2018 @ 8,700 km (removed)
Brakes, Chassis and Suspension
  • Unibrace UBQ - 4/24/2018
  • 034 Dogbone Mount v1 - 5/24/2018
  • EMD RSB - 7/7/2018
  • Eibach Pro-Kit - 01/19/2023
  • Bilstein B6 /w DCC - 7/25/2022 @ 82,847 km
  • OEM Front Endlinks - 02/16/2023
  • EMD Rear Endlinks - 12/29/2021
  • EBC Red Stuff - 7/8/2022 @ 78,982 km
  • ECS 2-piece front and rear rotors - 7/8/2022 @ 78,982 km
  • MSS Adjustable Springs /w street 205 front and sport rears - 11/5/2018 (removed)
  • EMD Springs - 7/18/2018 (removed)
  • 034 Front Endlinks - 6/8/2020 (removed)
  • 034 Rear Endlinks - 6/8/2020 (removed)
Drivetrain
  • Clutch Pedal Spring delete - 12/22/2017
  • Shorty's clutch stop - 4/7/2018
  • Shorty's short throw shifter - 4/7/2018
  • 42 Design Shifter Bushings / Shifter Relay Lever Bushings - 4/7/2018
  • Clutch Bleeder Block diaphragm removal - 4/7/2018
  • Wavetrac LSD (front) - 1/13/2021 @ 55,244 km
  • Ringer Racer Stage III Organic / Cerametalic (575 ft/lbs) - 1/13/2021 @ 55,244 km
  • OEM Sachs DMF - 1/13/2021 @ 55,244 km
  • UM Haldex Tune - 9/9/2021
Interior
  • euro rear head rests - 12/6/2017
  • ratcheting arm rest - 12/16/2017
  • envelope style cargo net - 12/16/2017
  • eBay arm rest storage kit - 01/11/2018
Exterior
  • Autobahn Cermaic 35% tint all around - 12/11/2017
  • Premium Shield PPF - 12/11/2017
    front bumper, hood, fenders, A-pillar, roof, headlights, mirrors
Summer
  • Michelin Pilot Sport 4S 235/35ZR 19 - 03/21/2022
  • OEM 19x8 Prets Powder Coated Bronze - 03/21/2022
  • ECS Flush Kit 10 / 15mm - 3/21/2022
OBDEleven

Winter
  • 3D MAXpider Mats - 12/7/2017
  • Touren TR60 18x8- 12/7/2017
  • Bridgestone Blizzak WS90 225/40/18 - 1/27/2020
(replaces my Michelin x-Ice xi3 225/45 R18 - these rubbed a bit, but I wore them out as they were my winter rubber from my S4)

See less See more
#71 · (Edited)
Thought I would do a quick update as I finalize getting ready for the spring season.
My summer tires were done, and I thought since it happened to be end of fall, I would go ahead and get new wheels. After shopping around for something lighter and that looked good, it turns out the Pret's are pretty light to begin with! After searching around, if I wanted something that would make a difference, I would be spending around $500 /wheel and honestly I don't mind them.

So I decided to get them powder coated and then wrapped in PS4S.

I got the tires installed March 21st, and honestly I got a bit surprised with the fact we were getting snow and ice storms...so swapped back to winters, so I am hoping to grab some nicer pictures with summer around the corner. Immediately though, I want some spacers to finish this off. Hopefully going to have some more weather to be able to see what the sticky feels like too in the corners and a bit of track time!

#76 ·
Well it's a long overdue update. Mostly because of issues with the set-up.

Pretty much finished my suspension with a set of B6's /w DCC. With a catch or two!

On my initial install, it sounded like I was bottoming out the passenger front strut. This was somewhat the case. When I brought the car in to get the work looked at and an alignment, the shop said the MSS springs were too short and not catching the strut from bottoming out. Honestly, this is somewhat the case because you don't need a spring compressor to install MSS Springs, they are incredibly loose, like a cut spring and the ability to raise and lower the car.

The other issue I had was the suspension felt like it was floaty. I tried performing the DCC reset, but the security code no longer worked. After taking it to VW, they reset the security code and performed the DCC reset for me (said it was part of doing an alignment).

After finding a weekday to get the car up, I was able to raise the passenger side about 1/4 inch to bring it in line with the drivers side. I am still off by 1/8th inch but I found that quite interesting that the passenger side was sitting lower than the drivers. Measured from bottom of fender straight down through the wheel cap to the ground. Since I had the car up, I also removed the fender screws after noticing the driver side was already gone! This likely made the largest difference of course.

I do have 10 mm spacers in the front, and with the lowered suspension, I think this adds to the situation...will see the weekend of Oct 8th if I still get rubbing, as the roads around here are fine, but terrible by my inlaws.

Finally, I have a quiet suspension! Not only that, the car has tightened up completely. So now to the fun part.

Driving experience.

First off, the B6's are meant for the track. If you are concerned about buying the B4 or B6's, simple question:

are you going to track the car? If you are looking at a daily 90% of the time, then I would say B4, anything lower I would consider the B6's. For me the cost wasn't much different, but I would say B4's for the mass majority of R owners.

I run a custom profile 'Race' everything, and DCC in 'Normal'. This is great for spirited driving (much like 'Race' with the stock struts / shocks), and since I was never using Comfort, I could switch it back to this setting for DCC for rougher roads which is essentially 'Normal' with the stock equipment. With all the chassis and suspension, I firmly believe this is the best handling car I have ever owned, without completely sacrificing too much comfort. It isn't like you are riding on a cloud in comfort, the chassis is quite stiff. You do feel the road you are driving on.

Overall, I really do like this set-up. Compared to a lot of cars on the road, it feels like I am driving a little go kart. That said, it is hardly the smallest car I have owned in 25+ yrs of driving. From 1st - 3rd, the car is incredibly fun to drive. You can launch aggressively (not a hard drag launch) through a turn and you know where the car is going, and stay going the whole way. Everything seems precise and yet tossable that you feel complete control.
  • Unibrace UBQ
  • 034 Dogbone Mount v1
  • EMD RSB
  • MSS Adjustable Springs /w street 205 front and sport rears
  • Bilstein B6 /w DCC
  • 034 Front Endlinks
  • EMD Rear Endlinks
  • ECS 2-piece front and rear rotors
  • Wavetrac LSD (front)
  • UM Haldex Tune
Is the suspension done? I am going to say yes, but I would like to replace the MSS Adjustable springs with maybe a set of Eibach's or H&Rs for a lower ride. I would highly recommend this set-up to anyone that wants a little more fun with the car. Was it expensive, yes especially around the Wavetrac LSD but I did the work when I got my clutch done to save on costs.

Next up? I think next spring is either finishing off engine (bigger turbo, EQT standard because clutch / bottom end) or RS3 / S5 Sportback in June. Kind of banking on the latter if we have a recession and the car prices crash out, or I will be more than happy to keep driving the R.

#77 ·
Excellent update! I have the B6s and Eibach Springs built and ready to go, but just haven't had time yet to install them. The one issue with my 2019 Golf R has been that the OEM suspension feels over sprung; the car just constantly feels like it's rocking front and back. Really hoping the new suspension settles things properly.

Question- did you trim bump stops when you installed the B6s? I did not trim mine based on the minimal drop of the Eibachs, but it seems like a convo that continues on the threads.

#94 · (Edited)
Back in May, I thought about moving on from Stage 2, and moving forward with going towards a larger turbo.

I had a slight hesitation, as I undersized my clutch I think, putting it right at a standard Vortex offering at 91 octane. It kind of opened the door to looking around at other options (B8.5 S4 / S5 and G20 M340i). Here in Canada we didn't get the 8Y RS3, and the 8V RS3 has a fantastic powertrain, seats and a sunroof, but it didn't seem different enough to justify the cost, to me anyway.

From post #1 here:
"After contemplating between a B8.5 S4 / B9 S4 / RS3 and Golf R, I finally settled on the R of the four. Partially because I have a girlfriend 600 kms away and with things progressing positively, I felt the Golf R fit nicer in the '1-3 year plan' where I can review my circumstances afterwards."

My girlfriend now wife, isn't 600 kms away but her parents are, and we visit them once a month. I feel like making sacrifices are what makes a good relationship. Having that Golf R with the little 2.0T has been great, except the 6MT sucks in bumper to bumper long weekend traffic.

On Monday I ALMOST pulled the trigger on a 2023 Audi S4, spec'd how I wanted it, and going back to the previous 2 S4's I have owned...however my true love was still the B5 S4...
Turns out last week was Audi Canada's sales manager meeting. The quietest announcement at it was the release of the 2025 Audi RS3.

I placed a deposit, and after my dealer only starting a list on Friday....I am #5!!! I kind of felt like I should move my deposit, but I still love my Golf R, and don't mind waiting it out even if I am not #1. The sales guy I worked with mentioned too that if they have a lot of presales Audi usually allocates to the longer lists at dealerships.

After putting off the RS3, because at the point in my life the Golf R was a better decision in many respects. After putting off a 2020 RS3 because of COVID and not sure if I would go back into the office again, and a 2022 RS3 being released (never came to Canada). I think that 1-3 yrs, has turned into 5+ yrs...I would have never thought of it, and I never regretted it.

If you are looking for a Golf R, get it, you will have a tiny list after owning it of cars you can upgrade to, you will never want to get rid of it. The MK7 IMO is pretty rock solid, I will recommend it to ANYONE who asks me.

Will update this thread with final thoughts in 1.5 yrs, as the long wait till 2025 begins.

#55 · (Edited)
Just a small update, and not hard to giggle when pushing the car now in corners.
I had been running a low torque map to conserve my stock clutch the past while. So I never have had the opportunity to truly run a Stage II set-up - all part of the story.

After receiving the car, I found more so on cold start-up the clutch felt heavy, and knowing that it was brand new going in, I must say after a week it feels like stock. Again cold start-up, I would say it is very minimal difference between stock and giving it a few more weeks will loosen up I am sure. With the car warmed up, it feels like stock and arguably even lighter than stock. I left the bump stop as is but I am pretty sure it lets out a tad earlier as when I first got it installed I could feel it letting go - now it feels extremely smooth. So exactly where I think it should be. Other key notes include no chatter. For the clutch itself, I must say I will need a stock Golf R to really see the difference because I cannot tell if there is one. I didn't bother asking for my old flywheel and clutch back - not expecting weight lose or gain, and it was slipping, nothing interesting to see here.

What I cannot comment on is, how long will this clutch last? I noted the install date and mileage in my first page, so I am hoping to never look at it again. Along with the thrust bearing and Wavetrac LSD, the car drivetrain needs a Haldex tune and maybe rear Wavetrac LSD. Otherwise, I feel like beefing up the drivetrain is done at this point. Suspension has a little tweak here and there, so now it's all about going fast and and making it as comfortable doing it.

As for the Wavetrac, I have a long road with a boulevard and a number of round abouts throughout it. It is a great little strip to test a cars handling and putting it through its paces. The speed is a bit up through here too which makes it even more nicer. It's winter, tracks are closed, back country roads can potentially have black ice - it's not the time of year to be adventuring.

Honestly, it is just hilarious now how the car handles. I always felt a sense of unease when pushing hard through a round about with the XDS+. You can feel the brakes being applied, and at times it doesn't seem 100% like that was what was supposed to happen, which at times make me hesitant of pushing harder. I felt like the RSB made the car feel a bit like a go kart I might add as well. That in mind, the LSD with RSB and MSS Springs, have made the car feel like it is slammed to the ground and there is no such thing as traction issues. THIS IS ON WINTER TIRES! I think it is is better on my winter tires now then on my summer tires!!! I absolutely can't wait till spring / summer time.

Knowing I was running on a low torque map, I decided to crank up the boost yesterday afternoon on the JB1. As I open the hood, and look for the JB1, it was gone! Turns out the mechanic working on my car thought the JB1 had the wires broken, and removed it so I was running stock. The wires missing, were the connections to make it a JB4 instead of a JB1. They still had it and I installed it last night. The giggling only continues. Those roundabouts feel like I can push so much harder with complete control. With one exception. So as one knows, most round abouts replace an intersection. So think 1 entrance and 3 (technically 4 if you do the full circle) exits. When I did a 3rd exit (or left turn), I found the front end sticks glued to the road, however the rear end gets a tad squirrelly when the Haldex wants to help. Easily controlled, but again, I think VWs electronics are nice but they aren't great. This is where I want to see what the Haldex tune can do for me to make things a bit more controlled by being more aggressive, and if still not maybe the rear Wavetrac LSD. Again, I am on winter tires, so maybe they are just cracking loose because this isn't the kind of performance they are designed for.

Which brings me to something I don't want to debate, but just wanting to state my opinion.

I was on the fence for the MK7/7.5 and MK8. I think it makes complete sense to have a front LSD, instead of the XDS+, it just a night and day difference. Being a front wheel biased AWD, I think this is where the most gain is, and NOT in the rear like the MK8. So what about the open diff vs 'sports drift' in the MK8 in the rear? This one is so tough, I feel like if the Haldex tune is more aggressive to use the rear (which it likely is in the MK8), then the rear 'sports diff' becomes more important. When I had my rear wheel biased AWD S4 (Torsen), it made a difference when I test drove cars and compared, but again most power was going to the rear in that situation.

So in theory, yes the MK8 R I think is a nice upgrade in this aspect over the MK7/7.5 R. However, with my experience with XDS+, I think the rear Wavetrac LSD would be an upgrade on top of that option because you are relying on VW programming and electronics, it has its limits. With this being a FWD biased AWD, maybe the difference is likely very small. So would I trade in my MK7/7.5 for the 'sports diff'. I don't think so anymore, the real winner is in the front LSD, and both cars require this to be done (as it stands today). Maybe in 3-4 years when the MK8 catches up to the MK7/7.5 due to depreciation will it become more of a hot buy, but it doesn't make sense to move from a MK7/7.5 to a MK8 - especially since there is a rear Wavetrac LSD option for us. As for being a new 'R' owner, and buying used vs getting a new MK8 Golf R? For the sports diff alone, I am going to say no. For the overall package the MK8 Golf R provides, including a new turbo, great interior including seats, and the easy mods we do to our MK7/7.5s being done for you already - you are likely going to have a helluva tough decision....glad I am not making it for you :)

...for me, I think the upcoming RS3 is interesting if I want more power, DCT and rear 'sports diff' / LSD, but I can only see the R's replacement being a Cayman S or a GTS 4.0 at this point. Must say the R is an absolute riot to drive on winters, can't wait for summer tire fun. Feel free to let me know if there is another car available in North America that can replace the MK7 R at its price point!! New or used!

#57 ·
Ya, this is the biggest issue, where do you go now?

Honestly, with the suspension how I have it now /w the Wavetrac, it's ridiculous how well this thing handles. I am pretty sure on summers, Haldex tune and EQT tune (which I am still swayed towards when closer to warranty expiring) - this car is done. The hybrid turbo as you mentioned is pushing it and I don't want to get into built engines. If it wasn't for the 6MT keeping me honest on the speedo, I don't really need too much more power - but I always have a craving more.

I was thinking of doing the 911 thing too, but as you mentioned it's not a daily driver. Even the 911 isn't meant to be daily driven and when you get your maintenance bill, it will suck. I'm not sure on the climate you are in, but the Turbos have had problems with sludge build here in Canada = massive work. The M2 Comp, I agree would be a good option, but the Cayman S / GTS would be a tad bit more interesting as a compromise between the 911 and M2 Comp. I don't think I would go as far as GT4, as I worry about daily driver / suspension, but the Cayman might be a good choice.

So might as well be a good husband, and let the wife choose her next car (sounds like EV in the next 2-3 yrs, preferably with solid state batteries). Or something for long trips, commutes anyway. If anything, MAYBE, will be due for a car myself but till then I haven't a clue what to get. Going to enjoy every mile of road with the R.

#63 ·
Just adding a new post in regards to a new mod that I needed to speak about.

I visited K&H Rad, which does repairs but also performance shop that had a lot of VW's and Audi's they were looking after. A nice MKVI R, that should be running in the 9's soon, and much more.
The team along with Fred @ UM helped me get a UM Haldex tune. After spending sometime reading about the rear diff in the MKVIII R, along with how folks have benefited from the Haldex tune in the MKVII's I felt it was time to give it a shot.

I looked at also the DAP solution from Van der Veer Engineering: Haldex Controller for MK7 and MQB VW and Audi Models (Gen5 Haldex)
The issue I had with it, is it is a piggy back, and though it has a lot of tunability, it doesn't get rid of the soft limits put on the Haldex controller. So even though you might call on 50/50 split, there is a maximum limit of torque that VW also has, that needs to be removed.

I looked at Iroz Haldex Controller: Iroz Haldex Controller
The issue I had with it, was yes you are using a new Haldex controller, but the way the adjustments were being made, I don't like the manual adjustments being made. Yes, it appears to be just for the RS3, but on top of that it seemed like a lot of extra work to get to work. I felt like for those very small potential add to what the UM Haldex tune, it just didn't make sense for me personally.

So what about the UM Haldex tune, and my current set-up?

In a straight line, there is a noticeable push from the rear, just as others have noted. I also think there is a LOT more power being pushed from the rear and there is a significant boost in power it seems. I don't have engine or transmission mounts, so there is likely a bit extra lift in the front, but I feel like I am getting the most out of the tune now as squat goes to the rear, the rear pushes me forward. I would have liked to have done a pre-Haldex tune vs post-Haldex tune, and since I don't have a proper logging method besides OBDII and weather has been all over the place, I just don't feel like I can do a like for like.

As for handling corners. With the Wavetrac, I found it was grabbing the road like a beast and not letting go. I have about 65k km (40k miles) on my tires now, I feel like this is the last summer with them, and even more excited to see how much of the road is going to be gobbled up. The biggest gripe was that it seemed to create quite a bit of oversteer! This with the rear sway bar I am sure seemed to contribute. However, with the Haldex tune, I feel the car has become incredibly neutral. It feels like I can be on the gas MUCH earlier and handle a turn with quite a lot of control.

At this point, I think only reducing unsprung weight is what is in the cards for the future, as for handling I don't see anything is left to be done here. I had front sway bar, but I think I am skipping on that. Camber? I dunno honestly, for daily this seems to be it. I might look into changing the under body bracing as I bottom out on occasion on speed bumps. Not 100% sure besides strut bracing if I want to do much else. Definitely interested in new shocks to compliment the MSS Springs, especially as I have got more KMs on the stock shocks and they are getting ready to be replaced, one pot hole at a time.

What about braking? Something often that is forgotten. Honestly, I feel like the Haldex tune also helped there. They say it does, but it feels like the braking is much more stable then it use to be. For the driving I do, this seems perfect at this point, I am not hard on and off the brakes like tracking, if anything I might work on pads and rotors in the future.

The MKVII R doesn't stop amazing me, one small mod at a time. Well done VW, I am constantly being pulled off the 'what to buy next?' If my wife doesn't want the 8Y RS3, I think I will have a hard time giving up the keys to my MKVII R. Handles great, Stage II (maybe turbo upgrade) is the power I want, 6MT vs DSG is always a debate, until I get open road. I wish I could at least upgrade the seats in the future. Then what?

#64 ·
hey rudy. this is an amazing thread! i am in kitchener as well, and am picking up a '17 Golf R tomorrow. i thought i'd never go back to an AWD car after 10 years in RWD BMWs (and this is my first haldex car since i had a Mk1 TT back in '03), but i just could not resist the R. i'm really interested in the haldex tune and the wavetrac... maybe some day we can connect, i'd love to chat and check out your car.

peter

#70 ·
Had a bit a noise coming from the right rear passenger side, and I don't think it was hard to find what the issue was - busted end link.
I noticed as you can see from the picture and endlink on the left, that the bolt wasn't so much seized from being able to pivot, but rather bent all together. So a new end link replacement was required.

A few gripes too was the use of the torx / triple square that was used OEM in the 034 end link...however sadly they switched from a metric bolt to imperial! So that caused some confusion when I tried using the nut thinking I was using the original, and since it was locking it was a bit more difficult to install, I thought it was just me. After realizing the issue, fortunately I didn't strip the thread, and after using some WD-40 and the right nut, the thread got cleaned up and it was working with metric again.

Another gripe with the 034's was that the adjustment was inside the cavity of the control arm, so you literally had to remove the end link if you want to adjust. I mean how often would you adjust an endlink? Likely not often but still.

Enter the EMD Rear endlink. I feel like it was a better decision for $40 US more. The bolt that connects to the rear sway bar is a beefy one, and they used a hex (allan) key. I had to buy the larger 5mm hex key, but I feel like there is a greater chance that I can extract that bolt and replace it vs having to dispose of the broken end link like I had to with the 034.

Not sure how long that end link was going, but the car feels good and nearly great again. I am 99% sure I took pictures of the install loaded on ramps, but it's not showing up in my gallery on my phone to post. That said I think I need to readjust things a tad, it feels like there might be a bit of pre-load on the drivers side I need to deal with. Cornering is great, but over bumps it seems to stiffen up a bit too much.

#98 ·
Honestly, RS3 is probably going to be around $70+. I tried getting one in Miami. And was amazed at how difficult it is to find one.

i ended up keeping the Golf R and modifying it.

i also priced out a S3 the way I like it and it was around $57k - $60k. Not really Worth it to be honest, considering my Golf is paid off. Interest rates right now are crazy.

To me, S3 or MK8 is too similar to make the jump. If you can snag a RS3 for a reasonable price. I’d do it. Otherwise just hold on to the Golf R and mod it some to your liking. It would be fun.

#99 · (Edited)
This is in the back of my mind...that said, I won't need to make the decision until MAYBE this time next year when it is available in Canada. I know it sounds terrible, but it looks like a reality...Canada has the highest household debt in the world, it is going to be tough but a reality check is coming.

I won't be worried about interest rates, but I hope when car makers aren't able to sell at the prices they are expecting, it will reflect when I am ready to put in the order. I don't plan on paying interest on this car, so it is up the Audi Canada to lower the price if they want to move the car. Sadly, that is not the reality anymore.

The thing is, my car wholesale is likely around $30-34k. Sell it privately for $38-40k.

If I wanted a 2.5T Golf R, at the time it was in around $20k if you sell off the 2.0T, transmission and Haldex - along with the donor from the 8V. Now you are right there with a brand new 8Y RS3.

I don't think HPA is going to be that far off with their 2.5T VR6 build.

So yes, I feel like an EQT Vortex and maybe a clutch upgrade since I undersized would be the best thing to do. I am going to get murdered for saying this, but after I blew out my left knee last winter, its healed but I think it's time to start driving an automatic...that opens new problems, besides thinking about just buying a MK8.5 R.

#100 · (Edited)
Kind of a boring week at work. It's quiet, and while I wait on somethings might as well do a little write up on a 2023 Audi S3 test drive I had the other week.

First off, I am kind of focused on going down the 8Y.5 RS3 path. One thing I hadn't done yet, was actually test drive a 8Y S3 to make sure when / if I receive my RS3, no regrets.

I went down to the local dealership that I placed my deposit at and they had a 2023 Audi S3 Technik (Prestige in US), fully loaded with every possible option you can imagine. Black on black and red stitching. Honestly, I wanted Daytona Grey, and I have owned a lot of black cars, but if I were to be buying a new car...

First off exterior,

I have grown a bit out of the hatchback look, and really like the sedan. Proportions up close it is what I want, but after seeing one on my vacation last few days I found the 8Y seems quite compact to a B9 for example. Though it has good proportions from a distance in the sense that I find the B9 to be more longer and not wide enough. The 8Y on the other hand seems to have that proper width to length ratio, so at different angles it looks good!

Otherwise, the 8Y, I like it, I have 0 complaints about the exterior.

Next, the interior.

This I had a problem with, and I will get to that in a second.

First the good. Let's start with the seats, I like them, they felt much more comfy then my Golf R, and the quality of material was good. Having the more chunky seat at my driving position still passed the test of me being able to sit in the back seat which I am happy about. Figure if 6' me, can sit in the front and back fine - this is an important test. My B8 S4 actually was cramped with its seats in the rear and often I had to move my seat up.

Steering wheel felt great, this one was heated (no flat bottom) but I would likely do quite similar in that I would keep the heated controls and buy an aftermarket steering wheel /w heated. Buttons!! YES!!! I hate the MK8 for this, but I had drive select easily accessible, and if I wanted to put traction control into sport, there is a BUTTON! The glorious buttons all worked beautifully and with the upgraded screens and UI compared to the MK7 and MK8 Golf R's, they functioned so nicely! The only gripe was with volume control, I kind of still like a knob to be honest as it left me lost while driving which is a bad thing. Ideally you use the steering wheel volume control, as the center is too far away near the passenger which is bad.

The sunroof! I know people hate this, but I have always loved my sunroofs, and happy to have one in my next vehicle. Overall space in the trunk was fine, I have a hatch where yes I have more space to stack things, but the S3 trunk was longer which works for me!

Now for the bad. I didn't like the seating position, it felt a bit too 'compact' vs 'sporty'. I feel like it should have sat a bit lower and had a more sporty of a cabin. The catch is, like my B8, you would give up some leg room, so you are stuck sitting a bit more upright. Not as bad as a SUV / CUV, but still a disappointment that will likely carry over to the RS3.

...Audi WHY WHY WHY!!!
First off the shapes that they decided to use through the interior. Doors, handles, vents - this was a mistake. It give it a chunky clunky American 90-00's car look. Then with the wasted space with how the driver side vents were used, they replaced the void space with cheap piano black finish hard plastic to cheapen up the interior even more. I do like the passenger side vents, but the driver side (most important side) is pretty terrible. Around the nugget shifter is a bunch more cheap piano black finish. The interior is the farthest thing of what I would have expected from an Audi unfortunately.

Cheap materials and plenty of it. At least with a MK8 by way of materials, they didn't over do it with cheap materials. The 8Y makes up for itself in other aspects, but when you walk through the rest of the Audi showroom, the 8Y really shows its place as the bottom of the line-up.

As for the drive, I truly enjoyed the power actually from the 2.0T and I know there was a bit of power down low that was missing. My MK7.5 Golf R fixed that same problem with an ECU tune and I expect the S3 can be easily fixed just the same. Not a big concern for me. The 7-speed DSG, excellent, I regret not getting it in my MK7.5 Golf R or I think this whole car search would have been easier. The Haldex tune is also a requirement, again lacking but easily fixable.

Suspension and chassis is something I care about as well. To be honest though the 8Y S3 felt like my Golf R. That's not a good thing though. Yes it has the same chassis, but that is actually the problem. Even with the drive select set to something more comfortable, the 'economy' chassis showed its colors. Is it a terrible thing? Everything that I enjoy about the Golf R is still right here in the 8Y chassis. That somewhat stiff ride that makes you want to zip around the city like no ones business. Tack in the suspension and honestly it's a great package. It did show my age though, as I started questioning whether I wanted to get into a more comfortable of a ride...I feel like something could have been done here to make it a bit more soft in comfort / auto and more 'Race' in dynamic mode

From a driving standpoint, I would likely consider the S3 to replace my Golf R, especially stock vs stock. Compared to when I was looking at the 8V, it does feel much nicer in the 8Y where I felt there was a bit of a gap between the MK7.5 vs 8V in sportiness, but the 8Y felt good.

So where does that leave me? Well I am not buying a 8Y S3, and I feel like the improvements in the rear diff and the 2.5T is going to make for a fun upgrade over the Golf R. However, I am a little bit concerned. The interior mostly, and then when you factor in the premium you are paying for the car overall - is a 8Y.5 RS3 going to be worth it? I still think Audi Canada is going to place it in that $75-80k range. I think going above that, puts it above the BMW M2 here in Canada, and so I think I would at that point give the 8Y.5 RS3 a hard pass. Keeping mind that a B9.5 S4 is going to be in the same range as well.

The B9.5 S4 was also something I test drove a bit ago, and I enjoyed it. It was more mature, with much more nicer of an 'Audi' interior. It was comfortable, and felt like the car you road trip, vs the grocery getter and short trips in the 8Y / MK7. The B9.5 also felt like an Audi, where the 8Y seems to missed that a bit.

Again, it's hard to keep reminding myself that this is the base Audi, then you look at the price and are reminded you are paying for one. I do like the my MK7.5 interior over the 8Y interior, and if I could upgrade the graphics in my instrument panel, toss in new seats - I would prefer my MK7.5 easily, which is sad as it is a GOLF! It does seem to make the MK7 that much more special. The MK8 has definitely grown on me, and the FL is a little bit interesting to me, though I would prefer a sedan as my next car.

All this has left me a bit nervous. The B9.5 S4 is being discontinued, and looking at what inventory is coming in -> black interior, carbon atlas, sport diff, adjustable dampening in either black or dayton grey /w Black Optics (or competition), could be hard to find and will a custom order still go through so late in the game? Possibly a B9.5 or B10 S5 would be the next option as the B10 A4 is said to be an EV.

So well looks like next three months will be interesting, to say the least in the car world and what happens around it!!

#101 ·
Coming from a 7.5R to a Mk8, I was glad I made the jump. Before you pull the trigger on an S3, I suggest taking a Mk8R for a test drive. The Magna Torque differential is crazy good compared to the Haldex system. And the only 2 cars that have the new awd system, is the latest gen RS3’s and the Mk8R. Taking it on mountain roads, it’s much more tail happy than the 7.5. The retched understeer is no more.

I’m currently on a Stage 1 E85 tune with no mods and am sitting at about 450hp. I no longer need to tune my awd system to keep up with the a higher power output like the UM Haldex tunes. The Magna torque vectoring system adapts to the new power just fine.

#102 ·
I definitely am in that boat. I am not sure I entirely want a hatchback which is the only little thing holding me back from getting one now.
The B9.5's are a bit more trouble then I expected as it seems impossible for me to find a CPO with the sports diff and adaptive suspension - if I am buying new, I get into the '8Y.5 RS3 vs B9.5 S4' customer order dilema.

So it comes back to yes the MK8 Golf R, which I am pretty sure I want over the MK8.5 R....M2? Maybe...

#104 ·
I bought a low mileage 2019 MK7.5 Golf R instead of a new MK8 Golf R. Part of it was availability of the new car and ADM if I found one, but after I saw the MK7.5 Golf R I knew that was what I wanted. It's so beautiful inside! It's the "little things", like the sliding cover over the cup holders, the popup cover for the storage cubby in the center stack, the glass infotainment display, and the digital dash with a very modern but still classic looking gauge cluster. The MK7.5 also has the sunglass holder overhead, the little side cubby on the dash, classic temperature controls, buttons on the steering wheel, and a volume knob. On the exterior I also prefer the small yellow side reflectors in the headlights instead the large rectangular reflectors cut into the body and I'm so happy not to have a sunroof. The old style sunroof in my 2010 MK6 Golf TDI is fine, but the newer ones that go up and over the roof with a glass panel on the roof in front of the sunroof are definitely not for me.

I also didn't need front brakes that are so big I couldn't mount the spare. My MK7.5 stops great for me, better than any car I ever owned, but I'm not a racer. I have a manual transmission and it's simply a joy to drive my car. The only thing I changed was going from 19" wheels to 18" wheels. For me, that was a very good decision.

In the MK8 I would like the new rear diff, memory seats, heated steering wheel, and head-up display, but I love my MK7.5 Golf R! To me it's the best Golf and the best Golf R ever made! I hope it lasts forever! My 2010 MK6 Golf TDI has over 200K miles! I still drive the TDI a bit more than the Golf R, but it's very hard to resist the Golf R when I make the choice each day.

Good luck with your decision Rudy_H.

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Reactions: daredeezy619
#2 · (Edited)
Engine

This section I expected originally to be longer. However, after the JB4 install last night, I feel like it will be very short. Wow what a difference this thing made (and any Stage I tune for that matter). Where the engine felt like it tapered off and didn't want to go any more through the RPM range, the JB4 helped in keeping it pulling through the range. It also is deceitfully quick. For example power delivery comes in as linear as stock, but more of it. When cruising down city streets that I would hover around 55-60 km/h. Without changing pedal modulation, glancing down the car would be doing 85-90 km/h. Huge ticket and something I need to become aware of now. I believe a downpipe, intercooler and opening up the intake / inlet flow is going to be the only other items in here in the future at this point. Otherwise, I feel like just mods to make sure that power is making it to the ground is what I will be doing - which I consider to be more drivetrain / suspension related.

Overall, I would HIGHLY recommend this mod for the price. Staying under warranty is a must for me and I am solely doing this to avoid the stupid debates of 'well your tune broke your thermostat'. I have no problems shelling out cash for a new turbo if it every came to that, for example, that is the risk I am willing to take and I feel I am responsible for.

Very easy install, however I would have liked to see some type of USB cover for the extension to the laptop. I put it in a zip lock bag, I understand the USB is designed for the elements, but would have been nice regardless. When warranty expires in under 4 years or so, I am sure I would go with a more permanent solution. Love it!

4/16/2019 - I started playing with JB values the last few days, in anticipation of a new downpipe that is being personally made by 42 Draft Designs. Will update thread more when it is available.

This led me down a long path of close to 4,000 posts / 157 pages and 3.5 yrs worth of posts in the JB thread to find the optimal settings out of box for the JB, and more particularly my situation. I hope this helps someone in the future.

As per George, you can use the same mappings regardless of whether you are adding other hardware, as things like downpipes won't affect the boost, rather the octane is what you want to watch. So I kind of modified the original spread sheet as George reviewed and made a slight adjustment to reduce low end torque, and I hope it helps out others in the future. It is recommended running Map 1 for a bit to make sure everything is happy before playing with Map 6. I hope I copied the settings accurately, but feel free to let me know if I missed something. I have uploaded the rest of the values to a spreadsheet on my personal Google Drive, for safe keeping, as there are some other maps that might be useful for others.

Currently I am running the Out of box Map 6, but will likely dial it back to Low Torque 93 octane when I get my DP

Out of Box Map 6Low Torque 91 octaneLow Torque 93 octaneHigh Torque 91 octaneHigh Torque 93 octaneHigh Torque 93 octane /w DP and IC

4/18/2019 - I thought I would toss a quick assessment of the car between a few maps. I have been running Map 1 for almost a year and its worth every penny. I decided with my downpipe coming soon to explore tunes. If I had to describe the maps I have tried I would say it this way.

The 'Low Torque 93 octane' is what I currently have it set on to try it out after being on the out of the box Map 6. It is very smooth, and makes the engine feel like it's a powerful 2.0L engine. Notice no mention of the turbo. I was driving around the city and immediately I feel like this is the tune you would want as a daily driver. When you compare how it makes boost compared to Map 6, it is literally smoothed out in the mid range which is great. Still the same max boost in the higher end.

The Map 1 which I had been using for the majority of the time, is a bit more aggressive, as in you feel more the turbo punch and I think is a little more exciting to drive with then the 'Low Torque 93 octane', but if you are like me after using the Map 6 out of box, you feel bad for your passengers necks as you stomp on it.

Map 6 out of box, is definitely the most fun one can have with the 6MT. However, I was a bit worried with how long can you enjoy the clutch. I never felt slipping, but it felt much more aggressive then the other two. I feel like it is the kind of map you take when you want to have fun. I'm itching to go back to it.

At this time I won't be trying the 'High Torque 93 octane' as you can see it is a lot more aggressive then Map 6, and I value my clutch. I kind of regret not going clutch then downpipe now, as I could have cranked the boost up to get me through the 'boring clutch upgrade'. End of day, if I had to recommend clutch or downpipe....I would say clutch and crank up the boost!!! Then downpipe

5/2/2019 - I installed my new toy today, courtesy of GermanOEM, installed by Foreign Motorsports but created by 42 Draft Design. It's their 3" catted downpipe in 304 stainless steel and v-clamps. Awesome work, and I love it. I switched back to Map 1 for the JB1, but there is something new about this car that just makes you grin all day long. Launch in 1st, throw it to 2nd and you got your hit of adrenaline for the day. I suppose it helps its a nice sunny day too.

The sound in race mode is spot on, normal (closed flaps) its quiet enough to have your mother in the car and not have her think you are 18 yrs old again.

Overall, it might not seem like at first like anything changed, but the power delivery is very smooth that you don't notice the extra power. This is where I think the benefit is. It also seems to have smoothed out the entire range. I use to shift early but I feel like the car just wants to keep revving now. I am running in 93 octane which is fine, but I don't feel like an increase of torque that will hamper my stock clutch. This is going to be a fun, and likely not ticket free summer.

I think I am completely sold on this car....I keep thinking about moving towards a M2 Comp, RS3, S5 Sportback or TT RS. However, there is just something of a joy in this car that I simply can't justify moving on from it. I am 1.5 years into ownership, and the fun it is to drive. Thank you VW for bringing this car to North America.

5/3/2021 - just finished upgrading my JB1 to a COBB Accessport, and using the off the shelf Stage III tune. I must say right away, wow! Many people don't like the tune, but I actually really like it so far while I wait for some clarification on my EQT tune. It's more so the comparison between the JB1 and a tune, it such a large change in responsiveness. I think the JB1 was good, but the COBB Accessport really finishes the power I want - where the EQT tune no doubt is going to clean things up even more. Full review coming when I get the EQT updated from 2.0 to 2.51.

#3 · (Edited)
Brakes, Chassis and Suspension

Last night since I had to swap out my winter tires to summer, I thought I would take the time to install some parts with the nice weather. The plan was to install the 034 dogbone mount insert, Unibrace UBQ and JB1. Out of the three, only got one done, and that is the Unibrace. Ran out of time to install the JB1, and the 034 dogbone mount insert was the wrong version...

Since this is the chassis section quick blurb about the Unibrace.
I must say, compared to the part this is replacing this seems to be something VW / Audi would have put on the RS3 / or a 'higher' Golf R. The product is solid, and yet doesn't add a whole lot of weight. Where the stock part was literally a piece of metal tying in the back end of the car, this includes the mid as well.

Overall impression is 100% on the workmanship, looks excellent. As for changes to the dynamics of the car is to be seen. I literally bought the car and put on winter tires, so I might not be able to give a definite impression as I am now on summers. That said, from the transformation a similar product did to my B8 S4, this is going to be a treat on the highway ramps and roundabouts!

Picture is taken from rear to front, where the four nuts are literally the piece that tied left to right, where the new ties in front to back as well. Can't wait to push it

EMD Springs + RSB
Thoughts on EMD RSB

5/3/2019 - I m surprised I never commented on the MSS Spring kit that I installed in November yet. Overall I really like them and they are definitely an upgrade over the EMD springs. Now that I have them lowered it does retain almost stock like performance in all modes, just a tad more stiff. Last weekend I was taken out to a nice windy road and it just felt great with the RSB and these springs, if it wasnt for the fact there were 4 people in the car, I think I would have had a lot more fun with them, especially since they were little known roads and an 80 km/h speed limit.

One little thing I found though was that the driver front collar had seized up and I was unable to lower the car. Going forward, each time I raise or lower the car I need to remember to put some anti-seize lubricant on the collars to ensure the next time I use it, they will keep working. Likely the same stuff I should be using on my garage door as well!

12/18/2019 - Received a new revision to the springs, in that a spacer was put in place with lower adjustable collars. This may help with being able to adjust in the future. If things are stuck I can fit a spanner and adjust the springs. We will see how this goes, right now the car sits much higher, but in the spring I will need to review the set-up and see how the next few days go after settling. If everything is good, I will leave things alone until I get new winter rubber with the proper height of side wall, before seeing how low I can and set / walk away from it. Alignment and hopefully corner balance, lock it out and enjoy!

06/08/2020 - I think this is starting to wrap up this section of mods. After a quick boot around the the back country roads with some twisties, it feels like there is no corner this car can't handle. Not sure if some additional settling is required, but it seems things are a little more stiffer then before, but I hope to have more to report in the next few days.

Outstanding I think is a FSB when I am ready to do clutch and front control arms bushings. However, besides the bushings it will be a tough call with the potential of throwing off the new dynamics that I am quickly growing to love. I forgot to grab pics with the excitement of new mods.

02/08/2021 - performed the adjustment to the DCC shocks - found a slight more positive change, less bounce on roads where I found it to be a problem

10/05/2021 - looks like the creek I find on occasion has a fix. Putting this here so that when I get to shocks I can get rid of this

#4 · (Edited)
Drivetrain

Today I thought I would start monkeying around with the clutch and shifter over the winter to get it dialed in to where I want it. There was a few free modifications that seem interesting, so I got started right away.

Personal observation, the clutch seems extremely soft and I never seemed to get it quite right on where the clutch was gripping. It's that feedback that I want a little more of when slipping the clutch on a quick launch for example or to smooth out overall driving. The shifter isn't terrible, but previous cars were Hyundai's and a B5 Audi S4 which were never renowned for stellar shifting experiences. So likely in my build you won't find a whole lot of tweaks to shifting, I feel like the short shifter will be the only thing to do from what I have been reading thus far

So begins the first free modification!

Clutch Pedal spring delete
Free 6MT mod (part deux): clutch pedal spring removal

I must say it really made a great difference. I can actually feel the clutch now and it doesn't feel super soft. I only had a day so far, so need to spend more time adjusting to the new feel of the clutch. I have it stored in a bag with my OEM parts for other mods in case a meatier clutch is installed. I feel like this would help greatly in making in softening up the clutch in the future, right now it feels great!

Clutch Bleeder Diaphragm delete
Free MT6 wonder mod: OEM bleeder delay removal

Shorty's modified OEM+ Short Shifter + Clutch Stop + 42 Design Shifter Bushings / Shifter Relay Lever Bushings, review :
Shorty's Short Shifter + Clutch Stop Review

Installed the 034 Dogbone Mount - everything you read about it is true! I found additionally powering through a corner it felt much more responsive. With the glue the R seems to have, this is giddy fun to drive. Shifting feels as good as I can imagine it with all the above modifications.

I feel like the only two future items left here is a new clutch, possibly restore the clutch pedal spring, and the Haldex tune which I am going to try to save for this summer. Otherwise the car from this prospective is what I would consider beyond my expectations, nearly perfect. The only exception of modifications, is seeing how I can get more power from the engine to the road down, and will continue to update. Driving experience - excellent

Ringer Racer Stage III /w street pressure plate

I decided to go with this set-up as it maintained the OEM dual mass flywheel, as I have done SMF in the past and always got annoyed with the chatter that comes with it. There is of course a performance hit, as the engine is able to rev more freely with a SMF. The clutch set-up should be good for 575 ft-lbs of torque. I was torn between this or the Clutchmaster FX350 and decided to try this one out. There was a great post that provided all the options for us 6MT - and after much research went this path.

Wavetrac LSD

The XDS+ system utilizes the ABS sensors to determine slip. When slip is determined it will brake the wheel to maintain control. The downside is there is a delay, and it isn't incredibly precise as to how much braking it should or should not do. As well it brakes the wheel causing you to reduce speed. Haldex is a FWD biased system, so it makes sense to have a mechanical LSD in the front. Often too with an open diff on a FWD, when you launch you will get one wheel spinning faster then the other which causes torque steer. Again, the mechanical LSD fixes this to provide you with two clean tire marks on a hard launch!

During the install, they noted I was missing a hardware kit that is required to install the Wavetrac. This added an additional cost for ring gear bolt kit and bearings.

Thrust Bearing Repair
For more information, start here: EA888 Gen 3 Crank Walk Issues for 6MT Ownerz
Great post to show what's going to be done: What causes thrust bearing failure?

#5 · (Edited)
Interior / Exterior
- euro rear head rests

My first mod, was a requirement from the start as I loved the look in my S4 and required it in the Golf R

- 3D MAXpider Mats
Part of the winter package, I immediately ordered some 3D Maxpider Mats. Awesome fit and finish. There was another mat I was interested in but they were on back order until ?? We will see how these go for the next few winters and go from there

Definitely money well spent as I missed the storage. It's nice to have the tray to hide slightly larger items under it

10/22/2021 - more of a to be cont'd post - they were done by the Rim Doctor here in town. I thought he did a great job at a very reasonable price for the Pret's. Unfortunately, the temperature dropped, summer tires are scarce in Canada right now - so I have some excitement for March / April!

#6 · (Edited)
spare slot - returned dragy as after a few launches got annoyed with the engine protection, and finding a nice flat 1/4 mile stretch has been quite the challenge
works great, the 6MT on the other hand not so much. Also by the time I found something worth launching on, I was a good 20 minutes away and time has never been on my side to be able to play around.

#7 · (Edited)
OBDEleven - will update when have settings, will try to only put the Adaptions in here if you are looking to skip using credits

Expanded electronic differential lock
03 Brakes -> Adaption -> Expanded electronic differential lock -> Old: Standard, New: Off
Notes : The XDS electronic differential lock is an extension of the familiar EDL function. However, XDS responds not to loss of traction but to the unloading of the front wheel on the inside of the corner when cornering fast. XDS applies pressure from the ESC hydraulics to the inside wheel to prevent it from spinning. This improves traction and reduces the tendency to understeer. The level of pressure applied ranges from approximately 5 to 15 bar. The impression when driving is similar to that of a limited-slip differential in toned-down form. The precise, one-sided build-up of brake pressure makes cornering even sportier, quicker and more accurate.

This setting was moved from Strong, to Off, after installing the Wavetrac LSD

Starting vibration reduction
03 Brakes -> Adaption -> Starting vibration reduction -> Old: Strong, New: Deactivated
Notes: Removes intervention during launch of car in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears

Rough Road optimization
03 Brakes -> Adaption -> Rough road optimization -> Old: activated, New: Not activated
Notes: This seems to have smoothed out 1-2 and 2-3 shifting a LOT. Will try some hard launches, and see if there are any differences in handling

Acoustic measure, wiring logic
22 All Wheel Control -> Acoustic measure, wiring logic -> Old: Standard New : Increased traction
Notes : It does sound a bit more noisier, almost like you have studded tires on in the summer time. Not quite that loud, but still noticeable. I also feel like there is a bit of a vibration in the cabin but I want to give it more seat time to determine. Performance wise, the car feels a lot more lively on acceleration while in ECS Sport mode, and turn in into parking spots seems to have this odd grippy feeling. On ramps, I haven't tried on my 'test' ones but I feel like I have been able to get an extra 5-8 km/h on the one leaving work with confidence.

Lane Assist Intervention
A5 (Front Sensor Driver Assistance System -> Adaption -> Peronalization of intervention moment at T 15 on -> Old: Last setting, New: Early
Notes: This helps in keeping your car in the lane, rather then ping ponging between the lines

Dash board style
17 Dash Board -> Adaption -> Display depiction -> Old: Version 1, New : Version 3
Notes: Slight changes in display, a few new animations, looks much more cleaner

Throttle Response
44 Steering Assistance -> Security Access -> 19249 -> Adaption -> Driving profile switchover -> Old: Incremental, controlled over time, New: Direct, controlled over threshold
Notes: I had always felt like I was missing something with modulating the throttle and clutch, resulting in not as nice shifts as I had in my previous cars. This cleared it right up, I was thinking of going pedal box but no more!

Added via apps :
Heated seats memory
DRLs off with handbrake
Windows function via remote
Pop trunk via remote

#8 · (Edited)
Got my car back yesterday from tint and PPF. Went with the standard 35% tint because of new laws in Ontario for all cars model year 2017+

After asking the owner of the shop who I trusted with my cars for the past 10+ years with tinting and PPF, which was better Xpel or Suntek, he recommended a brand new product he has been using the past two years. Premium Shield. Brief history is that VentureShield was bought out by 3M because of how advanced their product was in it's time. After the contract with the original owner of Venture Shield / 3M expired, the owner moved on and to Premium Shield which is what is today. New compounds and the owner of the shop highly recommended the product so I gave it a try - reviews and videos I have read are placing it so far ahead of Xpel and Suntek. Forums say different because the Xpel and Suntek are tried / tested and true

I hope once a year I remember this post, and report back on how it looks and holds up during a Canadian winter in the snow belt!

#9 ·
quick review of the ratcheting arm rest

Decided to not do the zip tie mod, but I kind of regret it. The position locked wasn't bad, it wasn't 100% comfortable for myself so I thought I would get it to that perfect spot with the ratcheting arm rest.
Installed the arm rest on the weekend, and I think I am in an odd in between spot for the arm rest. Bottomed out is too low. One click is a tad bit too low, but two clicks is uncomfortably high. However, the arm rest when locked felt like it was at the one click location when I was driving it the past week or so.

Advice to others, do the zip tie mod, if you really hate it then get the ratcheting arm rest, but I feel different people might have better success. I was a bit worried about getting proper ergonomics, only because I broke my wrist a few years ago. It gets bothersome after a period of time at work without good ergonomics. I don't see it being a large problem driving but thought I would give it best effort.

Followed the youtube video below, and got a great deal off Club Wolfsburg member :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jVLxZK1rIM

#11 ·
I love the ratcheting armrest, one thing to keep in mind to fine-tune your arm position is you can adjust your seat height.. i was the same with you, 2 clicks was too low, 3 clips was too high, so i raised the back of my seat a touch and then it was PERFECT. I would hate to be stuck at one position but i get why people do it. Also not having to deal with those soft bolts is a godsend.

ACC is amazing for road trips, i went to Montreal and back in a day and it was very relaxing, right until the moment i started to hit the GTA traffic again haha.

#10 ·
It was the day before winter holidays, and no one was stirring around the office. I refused to use a vacation day, and the Friday sickness didn't hit me. Instead since it was so quiet, I decided to give my 350 km / 2 week review of the Golf R.

The easy parts are the interior and exterior so I will hit those off first.

Exterior, I regret getting BLACK! I feel like the black makes the car look a little bit more plain then going with the Indium Grey Metallic which was my second colour choice, outside of the custom colours. This is my first hatch and I pushed myself to grab one. Overall it's different waking up to instead of the typical coupes and sedans I had in the past. I will admit, I think a tad of the edge I have with the hatchback is the fact it is similiar to a lot of the SUV / CUV's on the road today. If you knew me, I am very anti SUV / CUV / truck (people that actually use trucks exempted)

It seems that many have a love hate relationship with the MK7.5. In the end, I am happy with the decision to stick with the MK7.5, and that is no slight at the MK7. I can go into details, but there were some things I wish the MK7 had, and wish the MK7.5 was more like. Versus the competition, quite simply the package that VW created for the Golf R is what I wanted more then the Focus RS which at the end of the day was the only close competitor.

Interior, you would think in the past this would be shorter then the exterior because for me personally I always had a passion for great looking exterior. I do enjoy the interior for an 'economy car'. The past year I did some travelling around the US and had a few car rentals, must say the Golf interior felt nicer then a lot of the others out there. It is simple, yet practical with little details which I really enjoy. For example the fact the cup holder cover slides over nicely to fit a phone - I wish someone would bring a wireless charger replacement to the market!!!

The virtual cockpit is something I honestly could do without as I still find myself only caring about the digital speedo to watch my speed. The other 'features' don't do anything greatly for me - I do have a roadtrip all holiday season (400 kms to visit friends up north, then driving with my gf back to her home in Montreal and back 1,200 kms). I feel the navigation is the only item that is a real perk - but for how often I use it I could have done without it.

Space, ok this is something I never thought I would ever enjoy. The B8 S4 even though a larger car, felt much smaller in the cabin. I find everything about the Golf R as being comfortable including the back seats. One of the space consumers was the sport seats in the S4. I have a small gripe with the R seats, but I actually like the fact that they are comfortable (not the same as the S4) HOWEVER, I don't have to move them when I have passengers. As mentioned above, 1,600 kms this week, I am hoping to getting these seats worked in is all it's going to take.

The infotainment system is such a large step from anything I had before. I feel like 2015ish is when things changed for the better. The first week I felt distracted playing with all the toys and configuring stuff, but that has died down. The sound system also is a great step compared to anything I have had in the past. If I had to give a 10 out of 10 on anything, I am just loving everything to do with this part of the experience. It is more then I even wanted, including everything I wanted.

After a senior management drop in, and some quick research required before lunch because of it, I decided I am going to need to hold off on the driving experience feedback till another time. I want to go home!! IT'S FRIDAY of the holiday season!!

#14 · (Edited)
I thought I would toss in a blurb about the car now that I reached over 2,000 km in one weekend of driving. The following big trips I did over the winter holidays :
1) Kitchener to Toronto and return - pickup GF from airport
2) Kitchener to Midland and return - visit friends (approx 220 / 440 km round trip)
3) Kitchener to Montreal and return - take GF home and spend New Years (approx 630 / 1260 km round trip)

During the time, the weather was freezing cold, and we got dumped on especially the farther north you went. Perfect weather to test out the R. My posts though are more focused on the last two trips and winter driving. For winter set-up, this was all on Michelin X-ice Xi3's.

The drive to Midland was not very eventful, however while chilling with friends over Christmas we got dumped on.

The next morning we dug my car out first so we could blow out the snow, and I was impressed with how much traction the Haldex system along with main power / weight over the front powering wheels worked. You forget about this benefit with the RWD Torsen based I had in my Audi. The Golf R was fantastic for getting out of snow even from a stand still that was about 6 inches higher then the bumper. It wasn't until I slowed down backing out of the driveway because the snowbank was too high and snowmobiles had just been screaming down the street, so I was too cautious coming out of the driveway and got stuck.

This did however make for a fun drive to my next friends place who had a condo at a ski resort on the way back home.

I couldn't get all the snow off the car as you can see in the front grill / vents especially with needing to plow through snow. I simply couldn't break the tires free from the snow. I must say between the two S4's which I felt were tanks in the snow (B5 and B8), the Golf R has taken that crown from them. If it weren't for the snow in my wheels causing imbalance to remind me how fast I was going, I think I would have never realized how fast I was actually going, pure confidence.

The second leg of the road trip was great. Complaints about the seats are gone. They aren't as snug as the B8 S4's, and the leather not as nice, but I honestly had no complaints with the seats. It was a concern I had posted about but I feel like getting a set of Recaro's is more or less off the table unless I want to get into a bit of weight reduction as well. I still wish I had memory seats, my brother joined us for the roadtrip to Montreal and between the two of us it was annoying to find my perfect seating position again. We don't have much different but it was enough to be annoying. As well, the leg room with 3 grown adults in the car was fantastic. Everyone was able to sit / nap comfortably, and even if there was a 4th person it would have been comfortable. Luggage wise we had 3 'carry-ons' and a number of gifts to share. No lack of space, and if there were 4 carry-ons, we still would have had enough space. Obviously it was larger luggage it would have been tight - but the Golf R is EXCELLENT for a weekend away.

Another concern I had with the car is the amount of digital components used, and mostly around the virtual cockpit and winter weather. I had previous cars where during winter time HVAC systems wouldn't work, to displays not being able to power up. The car sat in Montreal for 3 days without being turned on. Also the weather with wind chill had as some days down to -32 C.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/montreal-cold-weather-streak-1.4470272

This wasn't as bad as my snowboard trip several years ago with my B5 S4 where we did Le Massif, where I parked at the near the summit of the mountain and temperatures reached -50 C. However, not a single glitch to report, not even at startup. I was expecting a slow start-up of the virtual cockpit but it went flawless. Well done VW, and although I hope not to put your product through the same extreme weathers as I did in northern Quebec, for my own sake as well, my confidence is high.

As we came home from Montreal, we hit Guelph ON, and there was a snow storm + major accident in Kitchener (approx 15 km), so off to the back roads. Again, the car simply impressed me beyond belief. Even turning from one back road to the other and giving it extra gas, the car simply stayed glued to the snow with minimal oversteer. Yes I was feathering the gas, but even from a stop in a straight away the car launched like it was a clear road. My brother was like 'umm maybe the '06 330i is about to be retired for a GTI...or MK7 R'

All this praise though comes with one negative observation. DAP. Again I didn't want the car with it, and it has been an annoyance since it snowed. It proved to continue the trend. As one can imagine for a long drive cruise control is almost essential, especially on a car built in 2018...not 1980. Unfortunately as snow built up on the sensor (VW badge on the front), so goes adaptive cruise control with no option to use regular cruise control. This will be a complaint I am going to express on my first oil change. We did make a stop at OWASCO VW in Oshawa which was visible from the 401 on the way to Montreal. I was told you could turn off (not disable) the Front Assist and it would de-activate the adaptive cruise control. I tried and it appeared that adaptive cruise was stil active. Unfortunately for the rest of the trip the sensor was never blocked by slush so I can't confirm for sure that I would still have cruise control.

This said, I am going to look into adjustments to the ACC and see if I can tighten up the gap for the ACC from 3 seconds to something more like 1.5-2 seconds which is more of a standard for driving. 'Very Close' is 3 seconds currently but there must be a VAGCOM over ride to narrow the gap. That way if I want the 3 second space I can have it in 'Normal', but a tighter distance with 'Very Close'. The car brakes itself anyway I found in case your reaction isn't 100%. Super annoying when trying to pass Ontario drivers that refuse to move out of the left lane to allow faster traffic to pass, in so many ways.

That said - I did enjoy ACC, I could literally leave it on for the large stretches of road, but as congestion and aggressive drivers kick in, the ACC is out of it's element.

The other minor gripe I had was with the windshield wipers. They seemed to smudge right where the rain sensor was. So if I sprayed to clear the windows, it would keep going since it never completely cleaned where the sensor was. This would cause the whole windshield to smudge up after a few extra wipes. I feel like a better wiper blade will fix this in the future - seems to be a problem with every new vehicle I had.

Though winter just started, I am excited for the spring time to really put it through the ringer...already past the 1,000 km break in, and I am sure the 5,000 km first oil change is almost here before the mods kick in.